A Few Thoughts About the Dolphins Game, in no particular order

Virgil

3 hours ago, Jerry Jabber said:

That, along with the cheap shot to Diggs. Plus, these guys are backups and we’re looking for some action as they’ve been riding the bench for most of the season. 

I will add the (failed) 2 point conversion attempt down 30 with no chance of winning.  I believe that move kept the foot on the accelerator.

• Like (+1) 3

3 hours ago, Virgil said:

I could be wrong, but I think there was still 5 minutes left in the game.  I didn’t think Flores did anything wrong.  We could have take knees on 4 straight drives and won the game.  

After being on the other side of the disrespectful Pats for 20 years, I’m probably sensitive to it. 

Once you are up by 3+ scores with less than 7 minutes left, run it out 

They called timeouts with 8 minutes left to get the ball back and they called another one before the 2 minute warning trying to get the ball back again.  You wanna do that then you need to defend the field. No sympathy.  It's not like they were running the ball trying to grind out the game either.  Tua threw the ball 20 times in the 4th quarter. Calling off the dogs is a mutual deal.  They didn't so we didn't.

• Like (+1) 7

For this off season at least.....that's the next 7 months.....for the first time maybe EVER all the other teams in our division are looking at the QB situations they have and are comparing it to ours and have to feel so....deflated.  

It may be for only this off season.  Maybe Fields or whoever the Jets pick to ruin turns out good.  Maybe Tua makes a leap.  Maybe the Patriots will try and get Jimmy G or Stafford (not happening).....I wish them well on their search.  But not really.    

Whatever.  For the immediate future those 3 teams are looking at us the way we looked at New England for almost 20 years.   

And this is freaking awesome.  Go Bills!

Edited by Big Blitz
  • Like (+1) 2

8 minutes ago, That's No Moon said:

They called timeouts with 8 minutes left to get the ball back and they called another one before the 2 minute warning trying to get the ball back again.  You wanna do that then you need to defend the field. No sympathy.  It's not like they were running the ball trying to grind out the game either.  Tua threw the ball 20 times in the 4th quarter. Calling off the dogs is a mutual deal.  They didn't so we didn't.

Completely agree. 8 minutes left down 29 calling timeouts is a d*ck move, as much as if not more so than throwing deep at that point. He told the Bills he thought it was still a competitive ball game. They in turn proved to him that it wasn't. 

No sympathy. I have been a big Flores fan through most of his first two years but I have soured somewhat the last few weeks.

• Like (+1) 4
  • Haha (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

6 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

Completely agree. 8 minutes left down 29 calling timeouts is a d*ck move, as much as if not more so than throwing deep at that point. He told the Bills he thought it was still a competitive ball game. They in turn proved to him that it wasn't. 

No sympathy. I have been a big Flores fan through most of his first two years but I have soured somewhat the last few weeks.

He missed the playoffs by getting trounced by backups AND jerked his rookie QB around in the process.  Coach of the Year tho, amirite? Media clowns....

• Like (+1) 2

3 hours ago, Virgil said:

I could be wrong, but I think there was still 5 minutes left in the game.  I didn’t think Flores did anything wrong.  We could have take knees on 4 straight drives and won the game.  

After being on the other side of the disrespectful Pats for 20 years, I’m probably sensitive to it. 

I totally disagree Virgil. I hate and I mean hate Coaches calling timeouts just to show they have used them when games are dead. It is disrespectful to players who put their bodies on the line every play to create more plays in a blowout football game for absolutely no reason. Look at Vic Fangio a couple of weeks ago. The Broncos walked off the field with 3 unused second half time outs. Because the game was dead. There was no point calling timeouts. That is the way you are supposed to do it. I was as fired up by Flores calling those time outs as I have been basically by anything all season. He deserved what came next. D*ck move.

5 minutes ago, That's No Moon said:

He missed the playoffs by getting trounced by backups AND jerked his rookie QB around in the process.  Coach of the Year tho, amirite? Media clowns....

He has done a really good job to rebuild Miami into a 10 win team. But his mishandling of Tua (I challenge anyone to watch that kid play today and tell me his confidence isn't shaken by his mishandling) and then his pathetic 4th quarter behaviour today deserve an avalanche of criticism. 

Edited by GunnerBill
  • Like (+1) 6

1 minute ago, That's No Moon said:

He was looking for a bench to sit on but there was nobody else to come in.

If it was year 4 for Flores and he hadn't made the postseason and his job was on the line I kind of get it. But if Miami had gone 9-7 this year with Tua starting the last 8 games or whatever everyone would still have said "good job Brian Flores." This year was a freebie. It was about improving and trying to develop your QB. In that context his decisions make no sense to me.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

If it was year 4 for Flores and he hadn't made the postseason and his job was on the line I kind of get it. But if Miami had gone 9-7 this year with Tua starting the last 8 games or whatever everyone would still have said "good job Brian Flores." This year was a freebie. It was about improving and trying to develop your QB. In that context his decisions make no sense to me.

exactly. when you bench Fitz the first time you are saying it's about the future but then he got himself stuck on the fence.  The Bills sort of did that the year they broke the drought.  It was about the future when they put Peterman in but he was a dumpster fire and then got hurt so they had to put Tyrod back in and they won more than they thought they would and got in the playoffs.  I don't think ANYONE thought Peterman was the actual future thought so jerking him around didn't really matter.

