WFT having difficulties trade marking the name

3 minutes ago, Victory Formation said:

Thank you for the correction. I’m just not sure what in the world he’s doing. WFT is the most bland, generic name of all teams in every possible pro sport imaginable. I just don’t understand what he’s doing. Terrible name. Snyder is a terrible owner and he should sell the team.

?  You just gave me a thumbs up for explaining the reason why he did this.

15 minutes ago, Victory Formation said:

I’m sorry. What are you saying?

You gave me a thumbs up for my post where I said that it's a dumb name but Snyder won't be forced to change it in the future.  That's why he did it.

Edited by Doc

7 minutes ago, Doc said:

You gave me a thumbs up for my post where I said that it's a dumb name but Snyder won't be forced to change WFT in the future.  That's why he did it.

There's a (nearly) infinite list of names that Snyder or any pro sports team owner can settle on that would not ultimately lead them to being forced to change it.  He didn't have to pick the m most generic.  He was too stupid to plan for this inevitability (name change)....because he was convinced not would never happen (as he so famously  said...over and over).

34 minutes ago, cba fan said:

Snyder caved to financial pressure his sponsors put on him. And pressure from DC city or they would not support a new stadium in DC proper.

The name change wasn't/isn't going to get him a new stadium in DC.

• Thank you (+1) 1

28 minutes ago, Mr. WEO said:

There's a (nearly) infinite list of names that Snyder or any pro sports team owner can settle on that would not ultimately lead them to being forced to change it.  He didn't have to pick the m most generic.  He was too stupid to plan for this inevitability (name change)....because he was convinced not would never happen (as he so famously  said...over and over).

So your theory is that he didn't plan far enough in advance to pick a better name?  Because it takes a long time to pick one of the infinite names available?  And he can never change it again?  OK.

He can call it what he likes.  It's his team.  He'll still make gobs of money off of it.

50 minutes ago, Doc said:

You gave me a thumbs up for my post where I said that it's a dumb name but Snyder won't be forced to change it in the future.  That's why he did it.

Right, but he seems to be procrastinating, does he not? A reputable organization would of had the name changed the following day if not within a few weeks.

What’s wrong with the Washington natives? Or a name that honors Native Americans? They can keep the same logo as they wish. Regardless, procrastination is the enemy of time.

7 minutes ago, Doc said:

So your theory is that he didn't plan far enough in advance to pick a better name?  Because it takes a long time to pick one of the infinite names available?  And he can never change it again?  OK.

He can call it what he likes.  It's his team.  He'll still make gobs of money off of it.

Well that’s obviously false, hence this thread.  Lol.

But no, all he had to do was change it from a derogatory, racist name to anything else and no one would have bothered him.  What could be more simple?

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

4 hours ago, Victory Formation said:

Right, but he seems to be procrastinating, does he not? A reputable organization would of had the name changed the following day if not within a few weeks.

What’s wrong with the Washington natives? Or a name that honors Native Americans? They can keep the same logo as they wish. Regardless, procrastination is the enemy of time.

He is type of owner Washington fans deserve.  An owner who hired some people so they could be at his parties.

You need to roll your eyes at the jerk (and a jerk will roll his eyes at this) and the fans of that team.  Remember this was the last team to integrate.

After Bills Superbowl my car had red and yellow tempura paint dumped on it. When I reported it to guards on military installation they said that what do you expect with Bills item in your windshield.   I responded "Good sports from a winner" and they rolled their eyes at me.   True children.

• Like (+1) 1

On 6/29/2021 at 7:50 PM, Victory Formation said:

Thank you for the correction. I’m just not sure what in the world he’s doing. WFT is the most bland, generic name of all teams in every possible pro sport imaginable. I just don’t understand what he’s doing. Terrible name. Snyder is a terrible owner and he should sell the team.

it is bland like all those non-names the pro soccor "fuuutball" clubs use. Technically none have a nickname. Just the city name and an explanation in two letters it is a football club. Just like Washington FT does. It does not get any more generic or lame as that.

like EX:

Angel City FC

Austin FC

Charlotte FC

Chattanooga FC

Cincinnati FC

FC Dallas

Fort Lauderdale CF

Fort Wayne FC

Los Angeles FC

Miami FC

Monterey Bay FC

CF Montréal

New Amsterdam FC

New York City FC

North Carolina FC

Northern Colorado FC

North Texas SC

Orange County SC

Queensboro FC

Toronto FC

FC Tucson

FC Tulsa

Edited by cba fan

On 6/29/2021 at 10:08 PM, Mr. WEO said:

But no, all he had to do was change it from a derogatory, racist name to anything else and no one would have bothered him.  What could be more simple?

