NFL.com Power Rankings: Post-Free Agency (Bills stay at #4)

MJS

NFL Power Rankings: Browns, Patriots up in free agency; Bears slip

Dan Hanzus - Around the NFL Writer

https://www.nfl.com/news/nfl-power-rankings-browns-patriots-up-in-free-agency-bears-slip

Buffalo Bills

Rank - 4 (Previous rank: No. 4)

"The Bills have established themselves as a legitimate championship contender, so we liked the move to keep Matt Milano -- a member of the team's defensive core -- on a long-term deal. On offense, Buffalo opted to let John Brown head to Vegas in favor of Emmanuel Sanders, an underrated talent who slots in nicely with Stefon Diggs and Cole Beasley to form a rock-solid wide receivers room. The signing of former No. 2 overall pick Mitch Trubisky represents an upgrade over Matt Barkleyat backup QB. Of course, if Trubisky plays meaningful snaps in 2021, you'll know something went terribly wrong."

Other AFC East rankings:

Miami Dolphins

Rank - 15 (Previous rank: No. 12)

"On the surface, replacing Ryan Fitzpatrick with Jacoby Brissett feels like a downgrade at backup QB, but it might help the Dolphins in the long run. Fitzmagic played well for Miami, but his far-reaching popularity was also a tricky fit for an organization trying to establish Tua Tagovailoa as a long-term answer under center. Brissett doesn't bring the, well, magic of his predecessor, and that should help Brian Flores refrain from the quick-trigger benchings that came to define Tua's first season."

New England Patriots

Rank - 20 (Previous rank: No. 23)

"The Patriots "won" free agency, if you determine that victory is accomplished simply by cutting the biggest checks. In truth, the expensive deals handed toMatthew Judon, Hunter Henry, Jonnu Smith, Kendrick Bourne and Nelson Agholortell the story of a team paying a premium to cover for its past draft sins. This is typically how bad teams operate, and it's strange to see New England roll the dice in a way that would have been inconceivable during the glory years. The larger context matters, too: The Patriots went 7-9 last year while Tom Brady hoisted a Lombardi Trophy in a different uniform. If you were Bill Belichick, maybe you'd be antsy, too."

New York Jets

Rank - 29 (Previous rank: No. 31)

"The Jets have been active in the free-agent market without spinning into the reckless spending habits that have backfired -- sometimes spectacularly -- in recent years. Carl Lawson could be a huge addition to Robert Saleh's defense, while Corey Davis strengthens an increasingly frisky wide receiver room. The team still needs to address an offensive line that was one of the league's worst in 2020, but the biggest question mark centers on quarterback: Will it be Sam Darnold or a hotshot draft pick under center come September?"

---

I think these rankings are spot on (at least in the AFC East). I love the comment about how New England's approach to free agency is typical of how "bad teams operate". I think that is true. You don't generally build a consistent winner by outspending everyone in free agency, and nobody should expect New England to do that either. Losing Fitzpatrick is going to really hurt the Dolphins. We saw what happened in week 17 when they weren't able to bench Tua for Fitzpatrick. Tua will need to majorly step up and show why he was drafted so high if the Dolphins want to go anywhere this season. And ... the Jets are the Jets. As it stands, they are a bottom feeder organization and will need to prove otherwise before anyone ranks them higher.

Obviously, power rankings are a bit meaningless, but they are fun to look at and gauge the level of national respect that certain organizations garner. Apparently, largely sticking with last year's team and not bringing in a big free agent is not the disaster that many fans are making it out to be, at least in the eyes of at least one national sports journalist.

Edited by MJS
  • Awesome! (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 2

I like Cleveland in the North this season.   

Baltimore is worse.  

Pittsburgh is not any better.  

I think the Chargers will push KC for the West.  

And the NFC Champion is going to be Washington 

Fitz vs the Bills in the Super Bowl.

The game America needs.  

10 minutes ago, MJS said:

NFL Power Rankings: Browns, Patriots up in free agency; Bears slip

Dan Hanzus - Around the NFL Writer

https://www.nfl.com/news/nfl-power-rankings-browns-patriots-up-in-free-agency-bears-slip

Buffalo Bills

Rank - 4 (Previous rank: No. 4)

"The Bills have established themselves as a legitimate championship contender, so we liked the move to keep Matt Milano -- a member of the team's defensive core -- on a long-term deal. On offense, Buffalo opted to let John Brown head to Vegas in favor of Emmanuel Sanders, an underrated talent who slots in nicely with Stefon Diggs and Cole Beasley to form a rock-solid wide receivers room. The signing of former No. 2 overall pick Mitch Trubisky represents an upgrade over Matt Barkleyat backup QB. Of course, if Trubisky plays meaningful snaps in 2021, you'll know something went terribly wrong."

Other AFC East rankings:

Miami Dolphins

"On the surface, replacing Ryan Fitzpatrick with Jacoby Brissett feels like a downgrade at backup QB, but it might help the Dolphins in the long run. Fitzmagic played well for Miami, but his far-reaching popularity was also a tricky fit for an organization trying to establish Tua Tagovailoa as a long-term answer under center. Brissett doesn't bring the, well, magic of his predecessor, and that should help Brian Flores refrain from the quick-trigger benchings that came to define Tua's first season."

New England Patriots

Rank - 20 (Previous rank: No. 23)

"The Patriots "won" free agency, if you determine that victory is accomplished simply by cutting the biggest checks. In truth, the expensive deals handed toMatthew Judon, Hunter Henry, Jonnu Smith, Kendrick Bourne and Nelson Agholortell the story of a team paying a premium to cover for its past draft sins. This is typically how bad teams operate, and it's strange to see New England roll the dice in a way that would have been inconceivable during the glory years. The larger context matters, too: The Patriots went 7-9 last year while Tom Brady hoisted a Lombardi Trophy in a different uniform. If you were Bill Belichick, maybe you'd be antsy, too."

