Who thinks teaching is a hard job?

Is teaching a hard job?   

35 members have voted

1. 1. Is teaching a hard job?

• Yes
    • No

9 hours ago, The Governor said:

The biggest problem I see in the schools is the inclusion policy. These kids really can’t be in the same school. It’s not fair to them or anyone else.

You can’t deliberately hold people back because there isn’t ubiquity.

Life isn’t fair. Some kids are born into millionaire families some into poverty. Some people are brilliant with high IQ, some not. 

today’s virtual construct solves access. 

No one can win unless everyone can win is a false narrative. 

20 minutes ago, B-Man said:

MORE

Virginia Public Schools Decide to Deal With Low Minority Participation in Accelerated Math Classes as Only the Racist Left Could

https://redstate.com/streiff/2021/04/23/virginia-public-schools-decide-to-deal-with-low-minority-participation-in-accelerated-math-classes-as-only-the-racist-left-could-n367603

The worst thing about this is that is liberalism that is causing it on the first place. Inner city schools can't punish the 10% of students properly when they are disrupting the classroom. Every teacher I work with who taught in the city schools was spending far too much time dealing with a few problematic students to the detriment of the 80% who could flourish. 

• Like (+1) 1

20 hours ago, Over 29 years of fanhood said:

People advancing based on intellect is some kind of “ist”.  Just as they are clamping down on all these criminally racist schools accepting the smartest applicants as opposed to rejecting Asians because despite their elite qualifications they came from a culturally ingrained privilege of valuing education. 

Can we start running the NBA the same way, I come from a culture that does not excel at basketball and therefore I should be given special dispensation to make millions. This kind of mentality is exactly how I run my elementary school basketball team- regardless of talent you will play a good amount. 

• Haha (+1) 1

8 minutes ago, Buffalo Timmy said:

Can we start running the NBA the same way, I come from a culture that does not excel at basketball and therefore I should be given special dispensation to make millions. This kind of mentality is exactly how I run my elementary school basketball team- regardless of talent you will play a good amount. 

I’ll settle for baseball or football if NBA is too narrow to accommodate everyone 

11 hours ago, Buffalo Timmy said:

The worst thing about this is that is liberalism that is causing it on the first place. Inner city schools can't punish the 10% of students properly when they are disrupting the classroom. Every teacher I work with who taught in the city schools was spending far too much time dealing with a few problematic students to the detriment of the 80% who could flourish. 

It’s the Federal inclusion law. They aren’t problematic as in punks that misbehave, they’re special needs kids being thrown in with the general population and the schools can’t do anything about it.

11 minutes ago, The Governor said:

It’s the Federal inclusion law. They aren’t problematic as in punks that misbehave, they’re special needs kids being thrown in with the general population and the schools can’t do anything about it.

It’s actually both. Our public schools are a mess! They’ve lost their way and pretty much abandoned their core mission of teaching students. Way too much pandering going on with little to no support from parents who are often too busy to care.

6 minutes ago, SoCal Deek said:

It’s actually both. Our public schools are a mess! They’ve lost their way and pretty much abandoned their core mission of teaching students. Way too much pandering going on with little to no support from parents who are often too busy to care.

Yeah, don’t even get me started on parents. 

But just so some here understand, this isn’t some “librul” conspiracy, that federal inclusion law was bi-partisan and enacted back in the 70’s.

Edited by The Governor

Just now, The Governor said:

Yeah, don’t even get me started on parents. 

But just some some here understand, this isn’t some “librul” conspiracy, that federal inclusion law was bi-partisan and enacted back in the 70’s.

Agreed. I’m not sure why it would be difficult to imagine what would happen from all of this inclusion. I’m not saying it’s all bad, but the result is totally predictable. If you insert students into a classroom that either refuse to be taught or for other disfunctional reasons, can’t be taught at either grade level or speed, it doesn’t take a genius to figure out that you’re going to ###### the advancement of the remaining kids in the room. 

Just now, SoCal Deek said:

Agreed. I’m not sure why it would be difficult to imagine what would happen from all of this inclusion. I’m not saying it’s all bad, but the result is totally predictable. If you insert students into a classroom that either refuse to be taught or for other disfunctional reasons, can’t be taught at either grade level or speed, it doesn’t take a genius to figure out that you’re going to ###### the advancement of the remaining kids in the room. 

