Key to beating the Ravens- beating the blitz

NewEra

The Ravens key will be to rattle Josh whether by pressure on him, sacks, QB hits, disrupting our receivers at the line or disguised defenses that aren't what they seem to be.  Since our offense revolves around Josh they'll want to rattle him.

We need to get out to an early big lead to neutralize the ravens run game.  ravens play a ton of man when they blitz so we should run concepts with bunch formations & crossing routes.

Same key for our D.  Get into Lamar's head.  Keep him contained when he runs & force him to beat us in the air.

This should be a good game.

7 minutes ago, PrimeTime101 said:

100% agree there's so much to it. good stuff Hapless. And I think your right.. maybe Brown was not 100%. Having Brown, Beasley and Diggs Brown not at 100% could have been in part what hurt us last game.

Nah, what hurt us last game was spending the entire first half in our own endzone on offense.  On the drive where we started from our own 15, we marched right downfield and scored a TD.

People want Daboll to run all sorts of trickery-dickery end around reverse jet sweep schuff and complain about the run calls while we have two all-pro defenders, Leonard and Buckner, in our backfield (and in Allen's face) on the 2 yard line.

I like Andre' Roberts and when he ran out that kickoff from the side if the field after the Colt's TD so that after penalty/missed face mask we started on the 6 yd line instead of the 25, I was PISSED.

• Like (+1) 3

9 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

Nah, what hurt us last game was spending the entire first half in our own endzone on offense.  On the drive where we started from our own 15, we marched right downfield and scored a TD.

People want Daboll to run all sorts of trickery-dickery end around reverse jet sweep schuff and complain about the run calls while we have two all-pro defenders, Leonard and Buckner, in our backfield (and in Allen's face) on the 2 yard line.

I like Andre' Roberts and when he ran out that kickoff from the side if the field after the Colt's TD so that after penalty/missed face mask we started on the 6 yd line instead of the 25, I was PISSED.

and yes yes YESSSS i was flipping over this.. Just trust the QB to throw the darn ball.. The first time fine.. the rest of the times we got to conservative and that running out of the end zone was stupid. WRONG time to do it.

on top of it I could not scream at the TV lol... had elders around me.

Edited by PrimeTime101

2 hours ago, NewEra said:

if he does that, we win imo.  He wasnt able to do that last year. he had 2 rushes for 9 yards and took 6 sacks.  I realize that our weapons are MUCH better this year.  After watching a video from Mark Schofield, i'm worried that the ravens will continuously bring pressure from Joshs' right and force him to scramble and buy time to his left.  While he has the ability to do just that, the degree of difficulty is higher and Campbell and Ngakoue will be coming from his left.  Just have to hope our boy blue is on his game!  I billieve, I'm just nervous.

It will be a challenge, but Josh has improved so much this year.  he handled the Steelers pass rush and blitzes so well, I believe that their constant blitzes will be exploited.

If this team is truly the new Bills and not the same old Bills, we will win this game.

Time will tell...

• Like (+1) 1

My concern is the Baltimore CBs. Peters and Humphries are extremely physical and handsy. They grab, push and pull WRs all the freaking time. They go by the mantra, " hey, they won't call it every play, right?"  Last game against the Colts the refs basically swallowed their whistles. They let them play. They let the O lines hold more than usual and allowed physical play in the secondaries. Actually made for an enjoyable game. If the refs let the DBs get physical and disrupt routes while Josh is trying to make things happen it could be a long day for the offense. Hope they call it both ways if that's the case. 

I think I also read that we're something like 2nd in the league in % of plays with 4+ WRs, while Baltimore is one of the weakest defenses against that lineup.

So we have a Bills offense that is elite against the blitz and runs a ton of 4 WR sets, against a defense that blitzes a ton and is vulnerable to being spread out.  Could be a bloodbath if we score early and Jackson is forced to pass his way out of a hole.

But no, all everyone can talk about is how their rushing attack matches against our defense.

My question is how they play their CB’s against us. 

I believe I heard on a podcast they don’t usually have their guys follow receivers. But I also wonder who plays in the slot against Beasley. Peter’s and Smith are mostly outside corners. So does Humphrey play the slot? If he does, I believe Diggs will have a day against Peters or Smith. Peter’s ultra-aggressive nature tends to overplay against a guy like Diggs. 

If it’s not Humphrey in the slot, I think Beasley will be able to get open against whoever they play in the slot

I also like the matchup of Davis versus Arnette. Davis has basically proven himself to be a starter in the last quarter of the season. Allen has gained trust in him, which he’s earned, and proved it to all of us last week with those toe drag catches. 

That’s my crux. If Humphrey covers Diggs, I believe he can limit Diggs. But that will leave Beasley against either Peters or Smith in the slot and I don’t believe they have the agility to keep up with Diggs route running.