The January 6th Commission To Investigate The Insurrection

Tiberius

After all the court cases in front of judges appointed by Trump and other republicans, none found credible evidence of a stolen election. His closest advisors told him he lost. Any rational, sane, patriotic President would stop there and concede but his fragile psyche cannot accept defeat.  He alone decided to go ahead with Jan 6th, breaking the sacred American tradition of a peaceful transition of power. While it is not a story some want to believe, those are facts. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

5 minutes ago, Andy1 said:

After all the court cases in front of judges appointed by Trump and other republicans, none found credible evidence of a stolen election. His closest advisors told him he lost. Any rational, sane, patriotic President would stop there and concede but his fragile psyche cannot accept defeat.  He alone decided to go ahead with Jan 6th, breaking the sacred American tradition of a peaceful transition of power. While it is not a story some want to believe, those are facts. 

The evidence is piling up for a whole lot of criminal activity.  I dont know if they'll be able to prove things like seditious conspiracy, but if Trump is barred from office and doing 8-15 for wire fraud...Well Ron DeSantis will thank congressional democrats for the nomination. 

Just now, Coffeesforclosers said:

The evidence is piling up for a whole lot of criminal activity.  I dont know if they'll be able to prove things like seditious conspiracy, but if Trump is barred from office and doing 8-15 for wire fraud...Well Ron DeSantis will thank congressional democrats for the nomination. 

I sure as hell would love to vote for Desantis instead of Trump.  All day, every day 110%.  I still think this whole thing is BS.  The DOJ is doing their job, the FBI is doing their job.  Congress should do their job and knock this trash off.

• Like (+1) 1

10 minutes ago, Demongyz said:

I sure as hell would love to vote for Desantis instead of Trump.  All day, every day 110%.  I still think this whole thing is BS.  The DOJ is doing their job, the FBI is doing their job.  Congress should do their job and knock this trash off.

If Congress isn't providing checks and balances to the other branches, then it's not doing its job under the constitution. The executive and judicial have WAAAAAYYYY too much power because congress can't solve problems or get ***** done.  So I'm ok with Congress flexing a bit.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

2 minutes ago, Coffeesforclosers said:

If Congress isn't providing checks and balances to the other branches, then it's not doing its job under the constitution. The executive and judicial have WAAAAAYYYY too much power because congress can't solve problems or get ***** done.  So I'm ok with Congress flexing a bit.

You don't think the Dem run exec can handle railroading the Dem's enemies without the Dem run House or Senate to help?

• Like (+1) 1

20 minutes ago, Demongyz said:

You don't think the Dem run exec can handle railroading the Dem's enemies without the Dem run House or Senate to help?

At this point, I don't think the Dems could handle solving a 100 piece puzzle. 

• Like (+1) 2
  • Haha (+1) 2

24 minutes ago, Demongyz said:

I don't think anybody's getting railroaded, and I don't give a ***** if a "Dem" or a "Rep" (or whatever the cool kid words for our political parties are) scores the points.  Somebody has to stand up in Congress and stand up for Congress as an institution.  Otherwise we're down to 2 branches of government, each of them thinking they can basically rule by decree.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

1 minute ago, Coffeesforclosers said:

I don't think anybody's getting railroaded, and I don't give a ***** if a "Dem" or a "Rep" (or whatever the cool kid words for our political parties are) scores the points.  Somebody has to stand up in Congress and stand up for Congress as an institution.  Otherwise we're down to 2 branches of government, each of them thinking they can basically rule by decree.

I don’t want to get into a back and forth here….but Congress has two really important jobs to do: author legislation and allocate funds to carry it out.  Unfortunately, they’ve decided instead to spend almost all of their time these days being the police department for the other two coequal branches. It’s one of the main reasons we have the structural problems we do. If Congress would get together and do their job there’d be a whole lot less policing required. (And I’m pointing the finger at both parties here!)

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 2
  • Dislike 1

13 minutes ago, Coffeesforclosers said:

Great!

Let's start looking at the 2020 riots, Hunter Biden, the borders, drugs, etc.

Why is it we only look at right wingers?

This whole thing is a joke.  It's embarrassing to say the least.  Our country has been torn apart by all these idiots in office and we just compound the problem. 

How about this, railroad Trump and conservatives and white guys and all that.  Then when the Republican's take office in a few months, perhaps we can fix the problems and skip all the bull####.  Please!!!  Republican's when you take office stop this ***** and fix the ***** problems!!! PLEASE!

