Jump to content

Recommended Posts

7 hours ago, Georgie said:

If I got this rignt: Star didn't count ( much,if anything)against the 2020 cap. His cap hit returns in 2021 for 7.6 million 

Correct.  $750k last season, $7.6M this season.  His salary is fully guaranteed this season and $2.5M of it is guaranteed in 2022.  He’d have a $5.1M dead cap in 2022 if released after this season.  If he chooses to retire for personal reasons we obviously would not have to pay the guaranteed salary, but I do not expect that.  If anything it would be an Eric Wood situation where he claims his body can’t handle it anymore and, thus, he’d get to collect his remaining guaranteed money. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Feels like there is a thread for this already...  

I think a fair amount of players on the Bills have a deadline of taking a pay cut or outright getting cut.  

Harry Anderson is available.  Since he ruined Steve Hauschka's career with a cheap shot hit, the Bills should sign him just to bring him to camp so someone can break his legs.

Posted Images

12 hours ago, DCofNC said:

First of all, we don’t know Star is coming back, after a year off, he may be done.  Secondly, the cap hit sucks, but the roster spot is valuable too, so if he’s lost anything (not that he had a lot), I don’t need him in the way.   So yeah, I could see him going.

 

11 hours ago, Doc Brown said:

I worry about Star retiring.  He’s obviously concerned about his long term health opting out this year.  Pretty sure we’d take that additional cap hit if he did.

 

If Star retires, the Bills will go after his unamortized signing bonus.  If he opts-out again, he has just a $750K cap hit (again).

Link to post
Share on other sites
19 hours ago, NewEra said:

Ok....so you want to get rid of Hyde and Hughes.  We can save 12-13M.  Who do you plan on replacing them with?

 

that leaves us with who at DE?  If we’re going to cut Jerry, I’m sure we’d have to cut Addison too, because keeping Addison and cutting Jerry is asinine.  So that leaves us with AJ and Daryl johnson at DE.  Which means we have to sign 2 starting DEs.  
 

we save 5.1 cutting Hyde.  Who are we replacing him with?  A new safety that doesn’t know the D and doesn’t have a rapport with Poyer and the other DBs.  
 

makes sense....,if you don’t want to win a super bowl

 

 

Missed the part where I said replacing Hughes for less may not be possible huh?  
 

Hyde’s roll is not that difficult to replace, he himself was just a converted corner at one point.  Decisions have to be made, a safety not named Ed Reed isn’t going to be your difference maker to put you over the top, again, I like him, but I won’t be surprised to see them look at a younger/cheaper option.  They need some impact guys and 5M could be the difference in it being a reality. 
 

I’d gladly say goodbye to Hughes, Addison and Hyde if it means we can resign Josh, and Matt Judon and hopefully keep Brown.

Link to post
Share on other sites
20 hours ago, DCofNC said:


I am a huge fan of Hyde, but I believe he’s replaceable, in terms of production at very least.  Hughes is at that point where he’s just a player in my eyes.  He’s good, but the explosive, game changer, is gone.  I’m also a believer in getting rid of a guy a year early vs a year late.  Now the clear argument is trying to replace him for less money, that may not be possible as his position is a premium.

First of all, we don’t know Star is coming back, after a year off, he may be done.  Secondly, the cap hit sucks, but the roster spot is valuable too, so if he’s lost anything (not that he had a lot), I don’t need him in the way.   So yeah, I could see him going.

 

7 minutes ago, DCofNC said:

Missed the part where I said replacing Hughes for less may not be possible huh?  
 

Hyde’s roll is not that difficult to replace, he himself was just a converted corner at one point.  Decisions have to be made, a safety not named Ed Reed isn’t going to be your difference maker to put you over the top, again, I like him, but I won’t be surprised to see them look at a younger/cheaper option.  They need some impact guys and 5M could be the difference in it being a reality. 
 

I’d gladly say goodbye to Hughes, Addison and Hyde if it means we can resign Josh, and Matt Judon and hopefully keep Brown.

No, I saw that part too.  I just don’t see any sense at all in cutting Jerry at this point.  You said he’s just a guy.  You said his “explosiveness is gone” and that he’s not a game changer.  He certainly was a game changer in the divisional playoff game vs Baltimore..... 6 sacks in the last 4 playoff games.  The fact that he’s “just a guy” in your mind is where I disagree.  He isn’t that.  
 

and mcdermott and Beane seem to disagree with you about Hyde as well.  
 

Edit:  Matt Judon?  That’s really the DE you want?  A guy that’s never played 4-3 DE?   There are several solid pass rushers available.....why judon over Hendrickson, Lawson?  They’ll be about the same price? 

Edited by NewEra
Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, BarleyNY said:

Correct.  $750k last season, $7.6M this season.  His salary is fully guaranteed this season and $2.5M of it is guaranteed in 2022.  He’d have a $5.1M dead cap in 2022 if released after this season.  If he chooses to retire for personal reasons we obviously would not have to pay the guaranteed salary, but I do not expect that.  If anything it would be an Eric Wood situation where he claims his body can’t handle it anymore and, thus, he’d get to collect his remaining guaranteed money. 

