2020 Bills had the most productive WR Corp in the NFL since the 1995 Falcons

Big Turk

That is pretty crazy...Bills WR corp was the most productive in the NFL the past 25 years since the 1995 Falcons had 315 catches running the Run 'N Shoot under June Jones and featured 3 1,000 yard receivers in Eric Metcalf(yes that Metcalf, that crushed us in the 1989 playoff game with a KO return for a TD against the Browns), Terrence Mathis and Bert Emmanuel and Jeff George as QB.  Metcalf was signed by ATL that year and converted into a WR from his normal 3rd down RB/pass catching back role with the Browns and had 104 catches on the season, by far his most productive in the NFL, and the only season with more than 63 receptions.

Ironically a lot of what the Bills run on offense with the option routes tie back to those Run 'N Shoot concepts which were completely revolutionary back then.

https://subscribe.buffalonews.com/e/limit-reached-bn?returnURL=https://buffalonews.com/sports/bills/offense-review-bills-receiving-corps-put-up-top-nfl-season-in-25-years/article_dbc3d3c6-627b-11eb-934d-5fae90b2e3b0.html

Edited by Big Turk
  • Like (+1) 5
  • Thank you (+1) 5

Huh? I'm surprised there are no replies to this potentially huge and fascinating topic.

@Big Turk: thanks out to you, and I hate to impose...

But perhaps you could give us a bit more on this (I can't get past subscriber wall, and I'm sure others are in same boat).

To narrow it down: how is "productivity" defined in the article? Also, maybe a bit more re how Bills receivers met/exceeded 95 Falcons.

I'm with you brother! But could use some more justification re the assertion.

6 hours ago, Big Turk said:

That is pretty crazy...Bills WR corp was the most productive in the NFL the past 25 years since the 1995 Falcons had 315 catches running the Run 'N Shoot under June Jones and featured 3 1,000 yard receivers in Eric Metcalf(yes that Metcalf, that crushed us in the 1989 playoff game with a KO return for a TD against the Browns), Terrence Mathis and Bert Emmanuel and Jeff George as QB.  Metcalf was signed by ATL that year and converted into a WR from his normal 3rd down RB/pass catching back role with the Browns and had 104 catches on the season, by far his most productive in the NFL, and the only season with more than 63 receptions.

Ironically a lot of what the Bills run on offense with the option routes tie back to those Run 'N Shoot concepts which were completely revolutionary back then.

https://subscribe.buffalonews.com/e/limit-reached-bn?returnURL=https://buffalonews.com/sports/bills/offense-review-bills-receiving-corps-put-up-top-nfl-season-in-25-years/article_dbc3d3c6-627b-11eb-934d-5fae90b2e3b0.html

Turk do you think this fact tells a story of how bad our HB's/TE's really are?  I mean can you imagine if we had solid talent in either of those 2 positions??

• Thank you (+1) 1

23 minutes ago, Dukestreetking said:

Huh? I'm surprised there are no replies to this potentially huge and fascinating topic.

@Big Turk: thanks out to you, and I hate to impose...

But perhaps you could give us a bit more on this (I can't get past subscriber wall, and I'm sure others are in same boat).

To narrow it down: how is "productivity" defined in the article? Also, maybe a bit more re how Bills receivers met/exceeded 95 Falcons.

I'm with you brother! But could use some more justification re the assertion.

Try opening the link in an incognito window(if you use chrome) and it should let you view it.  

It is going by number of receptions. Bills WRs had 312 this year.

Also talked about how remarkable a turnaround it has been considering the Bills only had 115 WR receptions in 2017 which was tied for the worst total in the NFL over the past 12 years, and in 2018 they ranked 31st with 149 WR receptions.

It also said the Bills total catches for WRs is the 6th most in NFL history, next to the 1990, 1991 and 1992 Houston Oilers and the 1994 and 1995 Atlanta Falcons, which were all proponents of the Run 'N Shoot offense. 

Bills operated out of the spread an NFL most 87.5% of the time this year.  The Bengals were the only other team over 80% at 83%.  

The Bills ran 11 personnel(1 RB, 1 TE, 3 WR) on 72.8% of their plays and 10 personnel(1 RB, 0 TE, 4 WR) on 13.3%.  They ran 20 personnel(2 RB, 0 TE, 3 WR) on 7.8%.  

The NFL averages for these were: 59.5%, 2.1% and 0.7%.

The Bills also were the most aggressive passing team on 1st down thru the first 3 quarters of the game, throwing on 65% of their plays.  KC was 2nd at 60%.

However, there is room for improvement:

Bills ranked 31st in TE Completions with only 46.

Bills ranked 25th in RB Completions with only 68.

NFL averages for those were 76(TE) and 79(RB).

Bills use of 2 TE sets(12 personnel) was way down as well, only using it 7.8% of plays down from 20.4% last year and well under the NFL average of 20%.