New York Jets

Rank - 29 (Previous rank: No. 31)

"The Jets have been active in the free-agent market without spinning into the reckless spending habits that have backfired -- sometimes spectacularly -- in recent years. Carl Lawson could be a huge addition to Robert Saleh's defense, while Corey Davis strengthens an increasingly frisky wide receiver room. The team still needs to address an offensive line that was one of the league's worst in 2020, but the biggest question mark centers on quarterback: Will it be Sam Darnold or a hotshot draft pick under center come September?"

---

I think these rankings are spot on (at least in the AFC East). I love the comment about how New England's approach to free agency is typical of how "bad teams operate". I think that is true. You don't generally build a consistent winner by outspending everyone in free agency, and nobody should expect New England to do that either. Losing Fitzpatrick is going to really hurt the Dolphins. We saw what happened in week 17 when they weren't able to bench Tua for Fitzpatrick. Tua will need to majorly step up and show why he was drafted so high if the Dolphins want to go anywhere this season. And ... the Jets are the Jets. As it stands, they are a bottom feeder organization and will need to prove otherwise before anyone ranks them higher.

Obviously, power rankings are a bit meaningless, but they are fun to look at and gauge the level of national respect that certain organizations garner. Apparently, largely sticking with last year's team and not bringing in a big free agent is not the disaster that many fans are making it out to be, at least in the eyes of at least one national sports journalist.

It feels great to know (at this time of year) that we have an awesome, competitive and contending team.

While all of us want to improve so that we can win a Super Bowl, we’re not desperate wondering what our front office needs to do for us to be good.

We know we are good. GO BILLS!!!

• Like (+1) 1

8 minutes ago, Big Blitz said:

Baltimore is worse.  

The game America needs.  

Interesting. Chargers push for the AFC West? I still think they are a year away from that, at least. I think the Chiefs will still be a juggernaut this year.

I thought Baltimore and Pittsburgh were ranked too high as well. Baltimore lost a lot of good players. Big Ben is practically a mummy.

14 minutes ago, MJS said:

Miami Dolphins

So signing Brissett over Fitzmagic is a good move because he's so much worse than him he won't challenge Tua for the job....really?

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 2

Just now, Warcodered said:

So signing Brissett over Fitzmagic is a good move because he's so much worse than him he won't challenge Tua for the job....really?

Haha, I don't think it will translate that way in the win/loss column. But if they are forced to stick with Tua, that will get him more experience and decrease the time it takes for him to become an effective QB (if he ever does). Benching him all the time for Fitzpatrick didn't do him any favors. They should have just sat him for the year to learn behind Fitzpatrick.

I can't for the life of me figure out how the ravens have better betting odds than the Bills to win the SB, as of right now. They are #4. 

I would put cleveland, buffalo, la rams, and maybe seattle, Indy and san fran all ahead of them. 

Don't get the constant fascination with the Ravens.

Edited by Process

41 minutes ago, Big Blitz said:

Baltimore is worse.  

The game America needs.  

Now I know to put all my money on Baltimore, KC, and the Cowboys.

• Haha (+1) 1

15 minutes ago, whatdrought said:

Bills > Packers, but once you get in the top 5 or so it’s mostly splitting hairs.

I'd bet Packers fans would say the opposite. I'm not sure there is a way to differentiate the two besides just personal bias.

• Like (+1) 1

38 minutes ago, Process said:

I can't for the life of me figure out how the ravens have better betting odds than the Bills to win the SB, as of right now. They are #4. 

I would put cleveland, buffalo, la rams, and maybe seattle, Indy and san fran all ahead of them. 

Don't get the constant fascination with the Ravens.

People still want to hold up Lamar. And if you are Vegas, people want to bet on Baltimore.

1 hour ago, atlbillsfan1975 said:

People still want to hold up Lamar. And if you are Vegas, people want to bet on Baltimore.

Baltimore has been pretty competitive for a long time. I guess it makes sense. Same with Pittsburgh. I suppose both teams have earned the benefit of the doubt.

Only FOURTH!!!!!

NFL analysts offer these grades on Buffalo's 2021 free agency moves

Buffalo Bills Notable moves:

Re-signed LB Matt Milano (4 years, $44M)

Re-signed OT Daryl Williams (3 years, $28M)

Re-signed OG Jon Feliciano (3 years)

Agreed to deal with Saints WR Emmanuel Sanders (1 year)

Key Additions: TE Jacob Hollister, WR Emmanuel Sanders, QB Mitch Trubisky

^^^^^

No major losses and expectedly better players to replace those nearly departed.  

1 hour ago, SlimShady'sSpaceForce said:

Only FOURTH!!!!!

NFL analysts offer these grades on Buffalo's 2021 free agency moves

Buffalo Bills Notable moves:

Re-signed LB Matt Milano (4 years, $44M)

Re-signed OT Daryl Williams (3 years, $28M)

Re-signed OG Jon Feliciano (3 years)

Agreed to deal with Saints WR Emmanuel Sanders (1 year)

Key Additions: TE Jacob Hollister, WR Emmanuel Sanders, QB Mitch Trubisky

^^^^^

No major losses and expectedly better players to replace those nearly departed.  

I think there is a case that could be made for 3rd. But I don't see an issue in ranking Green Bay ahead of the Bills.

• Like (+1) 1