Daboll playcalling vs cheifs O play calling

dbfla10

It was obvious Daboll is not close to Reid/Bienemy in play calling. Bills didnt adjust and had 0 creativity. Didnt do anything to provide a spark. My belief is Daboll wasnt really that close to getting A HC job, and my best guess is hes still with the Bills in 2022, and Im not sold thats a good thing. Its one thing to lose a game, its another when the strength of the team (offense) looks absolutely terrible. Allen didnt help as he looked nervous/scared but I put this more on Daboll. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Dislike 1

This is our life for the next few months. Lucky us. One million ridiculous threads a day about how horrible the Bills are and how horrible the coaches are.

We got beat by a better team. That doesn't mean our coaches are bad or our players are bad. It just means we need to get better.

Play calling was fine. Execution was the issue. Perhaps preparedness was an issue, which is a coaching thing. Injuries to our skill positions was an issue. And yes, our coaches are not at the level of Andy Reid yet. Doesn't make them bad.

• Vomit 1

I think the Bills have a great coaching staff.  They did a fantastic job this season.  We were beaten by a better team yesterday.  All this said, I don't think that our offensive play calling yesterday was very good.  We needed more slants and screens to counter the Chiefs' blitz.  We threw into double coverage too often (that may have been the QB).  And other than the first TD after the muffed punt, our red zone play calling was not good.  I have less of a problem with our defensive play calling - I don't believe we would have stopped the Chiefs, no matter what we called.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Vomit 1

No its not the end of the world. But, yes it was disappointing to watch last night. Our O lacked creativity last night and did highlight the gap between our ability to scheme and KC. It was not all talent. KC has more talent but the plan they had was clearly better than ours. 

• Vomit 1

1 minute ago, msw2112 said:

I think the Bills have a great coaching staff.  They did a fantastic job this season.  We were beaten by a better team yesterday.  All this said, I don't think that our offensive play calling yesterday was very good.  We needed more slants and screens to counter the Chiefs' blitz.  We threw into double coverage too often (that may have been the QB).  And other than the first TD after the muffed punt, our red zone play calling was not good.  I have less of a problem with our defensive play calling - I don't believe we would have stopped the Chiefs, no matter what we called.

I think fans point to play calling when things don't work. To my eye the issue was execution. Blocking was a huge issue. The oline did not play well. It is hard to have a play work when you can't block.

Just now, ngbills said:

No its not the end of the world. But, yes it was disappointing to watch last night. Our O lacked creativity last night and did highlight the gap between our ability to scheme and KC. It was not all talent. KC has more talent but the plan they had was clearly better than ours. 

Being one dimensional really hamstrings the offense, including the ability to be creative. Creativity requires keeping the defense guessing. But that's hard to do when you only do one thing well.

That's why fixing the run game is item number 1 on the agenda this off-season.

27 minutes ago, dbfla10 said:

It was obvious Daboll is not close to Reid/Bienemy in play calling. Bills didnt adjust and had 0 creativity. Didnt do anything to provide a spark. My belief is Daboll wasnt really that close to getting A HC job, and my best guess is hes still with the Bills in 2022, and Im not sold thats a good thing. Its one thing to lose a game, its another when the strength of the team (offense) looks absolutely terrible. Allen didnt help as he looked nervous/scared but I put this more on Daboll. 

Bills scored 501 points in regular season...second best in NFL...team record....5th best point differential in league. 

Keep improving......

8 minutes ago, MJS said:

I think fans point to play calling when things don't work. To my eye the issue was execution. Blocking was a huge issue. The oline did not play well. It is hard to have a play work when you can't block.

Being one dimensional really hamstrings the offense, including the ability to be creative. Creativity requires keeping the defense guessing. But that's hard to do when you only do one thing well.

That's why fixing the run game is item number 1 on the agenda this off-season.

Nah.  Our passing game is what got us to the KC game last night and it completely disappeared, as it did in the 2 playoff games before last night!   That's why we lost.

It's not as good as it could be.  Needs work.

Diggs and Beasley are 2 great pieces to build on; we need another 2 or so to add.  A speed guy to replace Brown and a dynamic TE.  

