H.R. 1 And The Fight For Voting Rights -- We The People!

1 hour ago, BillStime said:

Why didn’t the new bill replace the 100’s of recently closed voting sites in mostly black areas? 

Who knows? I don't even know that your assessment is true....but you immediately think there's some racist basis for it.  What should be scary to everyone on both the Left and the Right, is that people's votes would be dependent on the amount of pigment in their skin.  THAT is the real racism! 

21 minutes ago, SoCal Deek said:

Who knows? I don't even know that your assessment is true....but you immediately think there's some racist basis for it.  What should be scary to everyone on both the Left and the Right, is that people's votes would be dependent on the amount of pigment in their skin.  THAT is the real racism! 

It's not based on race. It based on socio-economic and geographic issues.  Does @BillStime talk about how this will effect poor rural areas of GA?  Are those mostly non-POC?  How close is their closest DMV or polling place?  If @BillStime and others screaming racism want to discuss why most poor inner city residents are POC they need to start a thread dedicated to that topic and I'd be more than happy to participate.  

1 hour ago, BillStime said:

The people the GQP are targeting cannot afford to miss a pay day though... and that's the point.

Neither can the people (the hospitality industry is over represented by minorities) missing work and business because the MLB moved the game which was my point.

30 minutes ago, reddogblitz said:

Neither can the people (the hospitality industry is over represented by minorities) missing work and business because the MLB moved the game which was my point.

This is a very interesting point.  Has the MLB and others supporting the move of the game thought about how this will effect "regular" people?  

And yes the boycotts that Trump called for are asinine.  We're big kids we can decide who, when and why we will boycott products/services.  

3 minutes ago, Chef Jim said:

This is a very interesting point.  Has the MLB and others supporting the move of the game thought about how this will effect "regular" people?  

And yes the boycotts that Trump called for are asinine.  We're big kids we can decide who, when and why we will boycott products/services.  

Wait, now you guys care about regular people?

37 minutes ago, Chef Jim said:

It's not based on race. It based on socio-economic and geographic issues.  Does @BillStime talk about how this will effect poor rural areas of GA?  Are those mostly non-POC?  How close is their closest DMV or polling place?  If @BillStime and others screaming racism want to discuss why most poor inner city residents are POC they need to start a thread dedicated to that topic and I'd be more than happy to participate.  

Are you afraid to get educated on how polling locations were closed in Georgia?

5 minutes ago, BillStime said:

Wait, now you guys care about regular people?

Excuse me?  Can you explain what you mean by this.  I'm pretty sure I know but I'd love to hear it from you.  

7 minutes ago, BillStime said:

I'm trying to educate myself on how this Bill is racists but I'm not finding anything.  Where can I look?  What should I read? Who should I talk to?  Please help a man out please. 

22 minutes ago, BillStime said:

Georgia NPR...............NOTHING about closing polling locations.

gpb-logo.svg     What Does Georgia's New Voting Law SB 202 Do?

https://www.gpb.org/news/2021/03/27/what-does-georgias-new-voting-law-sb-202-do

FTA:

State and local governments are no longer allowed to send unsolicited applications, and third-party groups that send applications have new rules to follow, too. Their applications must be clearly marked as being "NOT an official government publication" that it is "NOT a ballot," and must clearly state which group is sending the blank request.

Plus, third-party groups are only allowed to send applications to voters who have not already requested or voted an absentee ballot. The groups potentially face a penalty for each duplicate sent.

Secure absentee ballot drop boxes — which did not exist a year ago — are now officially part of state law, but not without some new changes. The law now requires all 159 counties to have at least one drop box, caps the number of boxes at one per 100,000 active voters or one for every early voting site (whichever is smaller) and moves them inside early voting sites instead of outside on government property. Additionally, the drop boxes will only be accessible during early voting days and hours instead of 24/7.