I don't think it would be the same situation as Eric Wood.  They found a career ending injury with him, so it would be a bad look going after this money.  If Star decided to retire for his own reasons, then thats his own choice and shouldn't get it.

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, NewEra said:

 

No, I saw that part too.  I just don’t see any sense at all in cutting Jerry at this point.  You said he’s just a guy.  You said his “explosiveness is gone” and that he’s not a game changer.  He certainly was a game changer in the divisional playoff game vs Baltimore..... 6 sacks in the last 4 playoff games.  The fact that he’s “just a guy” in your mind is where I disagree.  He isn’t that.  
 

and mcdermott and Beane seem to disagree with you about Hyde as well.  

We shall see how it plays out, I don’t particularly care, just win baby.

Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, NewEra said:

 

No, I saw that part too.  I just don’t see any sense at all in cutting Jerry at this point.  You said he’s just a guy.  You said his “explosiveness is gone” and that he’s not a game changer.  He certainly was a game changer in the divisional playoff game vs Baltimore..... 6 sacks in the last 4 playoff games.  The fact that he’s “just a guy” in your mind is where I disagree.  He isn’t that.  
 

and mcdermott and Beane seem to disagree with you about Hyde as well.  
 

Edit:  Matt Judon?  That’s really the DE you want?  A guy that’s never played 4-3 DE?   There are several solid pass rushers available.....why judon over Hendrickson, Lawson?  They’ll be about the same price? 

Judon is a physical monster and can/will play against the run, plus he can dominate the pass rush.  I think he’s a huge add.   I want some NASTY on the D line, he’s a bad ass on the field. 
 

I see they chose to extend Hyde, which is great, happy to have him back, I’m sure it was to lower his cap number this year, which is awesome.  He’s a helluva a player, and a leader, glad we have the backend of the D locked in.  I’d bet it’s a situation where he is virtually no dead cap to cut him later, so they can work on developing the late round guys like McD likes to do.   Good move for the short term keeping him and Poyer 

Link to post
Share on other sites
14 minutes ago, DCofNC said:

Judon is a physical monster and can/will play against the run, plus he can dominate the pass rush.  I think he’s a huge add.   I want some NASTY on the D line, he’s a bad ass on the field. 
 

I see they chose to extend Hyde, which is great, happy to have him back, I’m sure it was to lower his cap number this year, which is awesome.  He’s a helluva a player, and a leader, glad we have the backend of the D locked in.  I’d bet it’s a situation where he is virtually no dead cap to cut him later, so they can work on developing the late round guys like McD likes to do.   Good move for the short term keeping him and Poyer 

Judon is a beast but I don’t see him as a guy that we’ll spend on. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, BarleyNY said:

Correct.  $750k last season, $7.6M this season.  His salary is fully guaranteed this season and $2.5M of it is guaranteed in 2022.  He’d have a $5.1M dead cap in 2022 if released after this season.  If he chooses to retire for personal reasons we obviously would not have to pay the guaranteed salary, but I do not expect that.  If anything it would be an Eric Wood situation where he claims his body can’t handle it anymore and, thus, he’d get to collect his remaining guaranteed money. 

 

I got a feeling and have said it before there could be a chance he retires.

If he does there could be a "compromise" deal concerning the bonuses.

Link to post
Share on other sites
17 minutes ago, Aussie Joe said:


Kick the tyres? 😐

Highly and I mean I highly doubt Incognito would ever be allowed back in Buffalo after all the Shenanigans he got into back in 17 and also the report coming out how The Pegulas got extra security in case Incognito ever came back. Also didn’t he admit he was doing drugs during his last year here?

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, BillsCuse said:

I don't think it would be the same situation as Eric Wood.  They found a career ending injury with him, so it would be a bad look going after this money.  If Star decided to retire for his own reasons, then thats his own choice and shouldn't get it.

Tough to prove if he says it’s physical. Players his age have wear and tear and if it’s pain or headache related there’s not much you can disprove.  When Wood retired he started talking about retiring and set up a press conference.  Then he cut the PC short and changed his tune.  That was due to perception of why he had to spot playing and the related money.  If the player plays the game right then he’s going to keep his signing bonus and get his future guaranteed money. 

19 minutes ago, ColoradoBills said:

 

I got a feeling and have said it before there could be a chance he retires.

If he does there could be a "compromise" deal concerning the bonuses.

Possibly but I’m sure his agent will want him to get every cent possible. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
16 hours ago, BuffaloBills1998 said:

Highly and I mean I highly doubt Incognito would ever be allowed back in Buffalo after all the Shenanigans he got into back in 17 and also the report coming out how The Pegulas got extra security in case Incognito ever came back. Also didn’t he admit he was doing drugs during his last year here?

They got extra security? Crazy, never heard that one.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
×
×
  • Create New...