Athletic article on Bills Fan Expectations

TBD version of Joe B's Athletic Survey  

220 members have voted

1. 1. 1. How many regular-season games will the Bills win in 2021?

• 17-15
    • 14-13
    • 12-11
    • 10-9
    • 8 or less
  2. 2. 2. What needs to happen for the Bills season to be considered a success?

• Win It All!!! Superbowl!
    • Superbowl appearance
    • AFC Championship game repeat
    • AFC Divisional round
    • Win AFC East
    • Playoffs, Baby!
  3. 3. 3. Do the Bills have what it takes to win the Super Bowl in 2021

• Yes
    • No

On 7/8/2021 at 11:40 AM, RyanC883 said:

I think with our talent and depth at QB, DL, and the secondary, we are primed to win 13-14 games.  I suppose I could consider making the AFC Championship game a "success", but I have a hard time doing that.  This team is built to win it all, not become another perennial playoff team that never gets it done.  If we stay healthy, and the D improves in run D and pass rush, (and I expect the RB game to improve as well) we can beat anyone.  

not sure we need Allen to carry us the way Rodgers carries GB.  First, we have better WR (and potentially TE) group than GB, and hopefully our running game matches theirs.  Williams and Moss flashed at the end of last year.  Second, our secondary is likely the best in the NFL, and if our pass rush and run D get their act together, we could routinely hold teams below 17 points, and even give elite teams like KC major issues.  

Ryan, I am so hopeful they give a fair shot to Antonio Williams, but it was only 1 play for 13 yards.  He ran on that one play like exactly what we needed.  I commented earlier a serious open competition where he gets a real chance in 3 preseason games may prove very fruitful.  I don’t know whether moving forward he can be versatile and play a role in ST as that would certainly help.

As far as wins, I’m down with 13-14 and have been for awhile especially because House tells me the Ertz deal is almost done. 🙏🤣🤪🤩🦬🏋️♂️  Sorry Chand that was easy.  Just a joke joke (even though I do really want him if the right deal for us).

A SB appearance I know is not optimal, but that is a significant step as we all know that means we beat KC and the teams before in the playoffs.  That ostensibly means we are now the best team in the AFC.  I don’t know how that isn’t a success.  Don’t get me wrong, I want The crown and I’m definitely 60/40, we can do it.  Making the SB and maybe losing in OT is not a horrific ending.  It’s certainly better than the mess with the Skins and Cowgirls final.  There was no shame in the Giants.  That was poor coaching, but a heck of a game.

Edited by machine gun kelly
  • Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, RyanC883 said:

I think with our talent and depth at QB, DL, and the secondary, we are primed to win 13-14 games.  I suppose I could consider making the AFC Championship game a "success", but I have a hard time doing that.  This team is built to win it all, not become another perennial playoff team that never gets it done.  If we stay healthy, and the D improves in run D and pass rush, (and I expect the RB game to improve as well) we can beat anyone.  

not sure we need Allen to carry us the way Rodgers carries GB.  First, we have better WR (and potentially TE) group than GB, and hopefully our running game matches theirs.  Williams and Moss flashed at the end of last year.  Second, our secondary is likely the best in the NFL, and if our pass rush and run D get their act together, we could routinely hold teams below 17 points, and even give elite teams like KC major issues.  

GB 2 TE's caught 14 TDs.  Their RBs ran for 1800+ yards, over 5 YPC and 13 TDs.  

Like last year, Josh will be carrying this Offense. 

• Agree 2

6 minutes ago, NewEra said:

12 win

if we don’t win the super bowl I will most likely see this season as a failure. 

yes, we can absolutely win the super bowl this season.  

Why can't they win more than 12 games then?

I think we may have an easier schedule on paper compared to last season, but each of our division rivals improved in key areas over the offseason.

If Tua makes progress and they're able to keep Xavien Howard, the Dolphins could challenge for the division. (They went 10-6 last year)

The Jets got a potential star rookie qb, signed Corey Davis, and underrated star DE Carl Lawson. Most importantly, they got rid of Adam Gase.

The Patriots got a rookie qb who is better suited to their offense than Cam. They filled out their receiving group with two athletic TE's and two experienced WR's. Their defense and running game will keep them in games (we only beat them in the 2nd game because of a well-timed fumble)

I think the Texans, Jaguars, and Falcons are our only "easy" games, but it's too early to tell. Our passing offense is near its ceiling, and we will need improvement from our running game and defense in order to improve significantly. I see another 13 win season, but that's actually more impressive because the division got a lot tougher.

• Agree 1

19 minutes ago, Mr. WEO said:

Why can't they win more than 12 games then?

They can…….

My prediction is 12 regular season wins.  

Where did I insinuate that they can’t win more than 12 games?   

