Bills in on Gerald Everett (Gronk considered an offer from us)

22 minutes ago, Alphadawg7 said:

Everett is a significant upgrade to Knox in the passing game.  Pairing his athleticism with Allen would be a mismatch all over the field.  

He’s not a dynamic blocker, but he’s also not as bad as advertised.  We can always sign a blocking TE for more run game support.

And given Daboll is back, I’m not expecting the offense to be a lot different in philosophy next year, so I think the fact he’s got potential to a major threat for Allen in the passing game is more important attribute.  

I don’t think Beane will pay any TE that kind of money this year.

I hope our offense runs more 2TE sets because I don’t think that our OL will be able to run block very well and our RBs are just ok.  I feel that we’ll have to manufacture a better run game with confusion and some 2TE rpos 

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, NewEra said:

I hope our offense runs more 2TE sets because I don’t think that our OL will be able to run block very well and our RBs are just ok.  I feel that we’ll have to manufacture a better run game with confusion and some 2TE rpos 

🤔 

I think you are on to something

• Like (+1) 1

43 minutes ago, glazeduck said:

Also brings you Travis Kelce, George Kittle, Jimmy Graham, Darren Waller, Antonio Gates (undrafted), Dallas Goedirt...

Just because WE haven't hit on a mid-rd TE, doesn't mean it doesn't happen...

Just means it happens, but not to us?

7 minutes ago, NewEra said:

Me too, and the he duo of Everett as TE1 and Knox as TE2 would be a nightmare matchup in terms of athleticism.  Add in having to cover Beasley out of the slot and Diggs, not to mention spying Allen and that’s a lot of pressure from a 2 TE set you can put on the defense.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

12 minutes ago, Alphadawg7 said:

Me too, and the he duo of Everett as TE1 and Knox as TE2 would be a nightmare matchup in terms of athleticism.  Add in having to cover Beasley out of the slot and Diggs, not to mention spying Allen and that’s a lot of pressure from a 2 TE set you can put on the defense.

They’d just play dime because there is no running game threat. 

10 minutes ago, Alphadawg7 said:

It would be a matchup problem in terms of athleticism and in the pass game....but defenses will still be able to gameplan to stop the pass in those situations because neither of them are good blockers. Chances are, one of them will miss their blocks and that’s all it takes.  That’s what happened to us all season. One guy misses the block and the play is blown.

I do like the thought of Everett and knox in the run after the catch.  TE screens and even TE jet sweeps. I don’t hate the player....I’m just worried that spending 8-10M on a TE that can’t block will keep us from adding in other areas.  I’d rather have Patrick Peterson and/or a pass rusher. Let’s hope we can get both a TE and help in D

2 minutes ago, Over 29 years of fanhood said:

They’d just play dime because there is no running game threat. 

Good luck covering Everett with a small DB.  

2 minutes ago, NewEra said:

It would be a matchup problem in terms of athleticism and in the pass game....but defenses will still be able to gameplan to stop the pass in those situations because neither of them are good blockers. Chances are, one of them will miss their blocks and that’s all it takes.  That’s what happened to us all season. One guy misses the block and the play is blown.

I do like the thought of Everett and knox in the run after the catch.  TE screens and even TE jet sweeps. I don’t hate the player....I’m just worried that spending 8-10M on a TE that can’t block will keep us from adding in other areas.  I’d rather have Patrick Peterson and/or a pass rusher. Let’s hope we can get both a TE and help in D

Don’t get me wrong, I’m not willing to over pay Everett.  I’d be cool with $8M, but I don’t really want to hit double digits just because of cap reasons.

But, if you want a TE to block, you don’t have to put both Knox and Everett out there.  You can sign a TE who is more of a pass blocker for those situations, they are cheap.

But releasing both Knox and Everett on the play would be tough to defend.  

• Like (+1) 1

Just now, Over 29 years of fanhood said:

He’s smaller than Knox. 

He’s a beast, athletic beast.  A small DB isn’t going to cover Garrett effectively.  Trust me, I loved him out of college and Rams are my second team.  I’ve watched a lot of him, he’s better than you think.  