The State Election Board authorized drop boxes using the emergency rule process because of the coronavirus pandemic, and even that process is now being tweaked. The board must provide more notice of proposed emergency rules and has a much more limited scope in which it can enact those rules.

For polling place changes or closures, the law now requires better notice of those changes, including a 4-by-4-foot sign that shows where the new location is.

(NO mandatory closing, number to reflect the amount of voters expected)

Another change that was proposed last year and is now law would require large polling places with long lines to take action if wait times surpass an hour at certain times during the day. Those massive polls with more than 2,000 voters and wait times longer than an hour would have to hire more staff, add more workers or split up the precinct after that election. More than 1,500 of Georgia's precincts have over 2,000 voters.

Another new rule that affects both in-person early voting and election day voting would prohibit anyone except poll workers from handing out water to voters in line, and outlaw passing out food and water to voters within 150 feet of the building that serves as a poll, inside a polling place or within 25 feet of any voter standing in line. Depending on the location, it is still possible for third-party groups to have food and water available  — and it is possible for the lines to extend beyond 150 feet.

During early voting, counties must publicly report daily how many people have voted in person, how many absentee ballots have been issued, returned, accepted and rejected. Early voting sites and times must be published publicly ahead of time.

ALL changes that will help VERIFY a Fair vote.

No wonder Dems are upset.

3 minutes ago, Chef Jim said:

Excuse me?  Can you explain what you mean by this.  I'm pretty sure I know but I'd love to hear it from you.  

I'm trying to educate myself on how this Bill is racists but I'm not finding anything.  Where can I look?  What should I read? Who should I talk to?  Please help a man out please. 

Jim, I've been participating on this board for over a year now.

I have never seen anyone like you get so defensive and so outspoken about RACISM.

• Nothing fits YOUR DEFINITION of RACISM
  • Nothing meets your criteria of racism; especially when your party is accused of it
  • Nobody can convince you that systemic racism exists

Just look at your posting history here  - you are a broken record - we have 8 pages totaling 188 entries of you pushing back on racism - maybe it IS time to look in the mirror, Jim?

https://www.twobillsdrive.com/community/search/?&q=racist racists racism systemic racism&author=Chef Jim&search_and_or=or&sortby=relevancy

• Eyeroll 1

7 minutes ago, BillStime said:

Jim, I've been participating on this board for over a year now.

I have never seen anyone like you get so defensive and so outspoken about RACISM.

• Nothing fits YOUR DEFINITION of RACISM
  • Nothing meets your criteria of racism; especially when your party is accused of it
  • Nobody can convince you that systemic racism exists

Just look at your posting history here  - you are a broken record - we have 8 pages totaling 188 entries of you pushing back on racism - maybe it IS time to look in the mirror, Jim?

https://www.twobillsdrive.com/community/search/?&q=racist racists racism systemic racism&author=Chef Jim&search_and_or=or&sortby=relevancy

I'm not pushing back on racism.  I hate racism.  i won't get into why I do because frankly it's none of your business.   But here's what really Really REALLY pisses me off and it's been off the charts the past few years.  When people cry RACISM when there is none.  And in my mind there is NONE here.  When the President of the US calls this Jim Crow on steroids I have a major problem with this.  Do you even know what Jim Crow is/was?  The President should be called out and called out hard for even uttering those words.  I have asked you several times what makes this Bill racists and you have not, and likely CANNOT answer that.  I'm sorry that you can't understand where  I'm coming from with this and hopefully you do now.

So to your bullet points.  

• Nothing fits my definition of racism?  Seriously?  I grew up surrounded by it.  
  • Nothing meets my criteria of racism? See bullet point one.  Kind of redundant there.  Especially when my party is accused of it?  Accusations are like opinions and ass holes.  Proof is what I live on and you, and others, point to things as racist all the time with no proof of it.  I've said it a million times and I'll say it a million more. When everything becomes racist nothing is racist.  And my party?  MY party??  LOLOLOL!!! 
  • No one can convince me that systemic racism exists?  No they cannot.  Does racism exist? Absolutely!!!  Is it systemic?  IMO...no.  And I've not seen anyone show proof that it does. 