17 minutes ago, NewEra said:

12 win

if we don’t win the super bowl I will most likely see this season as a failure. 

yes, we can absolutely win the super bowl this season.  

I don't know if I'd say failure if they get to the Super Bowl and don't win. I would say disappointing I think but not a failure. If they don't make a deep playoff run like last season I would go with failure then. I really believe Bills can get back to the AFCCG though. Although some repeating playoff teams from last season (including Bills) will be tougher and depends how cards fall, still think they have a really good chance to get back that far.

But if they are once again playing in the AFCCG and this time win to get to SuperBowl and end up losing.....I definitely wouldn't go as far to call the season a failure as I would disappointing. In any event though relatively speaking, all teams I guess would kinda consider it to be a failure if they don't get to/win a Championship. So I get it in those terms since a Championship is the main goal for all teams.

I'm not so much concerned with regular season wins than this team taking the next step which is at the very least representing the AFC in the SB.

Either way the proverbial window is still open for this team and they need to do whatever it takes to win a title in the next few years before Allen gets a huge deal and the overall talent around him starts to erode which is what you will also likely see happen to the Chiefs after the 2021 season.

3 minutes ago, Patrick_Duffy said:

I don't know if I'd say failure if they get to the Super Bowl and don't win. I would say disappointing I think but not a failure. If they don't make a deep playoff run like last season I would go with failure then. I really believe Bills can get back to the AFCCG though. Although some repeating playoff teams from last season (including Bills) will be tougher and depends how cards fall, still think they have a really good chance to get back that far.

But if they are once again playing in the AFCCG and this time win to get to SuperBowl and end up losing.....I definitely wouldn't go as far to call the season a failure as I would disappointing. In any event though relatively speaking, all teams I guess would kinda consider it to be a failure if they don't get to/win a Championship. So I get it in those terms since a Championship is the main goal for all teams.

I hear ya.  I feel similarly, that’s why I wrote “most likely” see the season as a failure if we don’t win the SB.   

6 minutes ago, Allen2Diggs said:

I think we may have an easier schedule on paper compared to last season, but each of our division rivals improved in key areas over the offseason.

If Tua makes progress and they're able to keep Xavien Howard, the Dolphins could challenge for the division. (They went 10-6 last year)

The Jets got a potential star rookie qb, signed Corey Davis, and underrated star DE Carl Lawson. Most importantly, they got rid of Adam Gase.

The Patriots got a rookie qb who is better suited to their offense than Cam. They filled out their receiving group with two athletic TE's and two experienced WR's. Their defense and running game will keep them in games (we only beat them in the 2nd game because of a well-timed fumble)

I think the Texans, Jaguars, and Falcons are our only "easy" games, but it's too early to tell. Our passing offense is near its ceiling, and we will need improvement from our running game and defense in order to improve significantly. I see another 13 win season, but that's actually more impressive because the division got a lot tougher.

Sorry - we beat them in the second game 38-9 a complete domination from start to finish.  We did only beat them by a FG in game 1, but we were the better team - just needed to finally get that win and cement ourselves as the better team.  Game 1 versus NE was mental more than anything.

The Dolphins we’re 10-6 solely on the basis of the defense.  I would not expect them to repeat the turnover fest that kept them in games - everything I see suggests a regression to the mean for the Dolphins and around a 0.500 record 8-9, 9-8 or so.

The Pats spent a ton on offense, but I think they will be a run, short pass game team and neither their QBs - nor their WRs scare me - I think they will be better than last year, but are still going to lose some close games that Brady would have won.  They are a 0.500 level team also.

The Jets intrigue me, but Corey Davis and Carl Lawson do nothing for me on that team.  Lawson had a great contract year on team that went no where.  I picture it very much like Phillips going to Arizona (or Lawson going to Miami) then getting hurt and/or doing nothing.  They put everything into the contract year.  I think the Jets are 3-4 years away - assuming they don’t get impatient and blow it up again.  I am not sure they got the 4th or 5th best QB in the draft at the 2nd spot, but my guess is long term he is closer to Darnold than Lawrence or even Fields or Lance.

I guessed 11-12 wins for the Bills - I could easily see 14, but realistically the last few games will depend on seeding and guys they want to rest.  I would also consider it successful to get back to the AFCCG again, but that obviously is not the goal - the actual goal is to win it all and the Bills can do that.

• Like (+1) 2

9 minutes ago, NewEra said:

I hear ya.  I feel similarly, that’s why I wrote “most likely” see the season as a failure if we don’t win the SB.   

Gotcha!... I mean if Bills do get back to AFCCG and happen to win this time, we all will be going nuts to the point it may be a heath risk for some lol. But if it goes down like that, during that moment all of us will consider it a success

Edited by Patrick_Duffy
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

40 minutes ago, NewEra said:

They can…….