I cannot believe that this message board will not allow you type the word r e t a r d. It’s a real world with actual meaning!!! It’s not being used as a slur in this context. Sheeesh

On 3/30/2021 at 4:50 PM, SoCal Deek said:

You have to be the most depressing person in America.  You really believe that the general public thinks teachers get paid too much? And/or that they get too much time off?  What polling shows that?  

I could dig up some state polling that says that.

5 minutes ago, SoCal Deek said:

I live in California. I’m sure it’s different across the country.

Overall mood on teachers has improved over the last few years, but 8-10 years ago most polling broke against teachers even here in NJ.

Thats all Chris Christie did was attack teachers. Florida and NC were the same. 

Just now, The Governor said:

Overall mood on teachers has improved over the last few years, but 8-10 years ago most polling broke against teachers even here in NJ.

Thats all Chris Christie did was attack teachers. Florida and NC were the same. 

My wife is a recently retired teacher/counselor and was very well compensated with a great pension to boot. What one person thinks of another person’s pay is more in the eye of the beholder than anything else.

Question: What’s something worth? Answer: What someone is willing to pay for it.

• Agree 1

On 4/22/2021 at 7:47 PM, The Governor said:

The virtual teaching is actually a lot more difficult and takes more time. In the South you don’t get “prep” time before the day starts. You have to do it at home or stay longer. It probably requires 50 hours a week of your time.

I'm not sure what your point is here.  Are you saying a 50 week it too much?

27 minutes ago, The Governor said:

Do you usually work 10-20 hours a week for free when you aren’t on-site?

I don’t get paid by the hour. I spend all sorts of time on perfecting my craft outside normal business hours because I know the better I get at what I do I will make more money.  And I’ve been doing it for 20 years.  So the answer to your question is a hell yeah!  

• Like (+1) 1

3 hours ago, Chef Jim said:

I don’t get paid by the hour. I spend all sorts of time on perfecting my craft outside normal business hours because I know the better I get at what I do I will make more money.  And I’ve been doing it for 20 years.  So the answer to your question is a hell yeah!  

Found the millennial! 

Someone should hire this young lad. He will answer texts and emails when his workday is done.

You could go on vacation!

This poster will run your entire business. You don’t even have to pay him.

Weekends? No problem!

Edited by The Governor

3 hours ago, The Governor said:

Found the millennial! 

Someone should hire this young lad. He will answer texts and emails when his workday is done.

Weekends? No problem!

What in the world is this gibberish?? 

You never answered my question. Are teachers exempt or nonexempt?  

On 4/23/2021 at 7:05 PM, Over 29 years of fanhood said:

You can’t deliberately hold people back because there isn’t ubiquity.

Life isn’t fair. Some kids are born into millionaire families some into poverty. Some people are brilliant with high IQ, some not. 

today’s virtual construct solves access. 

No one can win unless everyone can win is a false narrative. 

this is the philosophy. dont raise people up to reach a higher standard, bring everyone else down. dont fix the issue at the source, remove the result so it can continue to happen. put blame on those who succeed instead of targeting why some are not. 

keep pointing fingers at others for problems so you never have to do the actual work of solving it. someone else should be responsable for it. motivation, self reflection and hard work must be avoided at all cost.

Edited by Buffarukus
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

12 hours ago, The Governor said:

I will disagree, the low level kids are an issue but not in the manner I mean. The ones I am discussing are the kids who will swear at the teacher, throw things at other students, basically being openly defiant because they know that the school can't do much to them. The low level kids are being hurt by the law but are not the ones destroying the chances of other students.

by the way this is not a yes no answer. ive been in courses where a teacher had premade videos teach the course and computer program that corrected homework. teachers that were absent  75% of a semester for a public speaking class. had such a huge curve no one was required to actually pass. I'd say no.

then there were amazing teachers that put their all into each class and made free time for anyone struggling needing extra tutoring. that's not easy but its appreciated. id say yes.