• Like (+1) 1

21 minutes ago, Alphadawg7 said:

I like the idea, but it doesn’t work with Beasley being a key piece in the offense. A slot receiver just doesn’t fit a 2 TE set. 

Perhaps if it’s something they run from time to time, but I can’t see them having Cole on the sidelines observing too often.

56 minutes ago, Alphadawg7 said:

I don’t think Beane will pay any TE that kind of money this year.

Rumor says Gronkowski had a "similar offer" from the Bills (eg $8M with incentives to $10) before he decided to re-up with Tampa

Translation IMO: he used us to inflate his contract with them, but anyway, may shed light on Beane's thinking of his market price for a TE

• Like (+1) 1

Just now, TOboy said:

I like the idea, but it doesn’t work with Beasley being a key piece in the offense. A slot receiver just doesn’t fit a 2 TE set. 

Perhaps if it’s something they run from time to time, but I can’t see them having Cole on the sidelines observing too often.

Daboll is very creative, I can see him having Beasley out there as well.  They don’t always line him in the slot and move him around a lot.  

4 minutes ago, Alphadawg7 said:

Good luck covering Everett with a small DB.  

Don’t get me wrong, I’m not willing to over pay Everett.  I’d be cool with $8M, but I don’t really want to hit double digits just because of cap reasons.

But, if you want a TE to block, you don’t have to put both Knox and Everett out there.  You can sign a TE who is more of a pass blocker for those situations, they are cheap.

But releasing both Knox and Everett on the play would be tough to defend.  

I don’t think it works like that.  We had that last year with Lee Smith.  We still weren’t able to or were reluctant to run.  When the blocking TE is out there, the D will just leave him alone, like they did with Smith (and sometimes even knox).  

I want to run 2TE sets so we can keep the D off balance and be multidimensional.  Having the ability to run and pass.  When we have a TE out there who is useless in the pass game, it doesn’t keep them off balance.   

jmo

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

Rumor says Gronkowski had a "similar offer" from the Bills (eg $8M with incentives to $10) before he decided to re-up with Tampa

Translation IMO: he used us to inflate his contract with them, but anyway, may shed light on Beane's thinking of his market price for a TE

Yeah I’m thinking he’s targeting $8m range with incentives personally, and I’m cool with that.  I could stomach $10m, but I doubt he goes over $10m for any TE out there.  

Just now, Alphadawg7 said:

He’s a beast, athletic beast.  A small DB isn’t going to cover Garrett effectively.  Trust me, I loved him out of college and Rams are my second team.  I’ve watched a lot of him, he’s better than you think.  

I don’t have much of opinion on him, I’m fine giving it a shot, just saying replacing a WR with a tweener TE isn’t scaring anyone. If he is and upgrade to knox, then go for it and knox can ride the bench. 

what’s  this noise about small hands btw?? 😆 

2 minutes ago, NewEra said:

I don’t think it works like that.  We had that last year with Lee Smith.  We still weren’t able to or were reluctant to run.  When the blocking TE is out there, the D will just leave him alone, like they did with Smith (and sometimes even knox).  

I want to run 2TE sets so we can keep the D off balance and be multidimensional.  Having the ability to run and pass.  When we have a TE out there who is useless in the pass game, it doesn’t keep them off balance.   

jmo

I don’t think there is anything wrong with your opinion, and mostly agree with it too.

But there are not a lot of guys who fit that description, and for me, my higher priority is the TE being a weapon given Dabolls system.  

1 minute ago, Over 29 years of fanhood said:

I don’t have much of opinion on him, I’m fine giving it a shot, just saying replacing a WR with a tweener TE isn’t scaring anyone. If he is and upgrade to knox, then go for it and knox can ride the bench. 

what’s  this noise about small hands btw?? 😆 

Im not sure I follow that he’s a tweener though, he’s not small.  He doesn’t have say the weight of a good blocking TE, but we wouldn’t be signing him to for that role.

Edited by Alphadawg7
  • Agree 2