Racism is the new boogeyman in the room.  And if actual racism wasn't a horrible thing what is being considered racism today would be comical.  Again we are downplaying actual racism buy calling Bills such as this racist.  Call it unfair to inner city people and old folks if you like but do NOT call it racism! 

• Thank you (+1) 1

40 minutes ago, B-Man said:

Georgia NPR...............NOTHING about closing polling locations.

gpb-logo.svg     What Does Georgia's New Voting Law SB 202 Do?

https://www.gpb.org/news/2021/03/27/what-does-georgias-new-voting-law-sb-202-do

FTA:

State and local governments are no longer allowed to send unsolicited applications, and third-party groups that send applications have new rules to follow, too. Their applications must be clearly marked as being "NOT an official government publication" that it is "NOT a ballot," and must clearly state which group is sending the blank request.

Plus, third-party groups are only allowed to send applications to voters who have not already requested or voted an absentee ballot. The groups potentially face a penalty for each duplicate sent.

Secure absentee ballot drop boxes — which did not exist a year ago — are now officially part of state law, but not without some new changes. The law now requires all 159 counties to have at least one drop box, caps the number of boxes at one per 100,000 active voters or one for every early voting site (whichever is smaller) and moves them inside early voting sites instead of outside on government property. Additionally, the drop boxes will only be accessible during early voting days and hours instead of 24/7.

The State Election Board authorized drop boxes using the emergency rule process because of the coronavirus pandemic, and even that process is now being tweaked. The board must provide more notice of proposed emergency rules and has a much more limited scope in which it can enact those rules.

For polling place changes or closures, the law now requires better notice of those changes, including a 4-by-4-foot sign that shows where the new location is.

(NO mandatory closing, number to reflect the amount of voters expected)

Another change that was proposed last year and is now law would require large polling places with long lines to take action if wait times surpass an hour at certain times during the day. Those massive polls with more than 2,000 voters and wait times longer than an hour would have to hire more staff, add more workers or split up the precinct after that election. More than 1,500 of Georgia's precincts have over 2,000 voters.

Another new rule that affects both in-person early voting and election day voting would prohibit anyone except poll workers from handing out water to voters in line, and outlaw passing out food and water to voters within 150 feet of the building that serves as a poll, inside a polling place or within 25 feet of any voter standing in line. Depending on the location, it is still possible for third-party groups to have food and water available  — and it is possible for the lines to extend beyond 150 feet.

During early voting, counties must publicly report daily how many people have voted in person, how many absentee ballots have been issued, returned, accepted and rejected. Early voting sites and times must be published publicly ahead of time.

ALL changes that will help VERIFY a Fair vote.

No wonder Dems are upset.

Thank you for proving my point - there is nothing in the bill about REopening the hundred+ locations that were closed in the past few years.

Why Do Nonwhite Georgia Voters Have To Wait In Line For Hours? Too Few Polling Places

• The clogged polling locations in metro Atlanta reflect an underlying pattern: the number of places to vote has shrunk statewide, with little recourse. Although the reduction in polling places has taken place across racial lines, it has primarily caused long lines in nonwhite neighborhoods where voter registration has surged and more residents cast ballots in person on Election Day. The pruning of polling places started long before the pandemic, which has discouraged people from voting in person.
  • The metro Atlanta area has been hit particularly hard. The nine counties — Fulton, Gwinnett, Forsyth, DeKalb, Cobb, Hall, Cherokee, Henry and Clayton — have nearly half of the state's active voters but only 38% of the polling places, according to the analysis.

