TSW Mock Draft 1.0 - Complete

Virgil

2 hours ago, Draconator said:

My thinking is Barkley will not see a 16 game season if he is the 100% featured back. Taking Etienne here takes some of the workload off of Barkley. I'm thinking a 50/50 split if Barkley is healthy, and if Barkley goes down, there isn't much of a drop off.

Not to mention, having either Barkley or Etienne in your backfield, that allows Jones to play action,he has Golladay and Waddle to throw to, not to mention Rudolph as another option. Etienne out of the backfield is even another option. 

This just doesn’t seem like wise asset allocation. Barkley was drafted 2nd overall in ‘18.

Are there lingering long term issues with SB? If not, I can’t see this (RB) as an option. 

4 minutes ago, inaugural balls said:

This just doesn’t seem like wise asset allocation. Barkley was drafted 2nd overall in ‘18.

Are there lingering long term issues with SB? If not, I can’t see this (RB) as an option. 

There are lingering issues.  First he is coming back from a major injury.  Secondly he is staring at a large contract that he may or may not be worth.

This is another it isn't what I would do but I certainly see the logic in it.  They are a thunder and lightning combo both with the ability to be the feature back if the other one needs to be spelled.  With the questions remaining around Jones this is the time to see if he is your guy or they need to restart with another qb.  

• Like (+1) 2

1 minute ago, section122 said:

There are lingering issues.  First he is coming back from a major injury.  Secondly he is staring at a large contract that he may or may not be worth.

This is another it isn't what I would do but I certainly see the logic in it.  They are a thunder and lightning combo both with the ability to be the feature back if the other one needs to be spelled.  With the questions remaining around Jones this is the time to see if he is your guy or they need to restart with another qb.  

And the Giants need more explosive playmakers. I get the logic totally. I don't see Etienne as a feature back who is gonna line up on the dot and run into the line 15-20 times a game. He is a guy who you give lower volume but find ways to get the ball in space. 

• Agree 1

2 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

And the Giants need more explosive playmakers. I get the logic totally. I don't see Etienne as a feature back who is gonna line up on the dot and run into the line 15-20 times a game. He is a guy who you give lower volume but find ways to get the ball in space. 

Yeah when I saw the pick I envisioned the Ingram/Kamara backfield from the Saints a couple of years ago that was incredibly effective.

waiting on my pick and I have settled on my guy.  Which means I can probably make the pick for @Buffalo716 who is guaranteed to grab my guy lol.

34 minutes ago, section122 said:

I agree with your premise - but not the selection. You want to find if Jones is the guy with a another RB? Personally, I think that’s flawed. 

Jones is going to sink or swim on his own. And as a GM who very existence lies with how my questionable QB pick performs, I’m not pushing all the chips to center with another RB. 

7 minutes ago, inaugural balls said:

I agree with your premise - but not the selection. You want to find if Jones is the guy with a another RB? Personally, I think that’s flawed. 

Jones is going to sink or swim on his own. And as a GM who very existence lies with how my questionable QB pick performs, I’m not pushing all the chips to center with another RB. 

As @GunnerBill stated Etienne is much more than a RB.  He is more offensive weapon.  Screens, dump offs, etc.  I think Jones needs as many weapons as possible.  They added Golladay already as a FA (another move I wasn't a huge fan of as I think he is overpaid at $18 per).  Again I don't think I would have picked Etienne but I see the logic behind the decision.

• Agree 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

14 minutes ago, section122 said:

As @GunnerBill stated Etienne is much more than a RB.  He is more offensive weapon.  Screens, dump offs, etc.  I think Jones needs as many weapons as possible.  They added Golladay already as a FA (another move I wasn't a huge fan of as I think he is overpaid at $18 per).  Again I don't think I would have picked Etienne but I see the logic behind the decision.

Yeah - I just have a problem going to the RB well again that high. We’d all scream if Beane did this. Get Carter or others available in subsequent rounds. 

Gettleman’s leash can’t be that long. 

1 hour ago, GunnerBill said:

You think this RB who could go anywhere between 25-35 range will get that few touches? I can’t see that. 

2 minutes ago, inaugural balls said:

You think this RB who could go anywhere between 25-35 range will get that few touches? I can’t see that. 

Alvin Kamara as a rookie averaged 12.5 touches per game. 7.5 in the run game another 5 out of the backfield. That is how a team should use Etienne. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

• Virgil changed the title to TSW Mock Draft 1.0 - The Patriots (section122) are on the clock

With the 46th pick the New England Patriots select OG Wyatt Davis.

The Chargers and @TPS are on the clock.

2 time All-American and unanimous selection last year.  I was really hoping for Bateman or Marshall to fall here but it was not meant to be.  Davis immediately helps bolster the line.  This is a BPA pick as he and Shaq Mason are both RGs but one will have to flip.  Onwenu can shift out to RT and Trent Brown to LT when Isaiah Wynn inevitably gets hurt (again).

I think the Pats need a WR and DB (both S and CB - and BB LOVES 2nd round DBs) more but I just don't really see the value.  Davis allows some flexibility next year with both OTs being Free Agents.  Onwenu can cover RT and one can be brought back for LT while the other garners a comp pick (as is tradition).

• Like (+1) 2

9 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

Alvin Kamara as a rookie averaged 12.5 touches per game. 7.5 in the run game another 5 out of the backfield. That is how a team should use Etienne. 

Where do you have ENT slotted?

Kamara went in the 3rd. Do you put them in the same class? 

• Virgil changed the title to TSW Mock Draft 1.0 - The Chargers (TPS) are on the clock
3 minutes ago, inaugural balls said:

Where do you have ENT slotted?

Kamara went in the 3rd. Do you put them in the same class? 

Mid to early 2nd. I had a 2nd on Kamara too (although more a late 2nd). I think Etienne's potential value is as a home run hitter. He isn't, and I don't think ever will be, a bell cow 20 carries per game NFL running back. Brandon Beane calls them "touchdown makers" that is what I see in Etienne. A guy who any time he touches the ball is a threat to go to the house. 

35 minutes ago, inaugural balls said:

Yeah - I just have a problem going to the RB well again that high. We’d all scream if Beane did this. Get Carter or others available in subsequent rounds. 

Gettleman’s leash can’t be that long. 

If the Giants were close to being competitive, that RB pick makes sense.  They have talent gaps in so many areas it is GM malpractice.

Now if they want to send a  4th to the Bills for Singletary and the Bills draft him, makes more sense as the Bills are close.  

• Agree 1

1 minute ago, Just Joshin' said:

If the Giants were close to being competitive, that RB pick makes sense.  They have talent gaps in so many areas it is GM malpractice.

Now if they want to send a  4th to the Bills for Singletary and the Bills draft him, makes more sense as the Bills are close.  

This.

The GM is in survival mode. Another back - this high- is career suicide.