• Dislike 1

1 hour ago, Doc said:

You mean like the 2016 election?

Not like 2016 at all and you know it. The Trump campaign met with Russians 140+ times; Manafort exchanged campaign data and Roger coordinate with Wikileaks on the stolen DNC data dump - all to benefit Conald and his keeper, Vlad.

51 minutes ago, SoCal Deek said:

I don’t want to get into a back and forth here….but Congress has two really important jobs to do: author legislation and allocate funds to carry it out.  Unfortunately, they’ve decided instead to spend almost all of their time these days being the police department for the other two coequal branches. It’s one of the main reasons we have the structural problems we do. If Congress would get together and do their job there’d be a whole lot less policing required. (And I’m pointing the finger at both parties here!)

The main reason Congress doesn't work is because there is a significant political movement to ensure that it does not work and those that oppose this movement are wholly incompetent.

Congress doesn't really *do* anything because doing anything meaningful would require satisfying the filibuster in the Senate. Since we have a two-party system, doing something bipartisan is bad and therefore, anything proposed by one party will generally be opposed by the other, regardless of the merits. One of the many exceptions to the filibuster is the reconciliation rule, which allows a majority threshold for bills that are only about money.

This works because McConnell does not care about anything except power and the transfer of wealth to corporations and the donor class. He can accomplish his entire agenda through reconciliation and the party is fine with that. The Dems want to do things that they believe will make things better for people (give them healthcare, prevent businesses from taking advantage of them, etc). They can't do these things because they'll never have enough votes to beat the filibuster, so they torture the hell out of the language of the bills to try to make them qualify for reconciliation. And sometimes even that doesn't work.

This is how you end up with a Congress that really doesn't do much legislating, which means a lot of the responsibility is thrown to the judicial system. This is the other part of the plan, and it's why McConnell blocked as many Obama judges as he could so there were a ton of vacancies for Trump to fill in when he won. It's also dramatically heated up any SCOTUS appointments because now much of our governance has to run through SCOTUS due to the complete dysfunction of Congress. And despite Chevron deference originally being a Reagan-era conservative thing, the current plan of having SCOTUS water it down or eliminate it means that even Executive Agencies will not have the power to carry out their mandate. That is, of course, exactly McConnell's plan.

The Dems are too scared, lazy, or incompetent to do anything to fix this.

So in the meantime, we have plenty of time for hearings and naming post offices.

Edited by ChiGoose
  • Haha (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, ChiGoose said:

The main reason Congress doesn't work is because there is a significant political movement to ensure that it does not work and those that oppose this movement are wholly incompetent.

Congress doesn't really *do* anything because doing anything meaningful would require satisfying the filibuster in the Senate. Since we have a two-party system, doing something bipartisan is bad and therefore, anything proposed by one party will generally be opposed by the other, regardless of the merits. One of the many exceptions to the filibuster is the reconciliation rule, which allows a majority threshold for bills that are only about money.

This works because McConnell does not care about anything except power and the transfer of wealth to corporations and the donor class. He can accomplish his entire agenda through reconciliation and the party is fine with that. The Dems want to do things that they believe will make things better for people (give them healthcare, prevent businesses from taking advantage of them, etc). They can't do these things because they'll never have enough votes to beat the filibuster, so they torture the hell out of the language of the bills to try to make them qualify for reconciliation. And sometimes even that doesn't work.

This is how you end up with a Congress that really doesn't do much legislating, which means a lot of the responsibility is thrown to the judicial system. This is the other part of the plan, and it's why McConnell blocked as many Obama judges as he could so there were a ton of vacancies for Trump to fill in when he won. It's also dramatically heated up any SCOTUS appointments because now much of our governance has to run through SCOTUS due to the complete dysfunction of Congress. That is, of course, exactly McConnell's plan.

So in the meantime, we have plenty of time for hearings and naming post offices.

You have got to be kidding me. Your partisan colors are turning deeper blue every day. This is not the fault of a single person or party. 

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 1
  • Dislike 1

6 minutes ago, ChiGoose said:

This is how you end up with a Congress that really doesn't do much legislating, which means a lot of the responsibility is thrown to the judicial system. This is the other part of the plan, and it's why McConnell blocked as many Obama judges as he could so there were a ton of vacancies for Trump to fill in when he won. It's also dramatically heated up any SCOTUS appointments because now much of our governance has to run through SCOTUS due to the complete dysfunction of Congress. And despite Chevron deference originally being a Reagan-era conservative thing, the current plan of having SCOTUS water it down or eliminate it means that even Executive Agencies will not have the power to carry out their mandate. That is, of course, exactly McConnell's plan.

