Jump to content

Electric lawn mowers


LewPort71
 Share

Recommended Posts

I am considering replacing my 12 year old gas mower with an electric mower.

I mow approximately 0.33 acre on slightly sloped lawn (WV).  Tall fescue grass.

What , if any, experiences have any one had with an electric mower.

Thanks

Link to comment
Share on other sites

My yard is the same size as yours and I have an EGO. Zero regrets. The only differences are that it's quieter and I have to recharge the battery after I mow. 

 

Only had it for 3 summers but zero issues so far. 

  • Agree 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Link to comment
Share on other sites

my assistant's husband just got a ride on, (and i think it's a zero turn) ryobi, and apparently he loves it.  if battery life isn't an issue, people seem to love them.  i think they're very expensive to replace the batteries if need be, but i'm not use if that's dependent on brand or size.  

Link to comment
Share on other sites

26 minutes ago, davefan66 said:


My father had this back in the 80’s.  Plugged in and a pain to get the cord out of the way.  Don’t recommend!

 

Probably not the type of electric mower you speak of....

 

 

4F325C3C-8AED-42D0-A370-542C45685962.jpeg

A neighbor of mine had one of these years ago  and the cord was a pain.  Yard had to be a perfect rectangle to go back and forth and moving the cord.

 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

18 minutes ago, LewPort71 said:

A neighbor of mine had one of these years ago  and the cord was a pain.  Yard had to be a perfect rectangle to go back and forth and moving the cord.

 

 

I used to do this for my grandfather's lawn in the 90s, no fun at all. I always had to drape the cord around my back to avoid cutting the cord etc. Yet the EGO is so much easier. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, LewPort71 said:

A neighbor of mine had one of these years ago  and the cord was a pain.  Yard had to be a perfect rectangle to go back and forth and moving the cord.

 

 


Fathers house was a cookie cutter in Tonawanda.  Small yard.  Only type you could possibly use this mower on.  

 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

17 minutes ago, davefan66 said:


Fathers house was a cookie cutter in Tonawanda.  Small yard.  Only type you could possibly use this mower on.  

 

 

 

Tell that to my Dad. 

 

Our extension cord looked like a snake that ate 35 rats. I could repair that thing in about 3 minutes. 

Edited by Sundancer
  • Haha (+1) 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

28 minutes ago, IgotBILLStopay said:

Unless you need the exercise, go for a robotic lawn mower! Put your hat on, pull up a chair, beer in hand and watch Bills vs. Oilers while the robot does the work for ya! Just saying.


Or pay someone to do it. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 2 weeks later...

Update.. I pulled the plug and bought   the Ego mower that is last years model.  It is self propelled and has a bagger, mulcher or side discharge system.

The battery took an hour to fully charge out of the box.   The mower itself is light.  I mean really light.

The height of the mower deck is easy to adjust with one controller.  I had it set one setting higher than my old mower, so the grass is higher

than previous mowing.  I have set it down one  setting for the next mowing.  It took 45 minutes to mow and that is normal.

And the mower is very quiet.  I gave my gas mower to SIL who is moving into the neighborhood.

As far as the illegal aliens , there are not that many here in SWV other than those folks from KY  who head to WV  for work. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 minutes ago, LewPort71 said:

Update.. I pulled the plug and bought   the Ego mower that is last years model.  It is self propelled and has a bagger, mulcher or side discharge system.

The battery took an hour to fully charge out of the box.   The mower itself is light.  I mean really light.

The height of the mower deck is easy to adjust with one controller.  I had it set one setting higher than my old mower, so the grass is higher

than previous mowing.  I have set it down one  setting for the next mowing.  It took 45 minutes to mow and that is normal.

And the mower is very quiet.  I gave my gas mower to SIL who is moving into the neighborhood.

As far as the illegal aliens , there are not that many here in SWV other than those folks from KY  who head to WV  for work. 

Just be sure to charge your battery when your not mowing. That way it's fully charged when ready to mow next week. 

  • Thank you (+1) 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 minutes ago, LewPort71 said:

Update.. I pulled the plug and bought   the Ego mower that is last years model. 

I had a battery operated mower for Bride the Second's house in Crystal Beach.  A 'postage stamp' of a yard.  What made it bearable was the second battery that came with it.  I was able to tackle a larger lot when the neighbour's mower gave out.  I imagine in the seven or eight years that capabilities have improved.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I've had hit and miss with battery operated lawn and garden.  I've purchased the trimmers and blowers.  Blowers were always better than the trimmers.  

 

When it comes to battery operated drills, saws, lawn and garden, I'm always concerned about finding replacement batteries in the future where the tool or machine is working great, just needs a new pack.  The manufacturers love that planned obsolescence.  "Oh yeah, you're looking for a battery for one of our "discontinued" sets."

  • Agree 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, dpberr said:

I've had hit and miss with battery operated lawn and garden.  I've purchased the trimmers and blowers.  Blowers were always better than the trimmers.  

 

When it comes to battery operated drills, saws, lawn and garden, I'm always concerned about finding replacement batteries in the future where the tool or machine is working great, just needs a new pack.  The manufacturers love that planned obsolescence.  "Oh yeah, you're looking for a battery for one of our "discontinued" sets."

I haven't had that issue with EGO as bought their lawn mower when first moved in my new house about 4 years ago, later that winter I got their snowblower and about 2 years ago I got their weed wacker and all their equipment takes the same batteries, the only thing is you want a better battery for the mower/snow blower (which takes 2 vs 1) obviously. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I don’t know if I could give up my gas mower. There’s nothing like the uncertainty I face every spring as to whether or not it will start, pulling on the cord about 20 times, fiddling around with the oil and gas, pretending I know how to replace a spark plug, and then eventually taking it to the repair shop. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
 Share

×
×
  • Create New...