It's going to be an extinct job and we warned you last year.  

Their Union doesn't care about its members that thought this virtual "learning" set up was necessary - they were lied to.  

New York City Schools Are Reopening, But A Staggering Number Of Students Are Still Out Of The Classroom

“It should be like that forever.”

According to The Wall Street Journal, 51,000 students returned to school on Monday for the first time since the U.S. went on lockdown. But 61% of the city’s students – 582,000 students – will continue learning virtually.

At least one teacher, Peter O’Donnell, believes students and families will continue to choose remote learning as long as it’s offered. The only way to get back to a pre-COVID “normal” is to remove that option, O’Donnell said.

Part of that, O’Donnell explained, is because students have become accustomed to online schooling and the freedom it gives them.

At least one teacher, Peter O’Donnell, believes students and families will continue to choose remote learning as long as it’s offered. The only way to get back to a pre-COVID “normal” is to remove that option, O’Donnell said.

https://www.dailywire.com/news/new-york-city-schools-are-reopening-but-a-staggering-number-of-students-are-still-out-of-the-classroom

If my kids weren't about to suffer thru this transition that is finally going to end public education and the mass indoctrination that has occurred for decades, I'd be so thrilled. 

But they're going to be in schools 1/4 full.  That's sad and makes me livid. 

I'm just going to keep telling myself what a massive net positive this is going to be in the long run for conservatism in America.  

Just wait till the Left realizes this then tries to make you go back to a brick and mortal school as if it were still 2019.

Nope it's 2030 we don't need you anymore.

If you're under 30, change careers.  It's over.  

Edited by Big Blitz

On 4/24/2021 at 4:28 PM, The Governor said:

Found the millennial! 

Weekends? No problem!

lots of people on salary work more than 40 hour. In IT we do cutovers 12 or more times a year that go from midnight to 8 am Sunday morning. There’s no extra pay for that. 

in other less entitled parts of the world people work a helluva lot more than 50 hrs per week for professional jobs. 

Teaching well is a tough job, but it’s not uniquely tough and they get paid pretty decently in many school districts. The job security is also extremely high. 

in fact I started engineering right out of school and my wife started teaching at the same time. She made slightly more than I did, But my job was more demanding than hers. 

I think there are some teachers who set out to do the job thinking it’s easy and summers off and all then are rudely awakened to the realities that work is well..... work

Edited by Over 29 years of fanhood

4 hours ago, Over 29 years of fanhood said:

lots of people on salary work more than 40 hour. In IT we do cutovers 12 or more times a year that go from midnight to 8 am Sunday morning. There’s no extra pay for that. 

in other less entitled parts of the world people work a helluva lot more than 50 hrs per week for professional jobs. 

Teaching well is a tough job, but it’s not uniquely tough and they get paid pretty decently in many school districts. The job security is also extremely high. 

in fact I started engineering right out of school and my wife started teaching at the same time. She made slightly more than I did, But my job was more demanding than hers. 

I think there are some teachers who set out to do the job thinking it’s easy and summers off and all then are rudely awakened to the realities that work is well..... work

My original point was about lesson planning. In NJ, thst time is in your union contract.

in NC, and most of the South, you don’t have that time so you have to use your entire weekend doing it. Teaching is a 7 day/week job there for little pay.

Now, some would say, “why not just use your lesson planning from the previous year?”

Well, in the South, you’re not teaching that same grade the following year. They almost always change it so you have to do it all again each year for whatever grade you’re teaching.

29 minutes ago, The Governor said:

My original point was about lesson planning. In NJ, thst time is in your union contract.

in NC, and most of the South, you don’t have that time so you have to use your entire weekend doing it. Teaching is a 7 day/week job there for little pay.

Now, some would say, “why not just use your lesson planning from the previous year?”

Well, in the South, you’re not teaching that same grade the following year. They almost always change it so you have to do it all again each year for whatever grade you’re teaching.

I’ve got family teaching in Virginia, NC Georgia and formally SC. If it’s a 7 day per week job, you’re either in a screwed up school district or there’s a productivity problem. sometimes people are bad at setting boundaries, I am for sure, but I don’t mind working as long as I see it’s getting me somewhere. 