Fitz would have been in this game before halftime today which begs the question, if that's what you are gonna do why didn't he just start?

• Like (+1) 1

9 minutes ago, That's No Moon said:

exactly. when you bench Fitz the first time you are saying it's about the future but then he got himself stuck on the fence.  The Bills sort of did that the year they broke the drought.  It was about the future when they put Peterman in but he was a dumpster fire and then got hurt so they had to put Tyrod back in and they won more than they thought they would and got in the playoffs.  I don't think ANYONE thought Peterman was the actual future thought so jerking him around didn't really matter.

Fitz would have been in this game before halftime today which begs the question, if that's what you are gonna do why didn't he just start?

So I supported them going to Tua originally when they did. It was the right move. But when you do that you have to commit to it... and if it costs you the playoffs so be it... think Coughlin benching Warner and going to Eli when the Giants were over .500 and in a playoff race. Eli was flat out awful in some of those games but Coughlin never wavered. That is how you are supposed to do it.

• Like (+1) 1

17 minutes ago, That's No Moon said:

I'd say Peterman was unique or maybe not he wasn't a high draft pick but you just can't have a bunch of the kind of games he produces it's just humiliating. Tua might of taken some more losses but just not even remotely on that level.

Some head coaches have more sense than posters otherwise P5t5rman would never have been pulled in Allen's first year and Fitzpatrick would never have replaced starter when he was with Bills.  You can lose the locker room leaving in an incompetent, shell shocked or not ready QB.

1 hour ago, GunnerBill said:

To be fair, the Fins only chance at a postseason was to somehow comeback from 29 points.  You're taught in life to fight to the finish no matter how bleak it seems.  Having said that, I have no problem with that play call to Davis.  It's the NFL.  There shouldn't be mercy on grown men being paid to play a game.  If your starting defense can't stop the opposing teams backup offense you deserve to be pummeled.  I even defended the Pats in 2007 when they were running up the score on teams.

Just now, Doc Brown said:

To be fair, the Fins only chance at a postseason was to somehow comeback from 29 points.  You're taught in life to fight to the finish no matter how bleak it seems.  

I disagree totally. There is a time to accept defeat gracefully. The Fins were done. It was practically impossible to come back. At that stage the timeouts were totally uncalled for. 

• Like (+1) 2

4 hours ago, Virgil said:

I feel bad for leaving him out. He had great burst and was happy for him out there.  He may earned the #3 spot in the playoffs, but I don’t see anyone taking carries from Moss and Motor unless there’s an injury. 

His first touchdown was fantastic 

Antonio Williams Was a wreaking ball running over people... was very impressed and has some speed on the td run... another in a long line of finds for the GM....  

23 minutes ago, Limeaid said:

Some head coaches have more sense than posters otherwise P5t5rman would never have been pulled in Allen's first year and Fitzpatrick would never have replaced starter when he was with Bills.  You can lose the locker room leaving in an incompetent, shell shocked or not ready QB.

It isn't akin to either of those situations. When they pulled Trent for Fitz it was obvious Trent was finished. Indeed he was released days later. When they pulled Peterman for Allen nobody ever believed Peterman  was the long term answer. Allen was. The equivalent would have been McDermott pulling Allen in that disaster game he had down in Green Bay his rookie year. He didn't. He said we think he is our guy so we have to live with the growing pains. 

• Like (+1) 3

3 hours ago, jeremy2020 said:

It's an aggressive mindset that's been missing from this team for like 20 years.

Longer than that... Marv was always conservative used to infuriate me...  the beginning of the year so was Sean but something finally clicked now he’s in the convo for best head coach. It’s a great time to be a bills fan. 

5 hours ago, Virgil said:

May be it was to give the time for the back ups.  It is not like we were throwing with Allen and Diggs.   It was good to have Davis get that score for his confidence.

17 minutes ago, gordong said:

Longer than that... Marv was always conservative used to infuriate me...  the beginning of the year so was Sean but something finally clicked now he’s in the convo for best head coach. It’s a great time to be a bills fan. 

It always works when you have a Franchise QB

• Like (+1) 1

5 hours ago, Freddie's Dead said:

Good writeup.

2 - Tua is garbage.  If you press his receivers, he can't complete passes over 10 yards.  He had a couple rainbows, and the Bills 1st string backfield would have had more INTs.

5 - I loved seeing Barkley have success throwing the ball.  If we ever need the backup, I'll feel a little bit better.  I hear you about not piling on, we should have done that last week against the Cheats.

The new Williams was a revelation.  After the dearth of Williams lately, we need to restock our Williamses.

Tua has a long way to go. It's early but nothing about him jumps off the page. He looks to be a middle of the road system QB. 

53 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

I disagree totally. There is a time to accept defeat gracefully. The Fins were done. It was practically impossible to come back. At that stage the timeouts were totally uncalled for. 

But still possible.