I heard one of their execs talk about it for about 15 mins last year, and it's quite complicated on a lot of different fronts.

Much more involved than I thought.

2 hours ago, JoPoy88 said:

Based on the news that has come out in the last couple days, danny’s had more to worry about than just the new name. Of course the league covered his backside though. Big surprise 🙄 

I wonder if any squatters have registered Washington Creepy Pervs?

• Haha (+1) 2

3 hours ago, sherpa said:

I heard one of their execs talk about it for about 15 mins last year, and it's quite complicated on a lot of different fronts.

Much more involved than I thought.

It's complicated because, when the pressure was again mounting--8 years ago!---to change the name, instead of then considering new names,  the owner doubled down and said:

"We'll never change the name,"  "It's that simple. NEVER — you can use caps".

When Fedex and others started squeezing Snyder last year, he succumbed to the inevitable.  He could have done it years before,   He could have unilaterally announced; "I am changing the name of the team to......".  He had many years to consider a new name. He didn't want to.  He created the situation he finds himself in.

Edited by Mr. WEO
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

18 hours ago, cba fan said:

it is bland like all those non-names the pro soccor "fuuutball" clubs use. Technically none have a nickname. Just the city name and an explanation in two letters it is a football club. Just like Washington FT does. It does not get any more generic or lame as that.

like EX:

Angel City FC

Austin FC

Charlotte FC

Chattanooga FC

Cincinnati FC

FC Dallas

Fort Lauderdale CF

Fort Wayne FC

Los Angeles FC

Miami FC

Monterey Bay FC

CF Montréal

New Amsterdam FC

New York City FC

North Carolina FC

Northern Colorado FC

North Texas SC

Orange County SC

Queensboro FC

Toronto FC

FC Tucson

FC Tulsa

Yup.  Again no one can/will demand he change the name from "Football Team."  Sure it's generic and lame, but that's what he wants, and it's not from a lack of preparation as he never wanted any of the squatter's trademarked names and had thousands of others from which to choose.

6 hours ago, Doc said:

Yup.  Again no one can/will demand he change the name from "Football Team."  Sure it's generic and lame, but that's what he wants, and it's not from a lack of preparation as he never wanted any of the squatter's trademarked names and had thousands of others from which to choose.

you really think he wants WFT permanent? I have not heard any utterance from Synder to that fact. Interesting.

PS: if he so chooses to stay with WFT many in Cleveland can breath a sigh of relief as they will be off the hook after decades of the lamest name/logo/colors. Browns: named after a white guy who high-tailed it out of town to start the Bengals, in AFL no less...lol....leaving "Browns" with "orange" helmets and no logo in the dust. 🤣🤣

Edited by cba fan

1 hour ago, cba fan said:

you really think he wants WFT permanent? I have not heard any utterance from Synder to that fact. Interesting.

PS: if he so chooses to stay with WFT many in Cleveland can breath a sigh of relief as they will be off the hook after decades of the lamest name/logo/colors. Browns: named after a white guy who high-tailed it out of town to start the Bengals, in AFL no less...lol....leaving "Browns" with "orange" helmets and no logo in the dust. 🤣🤣

knowing snyder’s track record, he may be keeping the placeholder name for a few thinking that “this will all blow over” in a couple years and can just revert them back to the redskins. Sounds crazy, but nothing would surprise me from that scumbag. He shoulda been don sterling’ed out of the league for the BS they “investigated” instead he gets a timeout and a nominal fine. Pathetic work by the league.

Of all of Goodell’s failures as a commissioner (and there are many), the report this week on everything that went on at that team over Snyder’s reign is the most disgusting to me. 

go bills i guess

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 2

8 hours ago, cba fan said:

I have no idea what he plans to do long-term.  If he’s selling as much merchandise with “Washington Football Team” as he did with the previous name, he’ll probably just keep it. Again he had many names from which to choose and chose that one.

• Like (+1) 1

15 hours ago, Doc said:

1 hour ago, Doc said:

I have no idea what he plans to do long-term.  If he’s selling as much merchandise with “Washington Football Team” as he did with the previous name, he’ll probably just keep it. Again he had many names from which to choose and chose that one.

Really?  Then why is the team soliciting fan names and uni designs on a dedicated website?

https://www.washingtonjourney.com/

Why would Snyder keep WFT when anyone can produce WFT merchandise and sell it, depriving him of millions of dollars?

• Like (+1) 1