I do agree that Singletary needs to be upgraded, but that shouldn't be hard to do, nor would I spend much in the way of assets to get his replacement.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Dislike 1

Daboll had a rough night and so did Frazier. The free runners at Josh all game was not helpful and why was there no crossers. At some point , you have to make adjustments in blocking schemes instead of asking your franchise QB to avoid constant pressure. Dabol didn't help his resume with this pedestrian game plan.

Chiefs were playing a lot of main coverage and were in the Bills face all night long.  They also were daring the refs to throws flags for defensive holding and illegal contact downfield all night long similar to what Seattle used to do in the Legion of Boom days.  So the answer to this is to not allow them to get their hands on the receivers off the line...this can be accomplished in a lot of ways:

1) Motion at the snap of the ball

2) Rub routes setting intentional picks for the defenders to have to try and navigate through

3) Stacked bunch formations that create issues with this due to receivers not being on the LOS

4) Receivers lined up in the backfield or pistol formation

etc...

We saw some of this in the 2nd half but almost none of it in the 1st half.  Why did it take so long to adjust to it? Why were there no rub routes being run? Why did we so often have guys just lined up normally allowing the Chiefs to easily do this?

They had a good gameplan to defend us but we didn't help ourselves by making it too easy for their gameplan to be effective.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

15 minutes ago, Nextmanup said:

Nah.  Our passing game is what got us to the KC game last night and it completely disappeared, as it did in the 2 playoff games before last night!   That's why we lost.

It's not as good as it could be.  Needs work.

Diggs and Beasley are 2 great pieces to build on; we need another 2 or so to add.  A speed guy to replace Brown and a dynamic TE.  

I do agree that Singletary needs to be upgraded, but that shouldn't be hard to do, nor would I spend much in the way of assets to get his replacement.

Bills had 5 touchdown drives total in 3 play off games. No we were not awful. But we are clearly not there yet. Higher expectations...

• Like (+1) 1

23 minutes ago, Eastport bills said:

Daboll had a rough night and so did Frazier. The free runners at Josh all game was not helpful and why was there no crossers. At some point , you have to make adjustments in blocking schemes instead of asking your franchise QB to avoid constant pressure. Dabol didn't help his resume with this pedestrian game plan.

Yeah, I was thinking that for both those guys.

1) the good news: they likely lowered their stock a bit for remaining or emergent HC jobs

2) the bad news: they lowered their stock with the fan base here for remaining

😏

I think the Chiefs did a great job disguising.  They had us audibling to blitz0 beaters then dropped into coverage; they had us audibling to coverage-beaters then blitzed.

I have to wonder with all the quiet stadiums this season, it seems we kept the same terminology and "hot" color and I wonder if there was some (legal) signal stealing going on.  It is an advantage of a bye week (and a meaningless week 17 game) that the coaching staff can go through film and systematically do stuff like this for the teams they're most likely to face.

Overall my feeling about the game was that the Chiefs were pumped up and ready for this.  They pulled out all the stops to beat us.

I've seen the Bills come out blazing at times this season - the Steelers game, the 2nd Patriots game, the Ravens game - we were amped up and out-physicalled them

We pulled out all the stops: the fake punt, going for it on 4th down, etc.  and I think most of us have been YEAH MCDERMOTT THAT'S HOW TO DO IT!

None of that this game.  They were punching us in the face on both sides of the line.  It seemed as though McD was relying upon his defense to stop KC and was shocked that they couldn't.

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, dbfla10 said:

Dude, your plays look much better when the opposing defense gives you 10-15 yards of cushion, and you have 4.25 speed, or 6'5" 270 pounds and nobody within 10 yards. 

Our defense never got another stop after the dropped Hill pass. 

I said it to a fault in the first half, the Bills needed to spread as far as possible, but in the end, that wouldn't have mattered, the WR's could not separate at all, and Allen was running for his life. 

Maybe the Bills could have kept all throws at the line of scrimmage or within 10 yards, and tried to get by on jet sweeps to McKenzie, and just tried to dink their way down the field, but that's only going to work for so long. 

Now, the playcall that got me angry was that 2nd-3 in the red zone. IFormation with Singletary that had zero chance of gaining a first down. That was idiotic and you could tell as soon as they lined up that play was going to get blown up. 

1 hour ago, msw2112 said:

I want to see the All-22 review, and see if WRs were open that Allen could have thrown to. From the TV and Bills fans who were at the game, it felt like nobody got open. 

Allen went deep to Diggs twice and guys were glued to him.