3 minutes ago, PrimeTime101 said:

Turk do you think this fact tells a story of how bad our HB's/TE's really are?  I mean can you imagine if we had solid talent in either of those 2 positions??

I think it is more of a reflection that Allen likes attacking deep first, then intermediate and then to the checkdowns.  KC took advantage of his impatience in the AFC Championship game.  Players were open underneath and he wanted to keep pushing it downfield to the WRs.

Edited by Big Turk
  • Like (+1) 2
  • Awesome! (+1) 3

17 minutes ago, Big Turk said:

Try opening the link in an incognito window(if you use chrome) and it should let you view it.  

It is going by number of receptions. Bills WRs had 312 this year.

Also talked about how remarkable a turnaround it has been considering the Bills only had 115 WR receptions in 2017 which was tied for the worst total in the NFL over the past 12 years, and in 2018 they ranked 31st with 149 WR receptions.

It also said the Bills total catches for WRs is the 6th most in NFL history, next to the 1990, 1991 and 1992 Houston Oilers and the 1994 and 1995 Atlanta Falcons, which were all proponents of the Run 'N Shoot offense. 

Bills operated out of the spread an NFL most 87.5% of the time this year.  The Bengals were the only other team over 80% at 83%.  

The Bills ran 11 personnel(1 RB, 1 TE, 3 WR) on 72.8% of their plays and 10 personnel(1 RB, 0 TE, 4 WR) on 13.3%.  They ran 20 personnel(2 RB, 0 TE, 3 WR) on 7.8%.  

The NFL averages for these were: 59.5%, 2.1% and 0.7%.

The Bills also were the most aggressive passing team on 1st down thru the first 3 quarters of the game, throwing on 65% of their plays.  KC was 2nd at 60%.

However, there is room for improvement:

Bills ranked 31st in TE Completions with only 46.

Bills ranked 25th in RB Completions with only 68.

NFL averages for those were 76(TE) and 79(RB).

Bills use of 2 TE sets(12 personnel) was way down as well, only using it 7.8% of plays down from 20.4% last year and well under the NFL average of 20%.

I think it is more of a reflection that Allen likes attacking deep first, then intermediate and then to the checkdowns.  KC took advantage of his impatience in the AFC Championship game.  Players were open underneath and he wanted to keep pushing it downfield to the WRs.

oh I whole heartedly disagree with you here. Dropped passes my our TE's and RB's so often.. the QB stops trusting them. Was Josh Pushing much of this game? yes.. but I think most of the time he didn't have a choice.. + no one was getting open

• Thank you (+1) 1

28 minutes ago, Big Turk said:

Great info! Wow, blown away. I can't (or can I??) believe '20 Bills were 6th ranked in NFL history for WR catches.

As you say, this reflects the profound offensive changes in just 2+ yrs (i.e, Big Blue gettin' 'er done).

And, btw, thanks for suggestion to pull up article. I actually use firefox on my android phone for variety of security reasons, but still could not read via Incognito. Alas, BNews in outsmarting my dumb ass.

7 hours ago, Big Turk said:

1 hour ago, Big Turk said:

I tried that without the front part and still have issue from work. 

Usually I can save the page and open it in another browser like Seamonkey which has edit page capability but still cannot so this page is coded differently.

18 minutes ago, PrimeTime101 said:

yea but not where we have to run it 20-30 times again, but just enough where the threat is there

if the results are 20-30 rushing and ~ 30 passing and win after win. 

it’s called balance. jmo

I’ve said it many times that you have to be able to do it.  Not necessarily always use it 

59 minutes ago, Warcodered said:

Well I mean we had one of most effective offenses in the League and we didn't run.

I hear ya, 

can you imagine what a juggernaut our Offense would be if we ran “effectively” on twenty percent “ish” of our snaps, hell, we could win it all if that were the case. Frankly I think the GM & HC sees this and will make that happen. 

Go Bills!!!

2 hours ago, BuffaninSarasota said:

Corp, corpse, or corps? ..... discuss

Definitely corps...

usually thought of as a group of people working together (and bonus play: it has both  singular and plural applications).

Unless you're Barack Obama, then for sure it's "corpse-man".

[Mods: I swear to God, not being political!! It's just an obscure joke that nobody will remember...but some folks of my professional tribe took note of, across many persuasions]

• Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, SlimShady'sSpaceForce said:

if the results are 20-30 rushing and ~ 30 passing and win after win. 

it’s called balance. jmo

I’ve said it many times that you have to be able to do it.  Not necessarily always use it 

Nobody is looking for balance where they run it and pass it equally. Running the ball is almost always a worse choice than passing it these days. However when teams are making it easy for you to run it and harder to pass it and you still can't run it that is where you get into issues...

They only need to be able to take advantage of the situations as they come up.