DeSantis For President in 2024?

https://dangoodspeed.com/covid/total-cases-since-june-2021

In the 18-65 age group, Florida is one of the worst states as far as vaccinations. High percentage for seniors.

If anyone cares, since the vaccine came out, urbanization and density really tell the story. NJ has high urbanization so they could spread it more easily, but as the state vaccinated, it won’t be nearly as disastrous as Florida, who has a lower urbanization rate but higher density. Florida was less likely to spread the virus, but since no one got vaccinated, that advantage was squandered and will end up with more deaths by a large margin.

When you compare other states, it starts to paint a pretty clear picture.

Edited by Governor

Gov. DeSantis on Florida’s tourism boom: ‘When you reject lockdowns and unnecessary mandates, your economy will thrive’

Florida may be considered one of the hotspots in the current COVID-19 surge, but the state nevertheless is reporting strong tourism numbers — at least during this year’s second quarter. And Florida Gov. Ron DeSantis, a Republican, is crediting the state’s lack of pandemic restrictions for the success.

The Sunshine State welcomed 30.6 million domestic visitors during the months of April, May and June,  up 216% on the year, according to preliminary estimates from Visit Florida, the state’s official tourism organization. Perhaps more significantly, it marked a 6% increase over the same quarter in the pre-pandemic period of 2019.

Local officials, including some Republicans, have criticized DeSantis as well for his pandemic-related decisions.

“He’s a dictator,” Carlos Hernandez, the Republican mayor of Hialeah, told the Washington Post. “It’s a shame because we’re paying the price.”

In many respects, Florida is bucking a national trend when it comes to tourism. The daily number of those traveling by plane, based on Transportation Security Administration (TSA) checkpoint tallies, is still far below 2019 levels.

For example, on Wednesday, the TSA recorded 1,678,231 travelers, which represented a 27% decline over the figure for that same day two years ago.

Still, vacationers are seeking out certain destinations beyond Florida. Some national parks have seen a record number of travelers in recent months. In July, Yellowstone National Park crossed the monthly mark of one-million visitors for the first time in its storied history.

https://on.mktw.net/3z58gnH

What awful selfish people.  Vacationing and trying to live their lives during a pandemic in the free state of Florida.  Horrendous.  

We're all in this together!

Edited by Big Blitz

8 hours ago, Chef Jim said:

Florida, where the freedom of choice still reigns supreme!  

Wouldnt freedom of choice means schools are allowed to choose whether it wants to have masks or not without fear of losing pay or their job? 

Wouldnt freedom of choice mean local areas could determine mask and vaccine requirements without someone being able to invalidate their choices?

It seems to me DeSantis is being more a dictator than anything. It’s fitting because it does fit that Trump mold.

52 minutes ago, Backintheday544 said:

Wouldnt freedom of choice means schools are allowed to choose whether it wants to have masks or not without fear of losing pay or their job? 

Wouldnt freedom of choice mean local areas could determine mask and vaccine requirements without someone being able to invalidate their choices?

It seems to me DeSantis is being more a dictator than anything. It’s fitting because it does fit that Trump mold.

I don't think you understand what a dictatorial is.   A dictatorial will dictate that no one wears masks.  Is the school and local governments just institutions?  Wouldn't putting that decision in the hands of the people who send their kids to school be less dictatorial then making it governments call?

11 minutes ago, Tenhigh said:

I don't think you understand what a dictatorial is.   A dictatorial will dictate that no one wears masks.  Is the school and local governments just institutions?  Wouldn't putting that decision in the hands of the people who send their kids to school be less dictatorial then making it governments call?

DeSantis claims parents are the best people to make the call about masks and such.  They’re not.  Because it is clear that some parents are willfully disregarding scientific facts and putting their kids at greater risk of infection.  And the governor is egging them in.  Why?  Because the governor, and some parents, are more interested in making a political statement that the actual welfare of the kids.  

• Eyeroll 1
  • Agree 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Backintheday544 said:

No. Freedom of choice allows the citizens to make their OWN choices not the government (aka schools).   I’m sorry you don’t understand the meaning of the term Liberty.  And that’s a terrible, and embarrassing (for you) shame. 

18 minutes ago, oldmanfan said:

DeSantis claims parents are the best people to make the call about masks and such.  They’re not.  Because it is clear that some parents are willfully disregarding scientific facts and putting their kids at greater risk of infection.  And the governor is egging them in.  Why?  Because the governor, and some parents, are more interested in making a political statement that the actual welfare of the kids.  

Which slippery slope would you prefer?  Governments forcing behaviors (mask) or parents making decisions for their children.  You all cry “follow the science!!”   Parents that are allowing their children to go massless ARE following the science. 

