Re-sign or “Wave Good-bye” series: Player 5 - Jon Feliciano

YoloinOhio

OG Jon Feliciano   

234 members have voted

1. 1. Re-sign or Wave Good-bye?

• Offer above market value, whatever it takes to keep him
    • Offer market value deal, but if he gets more elsewhere let him walk
    • Make an offer, but that market value is too pricey for his value to the team
    • Don’t make an offer, thanks for the memories

12 hours ago, jwhit34 said:

This probably will not be a very popular opinion...

I see a lot of similarities in fans' feelings about Feliciano and Jordan Phillips. There are many that overvalue both of them because they are very demonstrative on the field, have a fiery attitude. I think that blinds some when it comes to evaluating their performance. 

Excluding 2019, Phillips has had a journeyman's career: 5 years, 69 games, 7.5 sacks, 15 TFL, 2 FFs. 

Feliciano was a backup for the 4 years he was with the Raiders, never taking more than 22% of the snaps in a season. Like Phillips, he had a career season in '19 and also like Phillips, he was hampered by injury in '20 and only played in 9 regular season games (ironically same # as Phillips). 

Phillips got rewarded for his one good season with a 3 year, $30 million contract. Beane was wise to let him walk. 

Feliciano? He is a nice player, but has limitations. As several people posted, maybe his biggest attribute is his versatility. In a normal year, someone would overpay him in free agency like the Cardinals did for Phillips. The Bills may luck out between teams being cap challenged and Feliciano possibly taking a hometown discount. But Beane will not and will be smart not to overpay. 

Is Feliciano 20%, 40% better than Cody Ford? Let's say he's 30% better, Ford has a cap # of about $2 million. That makes Feliciano worth about $2.6 million comparatively if he starts over Ford (I know Ford seems slotted at LG but...). If Feliciano is going to get at least $6 million, he's not 3x better I know that's cold, but that's the business. 

I agree with this concept of youth is cheaper but let’s remember this team signed Spain for $5million, who is a guy they cut mid season. So that gives you a baseline value. So I can easily say Mongo is better than Spain, and was very competent at center, which is a must have backup role, and is probably valued at 6-6,5  if he takes that for 3 years with a Beane friendly out clause he comes back. This happens along with a Morse restructure. Heck he may even be out starting bridge center is a year or two. He is a slightly above average guard but with a with a high team component but the biggest factor is they need 1 more year to figure out what they have in Ford. 

9 hours ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

At what price?  $5M? $6M $8.3M?

And then who do we let walk or cut to free up the $$?  Brown?  McKenzie?  Williams?

Fair take.  I kind of wonder at the signing of Winters so promptly after Feliciano's injury if so but you may be right.

There is always a limit of what to pay for a given performance level, JF is “league wide” likely above average as a guard, and center, yes good enough can be the enemy of great, I don’t begin to have enough knowledge on actually available / viable replacements currently around the league / draft, that’s why Beane makes the big bucks. If Beane finds someone better at any position for the right money I for one can live with that, 😁

Go Bills!!!

Good, not elite. Would pay him good money but not elite money. $6.5M-$7M in my mind is congruent with his value and services to the team. Some folks may say he is not elite, which is true.. but we can’t pay an entire roster full of players elite money anyhow.. He’s a solid piece on that OL, should be brought back as Darryl Williams should be as well. Similar situation. Both should be paid good money, not elite money. Allen also has a comfort level in Feliciano. Keep Allen happy, bring Feliciano back. Maybe move on from Morse, maybe not. We could use an elite player on that line though for sure. Not sure how that’ll work though because we seem married to Ford.

I would really like to have Feliciano re-signed, despite getting abused in the AFC Championship, he has a great attitude, and has versatility.

I would not be upset if we parted ways with Morse and moved Feliciano to Center.

That being said the Bills should not have to overpay for him, make him a good solid fair offer, and see what he says.

18 hours ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

You sure 'bout that?  I love me some Mongo.  But he shows up in whiffed blocks in number of the blown-up run plays in the cover-1 cutup and so far I don't see them cherry-picking.

Be that as it may - if we want to be a top-10 offense, maybe we might need guards who are a cut above "solid or better"?  This could be a "Good is the Enemy of Great" thing.

Agree we need better guards.  I want to move Feliciano to center using some of the money saved by letting Morse go.  

Recall when Morse was declared healthy from concussion.  McD opted to keep Feliciano at center another week.  We ran better with Feliciano at center.  Upgrading guard is still a must if we want to run better, but keep a quality guy like Feliciano if you get an affordable deal.  He is a Buffalo Bill and will play hard for this team.