6 years ago today, Doug Marrone opted out as Bills Head Coach

YoloinOhio

1 hour ago, Steptide said:

Did we ever get a legitimate reason why he opted out? Was it just for the money or did he have issues with the front office? 

Marrone is the only one that could give a definitive answer, and he's never given his reason for opting out. A few years after the opt out he said he talked to the Pegulas and wished he had handled things differently and been more communicative through the process. 

https://buffalowdown.com/2017/03/02/buffalo-bills-doug-marrone-regret/

The rumor that made the most sense to me is that Marrone thought he was getting the NYJ head coach job (his dream job) and abruptly opted out from the Bills with no warning. The Bills FO was pretty shocked by that and reached out to other teams to let them know what had happened. NYJ decided to go with Todd Bowles instead and Marrone ended up an O-Line coach in Jacksonville. 

It's also believable that he didn't get along with the Bills FO and quit for that reason 

1 hour ago, DabillsDaBillsDaBills said:

Marrone is the only one that could give a definitive answer, and he's never given his reason for opting out. A few years after the opt out he said he talked to the Pegulas and wished he had handled things differently and been more communicative through the process. 

https://buffalowdown.com/2017/03/02/buffalo-bills-doug-marrone-regret/

The rumor that made the most sense to me is that Marrone thought he was getting the NYJ head coach job (his dream job) and abruptly opted out from the Bills with no warning. The Bills FO was pretty shocked by that and reached out to other teams to let them know what had happened. NYJ decided to go with Todd Bowles instead and Marrone ended up an O-Line coach in Jacksonville. 

It's also believable that he didn't get along with the Bills FO and quit for that reason 

He says the opt-out experience made him a better coach.

Imagine how much better he will be after his experience this season.

Now is the time, Jets.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 2

On 12/31/2020 at 3:33 PM, YoloinOhio said:

I was disappointed - I didn’t like him, but we went 9-7 and I was like why the eff is he quitting 

I felt the same way. Wasn't a big fan, but the team seemed to be well coached and not too bad.

I didn’t like him but he did a decent job. I wasn’t sad to see him opt out, either.  What I saw was that the Bills organization must’ve been truly undesirable if that was the type of contract they had to give a coach.  The FO was a mess with Russ and Doug Whaley just running it into the ground to get a talented, but flawed roster that was saturated with bad contracts.  The team couldn’t draft offensive players worth a crap outside of Robert Woods, and that was just a numbers game having spent massive amounts of draft capital on the WR position with very little ROI.  When you think that TJ Graham and Goodwin are good 3rd round picks without anyone to throw the ball or to protect the QB you have no idea what the hell you are doing.  I suppose it all played out the way it had to get to where we are now, but I could understand why the guy took the money and ran.   He couldn’t have succeeded with his meh chops as a coach and would’ve ended up being fired or not renewed when everything played out. It was all leading to a house cleaning at some point. 

12 minutes ago, Ayjent said:

I didn’t like him but he did a decent job. I wasn’t sad to see him opt out, either.  What I saw was that the Bills organization must’ve been truly undesirable if that was the type of contract they had to give a coach.  The FO was a mess with Russ and Doug Whaley just running it into the ground to get a talented, but flawed roster that was saturated with bad contracts.  The team couldn’t draft offensive players worth a crap outside of Robert Woods, and that was just a numbers game having spent massive amounts of draft capital on the WR position with very little ROI.  When you think that TJ Graham and Goodwin are good 3rd round picks without anyone to throw the ball or to protect the QB you have no idea what the hell you are doing.  I suppose it all played out the way it had to get to where we are now, but I could understand why the guy took the money and ran.   He couldn’t have succeeded with his meh chops as a coach and would’ve ended up being fired or not renewed when everything played out. It was all leading to a house cleaning at some point. 

The opt out clause is a fairly standard inclusion when there is the prospect of ownership change (which there was) during the term of contract .    Had nothing to do with undesirability.