Vacations/Trips For 2021

Halloween Land

22 minutes ago, Draconator said:

My wife and I actually took a 2 1/2 week vacation this past January. Flew from Buffalo to Reno. Spent time in Lake Tahoe, then down the Eastern Sierra Mountains to Lone Pine, CA. Then across Death Valley to Las Vegas for a couple of days. Then off to Sedona, Arizona for a few days. Down to Phoenix for a couple of days. Then an evening in Solvang, CA (Dutch themed town on the Southern California coast). Up to the Bay Area to see my daughter for a few days, then back to Reno to fly home. I can try to post pictures, but I don't want to bog down this thread with a picture or two per post. 

We’re going to Sedona for 5 days this friday. Flying into Phoenix, meeting up w a good friend there and he’s gonna drive us to Sedona. Never been, looking forward to it.

• Awesome! (+1) 2

19 minutes ago, billsfanmiamioh said:

Sedona is awesome. Did a few days at enchantment resort on the tail end of a west coast trip when my wife was pregnant. Scenery and night sky is unreal. Very spiritual type place (at least was for us) 

Yes, can’t wait to see the milky way spanning the desert sky!!!

2 hours ago, 4_kidd_4 said:

We’re going to Sedona for 5 days this friday. Flying into Phoenix, meeting up w a good friend there and he’s gonna drive us to Sedona. Never been, looking forward to it.

we did Sedona about two years ago right around this time It’s great. Blue skies every day. 80 degrees.

I was really into hiking at the time, and so we spent the week hiking about 7-8 different trails (total of about 50 miles). Just really beautiful and interesting hiking and scenery— some hikes are mountain hikes, some are red rocks, and some are through valleys. 

we spent 5 days there and it was a perfect amount of time. We did a day trip to Grand Canyon too through Flagstaff. If I had to do it again, I would  have spent a few days in flagstaff— super cool town and totally unexpected to see out in the dessert. forests, snow capped mountains, etc. 

Edit: my only gripe about Sedona was the food scene out there was very average to below average. A lot of tourist traps too. Wouldn’t trust Yelp reviews either since the yelpers are all tourists. 

Edited by Miyagi-Do Karate
  • Thank you (+1) 1

Going to make my way down the east coast stopping in Ocean City, Williamsburg, the Carolinas and maybe Florida if I feel like driving all the way down.

Did the same thing last summer when things were supposedly super risky and whatnot. 

I never let this BS stop me and my family from living.

Here's where we're going on Sun- next Thurs.

The cabin is near Sevierville TN., in the Great Smokey Mountains.

Our three adult kids will join us.

https://www.cabinsforyou.com/brothers-deja-view.htm

We always do a mountain cabins with the kids once per year.

I'll bring the flyrod and waders along, so we'll see how that goes, and plenty of other things to do there.

The Mrs. and I will do the annual Europe thing in late Oct, but no specific plans yet, as that situation re Covid changes weekly.

• Awesome! (+1) 1

9 hours ago, 4_kidd_4 said:

This was the view off of the deck at our AirBnB in Sedona. 

1346079294_ScreenShot2021-05-06at6_58_23AM.png.9b3dd68717f48882ba3f0784cfa9d986.png

• Like (+1) 1

7 hours ago, Miyagi-Do Karate said:

we did Sedona about two years ago right around this time It’s great. Blue skies every day. 80 degrees.

I was really into hiking at the time, and so we spent the week hiking about 7-8 different trails (total of about 50 miles). Just really beautiful and interesting hiking and scenery— some hikes are mountain hikes, some are red rocks, and some are through valleys. 

we spent 5 days there and it was a perfect amount of time. We did a day trip to Grand Canyon too through Flagstaff. If I had to do it again, I would  have spent a few days in flagstaff— super cool town and totally unexpected to see out in the dessert. forests, snow capped mountains, etc. 

Edit: my only gripe about Sedona was the food scene out there was very average to below average. A lot of tourist traps too. Wouldn’t trust Yelp reviews either since the yelpers are all tourists. 

We know someone who lives in Sedona, and he recommended some great restaurants to us. Our favorite was Mariposa. Of course it's the most expensive restaurant in Sedona, but totally worth the price.