Southern U.S. states have closed 1,200 polling places in recent years: rights group

• As turnout has surged in recent elections, voters in cities like Phoenix, Arizona and Atlanta, Georgia, have endured hours-long waits to cast their ballots.
  • Seven counties in Georgia now have only one polling place, the report found.\

Polling Places in Black Communities Continue to Close Ahead of November Elections

• 10 counties with large black populations in Georgia closed polling spots after a white elections consultant recommended they do so to save money. When the consultant suggested a similar move in Randolph County, pushback was enough to keep its nine polling places open.

Precincts have closed across Georgia and nation since court ruling

Voting rights groups alarmed after Cobb County cuts half of its early-voting sites for Ga. Senate runoffs

Edited by BillStime

6 minutes ago, BillStime said:

Thank you for proving my point - there is nothing in the bill about REopening the hundred+ locations that were closed in the past few years.

So there is NOTHING in the new bill that closes voting places

Thank you for proving my point about the hysterical response that you and others have assigned to it.

3 minutes ago, BillStime said:

Why Do Nonwhite Georgia Voters Have To Wait In Line For Hours? Too Few Polling Places

• The clogged polling locations in metro Atlanta reflect an underlying pattern: the number of places to vote has shrunk statewide, with little recourse. Although the reduction in polling places has taken place across racial lines, it has primarily caused long lines in nonwhite neighborhoods where voter registration has surged and more residents cast ballots in person on Election Day. The pruning of polling places started long before the pandemic, which has discouraged people from voting in person.
  • The metro Atlanta area has been hit particularly hard. The nine counties — Fulton, Gwinnett, Forsyth, DeKalb, Cobb, Hall, Cherokee, Henry and Clayton — have nearly half of the state's active voters but only 38% of the polling places, according to the analysis.

Southern U.S. states have closed 1,200 polling places in recent years: rights group

• As turnout has surged in recent elections, voters in cities like Phoenix, Arizona and Atlanta, Georgia, have endured hours-long waits to cast their ballots.
  • Seven counties in Georgia now have only one polling place, the report found.\

Polling Places in Black Communities Continue to Close Ahead of November Elections

• 10 counties with large black populations in Georgia closed polling spots after a white elections consultant recommended they do so to save money. When the consultant suggested a similar move in Randolph County, pushback was enough to keep its nine polling places open.

Precincts have closed across Georgia and nation since court ruling

Voting rights groups alarmed after Cobb County cuts half of its early-voting sites for Ga. Senate runoffs

The Dems were able to slide in all kinds of rules changes in 2020 in key States so they should be resourceful enough to find a remedy for any of these issues before 2024.   

1 minute ago, B-Man said:

So there is NOTHING in the new bill that closes voting places

Thank you for proving my point about the hysterical response that you and others have assigned to it.

So, we should just ignore the fact that Georgia closed hundreds off voting sites the past few years; including during the run off elections?

Let's be clear @B-Man:

The new Georgia voting law in not in response to voter fraud. It's in response to voter turnout.

8 minutes ago, BillStime said:

So, we should just ignore the fact that Georgia closed hundreds off voting sites the past few years; including during the run off elections?

Let's be clear @B-Man:

The new Georgia voting law in not in response to voter fraud. It's in response to voter turnout.

Why the focus on Georgia regarding this?  Do you know that CA has closed down the number of polling places recently?  NYC has an issue with the number of polling places and long lines.  Are these state's issues due to racism too?  

Edited by Chef Jim

Just now, Chef Jim said:

Why the focus on Georgia regarding this?  Do you know that CA has closed down the number of polling places recently?  NYC has an issue with the number of polling places and long lines.  Are these state's issues due to racism too?  

Once again, you are making excellent points in favor of pushing H.R.1 through.  Thank you very much Jim.

20 minutes ago, SoCal Deek said:

Regular people? As opposed to irregular? Or shall we say ‘deplorable’? It’s literally impossible for anyone to become more prejudiced than you. 

LMAO - nice try. I was highlighting @Chef Jim's word choice - not mine.  Keep up DEEK.

image.thumb.png.90c37d0d80b51d5ac2ab591befc9a7dd.png