My prediction is 12 regular season wins.  

Where did I insinuate that they can’t win more than 12 games?   

When you said you predict they will not win more than 12 games.

16 minutes ago, Rochesterfan said:

Sorry - we beat them in the second game 38-9 a complete domination from start to finish.  We did only beat them by a FG in game 1, but we were the better team - just needed to finally get that win and cement ourselves as the better team.  Game 1 versus NE was mental more than anything.

The Dolphins we’re 10-6 solely on the basis of the defense.  I would not expect them to repeat the turnover fest that kept them in games - everything I see suggests a regression to the mean for the Dolphins and around a 0.500 record 8-9, 9-8 or so.

The Pats spent a ton on offense, but I think they will be a run, short pass game team and neither their QBs - nor their WRs scare me - I think they will be better than last year, but are still going to lose some close games that Brady would have won.  They are a 0.500 level team also.

The Jets intrigue me, but Corey Davis and Carl Lawson do nothing for me on that team.  Lawson had a great contract year on team that went no where.  I picture it very much like Phillips going to Arizona (or Lawson going to Miami) then getting hurt and/or doing nothing.  They put everything into the contract year.  I think the Jets are 3-4 years away - assuming they don’t get impatient and blow it up again.  I am not sure they got the 4th or 5th best QB in the draft at the 2nd spot, but my guess is long term he is closer to Darnold than Lawrence or even Fields or Lance.

I guessed 11-12 wins for the Bills - I could easily see 14, but realistically the last few games will depend on seeding and guys they want to rest.  I would also consider it successful to get back to the AFCCG again, but that obviously is not the goal - the actual goal is to win it all and the Bills can do that.

The first game NE had us on the ropes in the last minutes, then Newton got sloppy carrying the ball near the goal line.  Second game was two teams headed in completely different directions and we spanked them (felt GREAT).  This year, different season and different teams, can't really predict it.  Their defense last year in a bad season for them...was still number 7 in scoring defense.  If you look at what they added, its going to be rough sledding against them, and their punter is a weapon.  Their WRs don't scare me either, but aside from Moss and Welker, who ever did?  Thats not how they play and I suspect they will use their TE's and RB's in such a way that they don't need a traditional WR1 and never really have.  Our number one and two cover guys may be better than their receivers, but they'll throw to options three and four where it favors them, thats how they work.   Quality low budget guys, lots of depth.  Their Achilles heal is QB, otherwise their overall roster may be better than ours.  We outclass them really badly in QB1 and WR1 and thats all, they have us in just about every other position grouping.  

I think having to play them twice a year is a great thing for us, a great measuring stick and challenge that will make us better.  

I agree on the Jets and also think they should have kept Darnold, drafting a QB was a mistake.  Now they have a rookie QB and two unknowns backing him up with no veteran to mentor...thats just dumb.  Their D-line looks good, if CJ Mosley can make a comeback their front 7 isn't bad.  They might win 5-6 games and hopefully steal one from NE or MIA.  They don't have much offensive firepower, but they might sneak up on some people and win with Saleh's enthusiasm (the intangibles).

Dolphins....meh, I think Tua will be a low success/not quite a bust and isn't the answer for them.  I think they regress, maybe badly.  

We win 12 games, the division, host a home playoff game, maybe even home in the Divisional round again.  AFCCG repeat.

22 minutes ago, Mr. WEO said:

When you said you predict they will not win more than 12 games.

I predicted 12 wins.  Please explain how predicting 12 wins is the same as saying “they can’t win more than 12 games”.  I’ll wait

6 minutes ago, P Riv said:

The first game NE had us on the ropes in the last minutes, then Newton got sloppy carrying the ball near the goal line.  Second game was two teams headed in completely different directions and we spanked them (felt GREAT).  This year, different season and different teams, can't really predict it.  Their defense last year in a bad season for them...was still number 7 in scoring defense.  If you look at what they added, its going to be rough sledding against them, and their punter is a weapon.  Their WRs don't scare me either, but aside from Moss and Welker, who ever did?  Thats not how they play and I suspect they will use their TE's and RB's in such a way that they don't need a traditional WR1 and never really have.  Our number one and two cover guys may be better than their receivers, but they'll throw to options three and four where it favors them, thats how they work.   Quality low budget guys, lots of depth.  Their Achilles heal is QB, otherwise their overall roster may be better than ours.  We outclass them really badly in QB1 and WR1 and thats all, they have us in just about every other position grouping.  

I think having to play them twice a year is a great thing for us, a great measuring stick and challenge that will make us better.  