Extensive verbiage from the guy who wanted to be above all the partisan rancor.

:lol:

• Like (+1) 1

So, after Barr split DOJ Trump got busy trying to get them to declare fraud and have the election flipped. Trump is such a POS I really hope he gets jail time, though I know elites don't get prosecuted too often 

Rosen told Trump that the Justice Department could not “flip a switch and change the election,” according to notes of the conversation cited by the Senate Judiciary Committee.

“I don’t expect you to do that,” Trump responded, according to the notes. “Just say the election was corrupt and leave the rest to me and the Republican congressmen.” The president urged Rosen to “just have a press conference.”

Rosen refused. “We don’t see that,” he told Trump. “We’re not going to have a press conference.”

https://www.washingtonpost.com/politics/2022/06/14/inside-explosive-oval-office-confrontation-three-days-before-jan-6/

From the post article 

“And we’re not the only ones,” Donoghue said he told Trump. “You should understand that your entire department leadership will resign. Every [assistant attorney general] will resign. ... Mr. President, these aren’t bureaucratic leftovers from another administration. You picked them. This is your leadership team. You sent every one of them to the Senate; you got them confirmed. What is that going to say about you, when we all walk out at the same time?”

“That’s right,” Donoghue said he responded. “You’re an environmental lawyer. How about you go back to your office, and we’ll call you when there’s an oil spill.”

ROGER KIMBALL: Show Trials, Then And Now.

Powerline’s Scott Johnson quoted a TV Guide reporter who described the viewership of the first January 6 House Committee’s prime-time television extravaganza as “decent.”

In context, “decent” means “dismal” since, as Johnson notes, “the networks graciously handed their prime-time slots over to the committee’s motley crew in unison, Soviet style.”

A show trial is a mock or make-believe trial in which the guilt of the party is predetermined.

The trial is just a form of theater.

Lenin called them “model trials.”

The aim was not to discover the truth—which was supposedly already known—but to stage a propaganda exhibition.

The Soviet Union specialized in the genre as did Communist China, Nazi Germany, and other totalitarian countries.

As the White Queen in Alice in Wonderland put it, it was always “Sentence first—verdict afterwards.”

If you turned on the television on June 9 and you weren’t tuned in to Fox News you were watching—or “watching”—a couple hours of Bennie Thompson and Liz Cheney conducting a show trial.

They vilified Donald Trump while airing a few misleadingly edited clips from the events of that day.

As I have noted elsewhere, the Democrats went all out on this show.

They hired a former ABC consultant to make sure the production values were high.

It was only the substance that was clumsy, amateurish, unconvincing.

“The issue is never the issue.”

That’s what Democratic demigod and house philosopher Saul Alinsky taught.

If nothing else, the first episode of the January 6th show confirms that the actors have absorbed that lesson.

The announced issue was the protest at the Capitol on Jan. 6, 2021.

But the real issue was the person of Donald Trump and the populist movement he embodies.

That was the half-articulated obbligato that underlay the entire proceeding.

As The Wall Street Journal put it, the House Committee “made clear in its first hearing that its main goal is showing Donald Trump was to blame for the attack on the Capitol, raising the question of what legal or political consequences the former president might face at the end of the probe.”

They made it clear, but they did not really acknowledge it.

Why? Because the ultimate legitimacy of the Committee requires that it be seen as something other than what it in fact was: a nakedly partisan witch hunt.

The Democrats face several problems in putting over this blind.

For one thing, most of the American people do not really care about a brief protest in Washington, D.C., a year and a half ago.

Maybe the carefully curated clips broadcast by the Commission are dramatic.

But many commentators instantly pointed out the tendentious—i.e., untruthful—editing, as when Trump’s direction that protesters make their way “peacefully and patriotically” to the Capitol was clipped to omit the word “peacefully.”

https://www.theepochtimes.com/show-trials-then-and-now_4528243.html

Pretty easy case. Trump raised $250 million for a fund that didn't exist, lol 

48 minutes ago, BillStime said:

BUT the cult told us there were no tours…

Lock that scumbag up!! 

• Like (+1) 2
  • Haha (+1) 1