• Like (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, Chef Jim said:

No. Freedom of choice allows the citizens to make their OWN choices not the government (aka schools).   I’m sorry you don’t understand the meaning of the term Liberty.  And that’s a terrible, and embarrassing (for you) shame. 

Which slippery slope would you prefer?  Governments forcing behaviors (mask) or parents making decisions for their children.  You all cry “follow the science!!”   Parents that are allowing their children to go massless ARE following the science. 

No they are not.  I did a literature search on Medline yesterday.  I put in Covid and masks as search indicators and got over 900 articles in the medical literature.  I am still going through them but out of the first 100 there are 12 articles all demonstrating that masks can help limit spread.

So you are wrong.  Accept it for once.  Or let your kids die.

• Vomit 1
  • Eyeroll 1

30 minutes ago, oldmanfan said:

No they are not.  I did a literature search on Medline yesterday.  I put in Covid and masks as search indicators and got over 900 articles in the medical literature.  I am still going through them but out of the first 100 there are 12 articles all demonstrating that masks can help limit spread.

So you are wrong.  Accept it for once.  Or let your kids die.

You have no idea what I meant by parents ”following the science.”  So good job assuming what I meant by my comment.  See, this is why I ask so many questions. To clarify someone’s point. This way I don’t look like a fool responding with some diatribe that has nothing to do with the other persons point. So let’s take this how this conversation should have gone shall we.

Oldman:  how are the parents following the science?

Chef: by knowing the survival rate is almost 100% with children.  
Oldman: oh……

Edited by Chef Jim

1 minute ago, Chef Jim said:

You have no idea what I meant by parents l

”following the science.”  So good job assuming what I meant by my comment.  See, this is why I ask so many questions. To clarify someone’s point. This way I don’t look like a fool responding with some diatribe that has nothing to do with the other persons point. So let’s take this how this conversation should have gone shall we.

Oldman:  how are the parents following the science?

Chef: by knowing the survival rate is almost 100% with children.  
Oldman: oh……

The science says masks help mitigate spread.  The science says the delta variant is more infectious.  Check out Florida’s data on hospitalizations on school aged kids, how many are in ICUs.  And I’m sorry but are you now claiming that the only concern parents should have is death?  Should parents not care if their kids get sick and perhaps get long term complications?

Do me a favor and quit trying to talk about science.  You’re clueless.  Do this instead:  go to your school aged kids or grandkids if you have them, and tell them you’re OK with putting them in harm’s way because of some warped sense of politics.  Tell them if they get sick and have to go in the hospital it’s worth it.  Go to a funeral of a kid that dies, because some do, and tell the parents it was worth it.

People like you that could give a damn about kids make me ill.

Hey Biden’s basement, I know you’re on here because you reacted to my comment. So my question for you.  When reference after reference indicates masks have a mitigating effect, when that is what the science says, when every major medical group backs that, who the hell are you to say they’re all wrong?  Do you not understand things like science, which is quite possible since this pandemic has shown the shocking level of ignorance in our society?  Or are you making the more sickening choice to understand it, but simply to ignore the science?

Why do you want people to die?  Why do you want kids to be put in harm’s way?  What jollies did you get out of this?  I can picture you going to funerals of those that have died from Covid and laughing.

2 minutes ago, oldmanfan said:

The science says masks help mitigate spread.  The science says the delta variant is more infectious.  Check out Florida’s data on hospitalizations on school aged kids, how many are in ICUs.  And I’m sorry but are you now claiming that the only concern parents should have is death?  Should parents not care if their kids get sick and perhaps get long term complications?

Do me a favor and quit trying to talk about science.  You’re clueless.  Do this instead:  go to your school aged kids or grandkids if you have them, and tell them you’re OK with putting them in harm’s way because of some warped sense of politics.  Tell them if they get sick and have to go in the hospital it’s worth it.  Go to a funeral of a kid that dies, because some do, and tell the parents it was worth it.

People like you that could give a damn about kids make me ill.

Some sense of politics?  No freedom of choice.  Tell ya what. Read up on states rights and get back to me mmkay. You don’t like how Florida runs things a) move to a state that mandates things you believe in or b) stay away from there. 

Sorry I make you I’ll. 🙄

• Like (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, Chef Jim said:

Some sense of politics?  No freedom of choice.  Tell ya what. Read up on states rights and get back to me mmkay. You don’t like how Florida runs things a) move to a state that mandates things you believe in or b) stay away from there. 

Sorry I make you I’ll. 🙄

States rights should not trample human rights.  You want people, even kids, to get sick and maybe die.  That’s what you want. 

• Eyeroll 1