31 minutes ago, Draconator said:

We know someone who lives in Sedona, and he recommended some great restaurants to us. Our favorite was Mariposa. Of course it's the most expensive restaurant in Sedona, but totally worth the price.

we actually ate there and it was the only good place we ate at. It was good, but a little over-priced for the quality of the food.  Every other place was super mediocre (despite mostly positive Yelp and google reviews). 

• Like (+1) 1

Just now, Miyagi-Do Karate said:

we actually ate there and it was the only good place we ate at. It was good, but a little over-priced for the quality of the food.  Every other place was super mediocre (despite mostly positive Yelp and google reviews). 

You're probably paying for the ambiance and the view, more than just the food, but I thought the food was quite good and worth the cost.

2 minutes ago, Ridgewaycynic2013 said:

That rock on the left is flipping you the bird...🤔

Can't see it in this picture or with the naked eye, but using the binoculars that were at the property, at the top of that rock is a cave, and hieroglyphics were written below the cave entrance. 

1 minute ago, Draconator said:

Can't see it in this picture or with the naked eye, but using the binoculars that were at the property, at the top of that rock is a cave, and hieroglyphics were written below the cave entrance. 

Translation: 'Tourist Go Home'.

Edited by Ridgewaycynic2013
  • Haha (+1) 1

16 minutes ago, Draconator said:

You're probably paying for the ambiance and the view, more than just the food, but I thought the food was quite good and worth the cost.

yeah, the views were great there. 

that said, the views are great everywhere! At the place we stayed at, after a long day of hiking, we soaked in the hot tub which overlooked a bunch of awesome peaks. Great way to end the day! 

• Like (+1) 1

@Draconator @Miyagi-Do Karate

Any worthwhile brewery or cocktail type places in Sedona?

Food schmood, gimme them dranks!! 😆 

I forget where we’re staying, but it’s a pretty nice joint with a great view so we’ll prob grab some stuff for a room-bar type of thing.

Was also reading Sedona gets pretty quiet relatively early, true?? I mean we’re beyond our ‘tear it up til 3am’ days, but we do get feisty like that on vaca once in a while.

5 minutes ago, 4_kidd_4 said:

@Draconator @Miyagi-Do Karate

Any worthwhile brewery or cocktail type places in Sedona?

Food schmood, gimme them dranks!! 😆 

I forget where we’re staying, but it’s a pretty nice joint with a great view so we’ll prob grab some stuff for a room-bar type of thing.

Was also reading Sedona gets pretty quiet relatively early, true?? I mean we’re beyond our ‘tear it up til 3am’ days, but we do get feisty like that on vaca once in a while.

We liked the Golden Goose. It's a restaurant but with quite the cocktail selection. Sedona has a light policy for night time. As in if you own a house, you cannot have any lights that point up towards the sky. Does add to the quiet evening hours, but fun can still be had. 

One place you have to go to is Spirits and Spice. They have a location at the Talaquepaque Shopping Area. Just simply the best gin and vodka I have ever had in my life. They also have tequila, bourbon, whisky, etc. For the cook in you, they have different spices and cooking oils that I imagine are just as good as the alcohol they sell. They only have 3 locations. Wyoming, Vegas, and Sedona. Spiritsandspice.com

• Thank you (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Draconator said:

We liked the Golden Goose. It's a restaurant but with quite the cocktail selection. Sedona has a light policy for night time. As in if you own a house, you cannot have any lights that point up towards the sky. Does add to the quiet evening hours, but fun can still be had. 

One place you have to go to is Spirits and Spice. They have a location at the Talaquepaque Shopping Area. Just simply the best gin and vodka I have ever had in my life. They also have tequila, bourbon, whisky, etc. For the cook in you, they have different spices and cooking oils that I imagine are just as good as the alcohol they sell. They only have 3 locations. Wyoming, Vegas, and Sedona. Spiritsandspice.com

Awesome thanks. We do love all kindsa gin!!

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Seasons1992 said:

Will you force the kids to be in the bunk beds?

Nah.

They'll get the kings.

Ms. and I will make do.

Living on an aircraft carrier in a junior officer's bunkroom for months on end, I get in one position and don't move much.

• Like (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.