I agree on the Jets and also think they should have kept Darnold, drafting a QB was a mistake.  Now they have a rookie QB and two unknowns backing him up with no veteran to mentor...thats just dumb.  Their D-line looks good, if CJ Mosley can make a comeback their front 7 isn't bad.  They might win 5-6 games and hopefully steal one from NE or MIA.  They don't have much offensive firepower, but they might sneak up on some people and win with Saleh's enthusiasm (the intangibles).

Dolphins....meh, I think Tua will be a low success/not quite a bust and isn't the answer for them.  I think they regress, maybe badly.  

We win 12 games, the division, host a home playoff game, maybe even home in the Divisional round again.  AFCCG repeat.

Not sure I agree - the play he fumbled was a 2nd and 10 on the 19 - even if he doesn’t fumble it would have been 3rd and 6 from the 15.  The most likely outcome was still a FG to tie the game and I still liked the Bills chances in OT.  I don’t think we were on the ropes as NE never lead in the game - they kept having to match us.

I think NE has talent, but they are not a great team.  I think their TEs are better, but our top 4 maybe 5 WRs start for them and they really do not have good WRs or depth and if they get rid of Harry it is even worse. I also think there OLine is not any better than the Bills - they have some good run blockers, but pass blocking is not a strength and the last time they lost their OLine coach - the line fell apart and they had to bring him back after a year - so I expect their line to be a liability this year.

Their defense has loads of potential whether Gilmore plays or not, but they will need to be a top scoring defense because that offense is going to be in the bottom of the league scoring.  

I expect at least 1 tight game and one comfortable win against them, but I just do not seem them hanging around at the end of the season.  Looking realistically at their schedule I see them looking good early, but starting with LAC at the end of Oct. going 3-7 down the stretch for a 7-10 or 8-9 record.  

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 2

10 minutes ago, Rochesterfan said:

Not sure I agree - the play he fumbled was a 2nd and 10 on the 19 - even if he doesn’t fumble it would have been 3rd and 6 from the 15.  The most likely outcome was still a FG to tie the game and I still liked the Bills chances in OT.  I don’t think we were on the ropes as NE never lead in the game - they kept having to match us.

I think NE has talent, but they are not a great team.  I think their TEs are better, but our top 4 maybe 5 WRs start for them and they really do not have good WRs or depth and if they get rid of Harry it is even worse. I also think there OLine is not any better than the Bills - they have some good run blockers, but pass blocking is not a strength and the last time they lost their OLine coach - the line fell apart and they had to bring him back after a year - so I expect their line to be a liability this year.

Their defense has loads of potential whether Gilmore plays or not, but they will need to be a top scoring defense because that offense is going to be in the bottom of the league scoring.  

I expect at least 1 tight game and one comfortable win against them, but I just do not seem them hanging around at the end of the season.  Looking realistically at their schedule I see them looking good early, but starting with LAC at the end of Oct. going 3-7 down the stretch for a 7-10 or 8-9 record.  

I like your confidence, maybe I still have the 20 year hangover.  As far as O lines go, here's an example of what the world outside B'lo is thinking: https://www.pff.com/news/nfl-ranking-all-32-nfl-offensive-line-units-entering-2021-season

As far as NE's O-line coach is concerned, he left in 2019, not 2020.  They're over that hump.  I can't see them going 3-7 down the stretch, especially starting with a LAC that they crushed last year 45-0 with a bad team.  

Just checked the replay of the Newton fumble, if he had it tucked it would have been either 3rd and 1 or 1st and goal.  It was slapped out of his hand and no one was within 2-3 yards in front of him.  So, the strip saved the game.... Awesome play.  

7 minutes ago, P Riv said:

I like your confidence, maybe I still have the 20 year hangover.  As far as O lines go, here's an example of what the world outside B'lo is thinking: https://www.pff.com/news/nfl-ranking-all-32-nfl-offensive-line-units-entering-2021-season

As far as NE's O-line coach is concerned, he left in 2019, not 2020.  They're over that hump.  I can't see them going 3-7 down the stretch, especially starting with a LAC that they crushed last year 45-0 with a bad team.  

Just checked the replay of the Newton fumble, if he had it tucked it would have been either 3rd and 1 or 1st and goal.  It was slapped out of his hand and no one was within 2-3 yards in front of him.  So, the strip saved the game.... Awesome play.  

The strip occurred at the 15 and was recovered on the 13.  Newton’s knee hits the ground right where the ball was recovered.  

The strip saved the game, but it would have still been 3rd and 4 or so.  There is no way he gets a first as just after the hit by Zimmer - Newton goes down and his knee hits.  

I understand there was a definite chance we could have lost, but I still think they would of had a 3rd and mid range and would of needed a timeout. 

Either way - it was a great ending for us.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1