Pay in NC was significantly superior to the surrounding states when I lived in Greenville. Not sure if that’s changed. 

8 minutes ago, Over 29 years of fanhood said:

I’ve got family teaching in Virginia, NC Georgia and formally SC. If it’s a 7 day per week job, you’re either in a screwed up school district or there’s a productivity problem. Pay in NC was significantly superior to the surrounding states when I lived in Greenville. Not sure if that’s changed. 

I think she started 18k higher in NJ this year. That goes up again next year. Wilmington and Raleigh pay the same. It’s poverty. I’m not sure how it could be much worse than NC. You start at like 35 and don’t hit 60k for like 10 years. 

You’d likely be around 85k in NJ after 10 years.

Edited by The Governor

10 minutes ago, The Governor said:

I think she started 18k higher in NJ this year. That goes up again next year. Wilmington and Raleigh pay the same. It’s poverty.

Jersey is way expensive over Wilmington. I have family outside of Wilmington. Dirt cheap to live. Don’t know Raleigh. So individual poverty in us is 13k / yr. starting teacher pay there is 41k. Avg is high 50s. That seems decent for that cost of living. I hope no one pursues  teaching to get rich, that would be misguided. 

Also a HH with two average salaried teachers at 50k/yr would be in the top 35% HHI in a lower cost of living. Not too bad... 

7 minutes ago, Over 29 years of fanhood said:

Jersey is way expensive over Wilmington. I have family outside of Wilmington. Dirt cheap to live. Don’t know Raleigh. So individual poverty in us is 13k / yr. starting teacher pay there is 41k. Avg is high 50s. That seems decent for that cost of living. I hope no one pursues  teaching to get rich, that would be misguided. 

Also a HH with two average salaried teachers at 50k/yr would be in the top 35% HHI in a lower cost of living. Not too bad... 

I just left there bud. Cost of living is nearly identical. This is the mistake people make. 

Maybe 10-12 years ago it was cheaper. Not anymore. All of the snowbirds moved in and everything is highly inflated. Raleigh is a little pricier than Wilmington but they’re pretty close. They both pay their teachers the same. Benefits suck. Pension sucks. No bonuses for doing extra stuff like the “Science Team” or whatever that’s called. Yeah, it’s a total joke down there.

You can’t go to UNCW, which is a pretty expensive school, and come out making 35 and then 42 or 43 in your 5th year of teaching. You don’t get to 50k for a long time.

15 minutes ago, The Governor said:

I just left there bud. Cost of living is nearly identical. This is the mistake people make. 

Maybe 10-12 years ago it was cheaper. Not anymore. All of the snowbirds moved in and everything is highly inflated. Raleigh is a little pricier than Wilmington but they’re pretty close. They both pay their teachers the same. Benefits suck. Pension sucks. No bonuses for doing extra stuff like the “Science Team” or whatever that’s called. Yeah, it’s a total joke down there.

You can’t go to UNCW, which is a pretty expensive school, and come out making 35 and then 42 or 43 in your 5th year of teaching. You don’t get to 50k for a long time.

Going to an expensive school for a teaching degree is definitely a poor investment. My wife got a masters from TC Columbia... lol. Hoping college prices plateau with virtual learning showing it can get the job done.

I suspect then your talking jersey not near philly or NYC. Hard to imagine taxes aren’t higher there and COl, but NC has been a place for northerners to flee taxes oppressive cost of living and crappy government. 

my relative moved to Southport and live well for cheap, but it’s probably a relative perspective. 

Good luck w/ jersey even if we despise each other’s political takes 😛 

• Like (+1) 1

20 minutes ago, Over 29 years of fanhood said:

Going to an expensive school for a teaching degree is definitely a poor investment. My wife got a masters from TC Columbia... lol. Hoping college prices plateau with virtual learning showing it can get the job done.

I suspect then your talking jersey not near philly or NYC. Hard to imagine taxes aren’t higher there and COl, but NC has been a place for northerners to flee taxes oppressive cost of living and crappy government. 

my relative moved to Southport and live well for cheap, but it’s probably a relative perspective. 

Good luck w/ jersey even if we despise each other’s political takes 😛 

Southport is pretty far. That’s where the old people go. Lol. I used to work down there a lot. It’s just an old fishing town. 

There's a community down there called St. James. They call that “little Jersey.”

Youre probably not touching a home down there for under 350 anymore. I know a few people that work at the nuclear plant there.  It’s decent for retired folks but I wouldn’t suggest any young person go down there unless you’re transferring to the Research Triangle with your northern salary or landed some hotshot tech job in Raleigh.

Believe it or not, taxes are really high in NC. They get you every which way. Property taxes are a few grand cheaper but it really isn’t the savings people think when they get there. Taxes on clothing, food, etc.

The only good thing about becoming a teacher is the loan forgiveness program. If they took that away, your Walmart greeters would be your teachers. Lol.

Edited by The Governor

16 hours ago, Big Blitz said:

It's going to be an extinct job and we warned you last year.  

Their Union doesn't care about its members that thought this virtual "learning" set up was necessary - they were lied to.  

New York City Schools Are Reopening, But A Staggering Number Of Students Are Still Out Of The Classroom

“It should be like that forever.”

According to The Wall Street Journal, 51,000 students returned to school on Monday for the first time since the U.S. went on lockdown. But 61% of the city’s students – 582,000 students – will continue learning virtually.

Part of that, O’Donnell explained, is because students have become accustomed to online schooling and the freedom it gives them.

https://www.dailywire.com/news/new-york-city-schools-are-reopening-but-a-staggering-number-of-students-are-still-out-of-the-classroom

If my kids weren't about to suffer thru this transition that is finally going to end public education and the mass indoctrination that has occurred for decades, I'd be so thrilled. 

But they're going to be in schools 1/4 full.  That's sad and makes me livid. 

I'm just going to keep telling myself what a massive net positive this is going to be in the long run for conservatism in America.  

Just wait till the Left realizes this then tries to make you go back to a brick and mortal school as if it were still 2019.

Nope it's 2030 we don't need you anymore.

If you're under 30, change careers.  It's over.  

If NYC is really planning on going virtual expect the gap to explode between the haves and have nots. In person learning at the lower levels is reliant on a teacher recognizing what a student does not understand without a student being able to explain what is not understood. My daughter has been face to face all year and her class all improved on a national test platform called iready. Kids who last year were in top 20% are now top 10%, and according to her teacher every single student improved. Online school for kids under 12 will be a disaster on a large scale implementation.

1 hour ago, Buffalo Timmy said:

If NYC is really planning on going virtual expect the gap to explode between the haves and have nots. In person learning at the lower levels is reliant on a teacher recognizing what a student does not understand without a student being able to explain what is not understood. My daughter has been face to face all year and her class all improved on a national test platform called iready. Kids who last year were in top 20% are now top 10%, and according to her teacher every single student improved. Online school for kids under 12 will be a disaster on a large scale implementation.

It isn’t actually happening. I’ve already heard states announce that there won’t be a virtual option for next year. I’m not sure if NY did yet but these are just scare tactics.

That poster is correct about kids not returning to class though. The worst part is that it’s kids of parents who complained about going virtual in the first place that haven’t gone back yet. Schools are open and the kids aren’t going.

Edited by The Governor

3 minutes ago, The Governor said:

It isn’t actually happening. I’ve already heard states announce that there won’t be a virtual option for next year. I’m not sure if NY did yet but these are just scare tactics.

It is not a scare tactics if the teachers union is pushing for it, and they are pushing for it in many places. I hope the political leaders stand up for our kids but I don't have faith. Also Florida and Texas announcing no virtual option does not mean NY will follow suit since FL has been full face to face all year but NY still is not.

5 minutes ago, Buffalo Timmy said:

It is not a scare tactics if the teachers union is pushing for it, and they are pushing for it in many places. I hope the political leaders stand up for our kids but I don't have faith. Also Florida and Texas announcing no virtual option does not mean NY will follow suit since FL has been full face to face all year but NY still is not.

NJ announced no virtual option. NY will follow. 

it’s possible that some private schools could remain virtual.

I’d be more afraid of what non-union states will do.

Edited by The Governor