Lovie Smith out at Illinois, Leipold mentioned as potential candidate

YoloinOhio

Please no. Not only is Lance great for UB, but my wife is a Illini fan and their program is awful.  He won’t succeed there because they are the last place anyone wants to play. When an ex NFL head coach can’t recruit why would a guy from a relative no name school do better? 

On 12/13/2020 at 9:36 PM, Locomark said:

Please no. Not only is Lance great for UB, but my wife is a Illini fan and their program is awful.  He won’t succeed there because they are the last place anyone wants to play. When an ex NFL head coach can’t recruit why would a guy from a relative no name school do better? 

Contrary to popular belief, recruiting isn't about getting the biggest HS names , maybe for Alabama or Ohio State

It's about developing your talents.

UB on paper, has had one of the worst recruiting classes in the country for the last 5 years. A good recruiting class is maybe 90th or 100th in the country for them

Their roster is loaded with two star players, no star players, and a few three star guys. Nobody wanted to come to UB either for the past 20 years

It's about finding diamonds in the rough and developing talent. Illinois isn't good at football because they're a basketball school for the most part. They just don't care enough about football

UB has been trying for football for 20 years, and it finally pays off. But they're still at the bottom of Mac recruiting usually(except this incoming class), they just developed talent better than any other Mac School

Illinois has to become better at developing their talent 

Edited by Buffalo716

23 minutes ago, Buffalo716 said:

Contrary to popular belief, recruiting isn't about getting the biggest HS names , maybe for Alabama or Ohio State

It's about developing your talents.

UB on paper, has had one of the worst recruiting classes in the country for the last 5 years. A good recruiting class is maybe 90th or 100th in the country for them

Their roster is loaded with two star players, no star players, and a few three star guys. Nobody wanted to come to UB either for the past 20 years

It's about finding diamonds in the rough and developing talent. Illinois isn't good at football because they're a basketball school for the most part. They just don't care enough about football

UB has been trying for football for 20 years, and it finally pays off. But they're still at the bottom of Mac recruiting, they just developed talent better than any other Mac School

Illinois has to become better at developing their talent

I don'[t follow college ball that closely. Is there a reason why Illinois is so bad, other than they've always been bad? I mean big school, major conference, seem to spend on coaches. I assume facilities are at par. So why always sucky?

On 12/13/2020 at 12:20 PM, YoloinOhio said:

It’s a terrible job 

Why is it such a terrible program? I mean, they are a major state university (with a top-five engineering school and a top-five computer science school at the graduate level) that's been in a top conference forever, and the program is truly ancient, going back to the 1890s. https://www.sports-reference.com/cfb/schools/illinois/. I can't quite figure it out. They're the most populous state in the midwest too, and it's a state with a great football culture (i.e., the Bears). 

Edited by dave mcbride

8 hours ago, PromoTheRobot said:

I don'[t follow college ball that closely. Is there a reason why Illinois is so bad, other than they've always been bad? I mean big school, major conference, seem to spend on coaches. I assume facilities are at par. So why always sucky?

Like I said it's more of a basketball school historically.

Sometimes schools have to make a choice, what sport they value

There's a reason why UCLA is a basketball school, when they are in a hotbed for football recruiting. They just can't compete with USC in football

Illinois just can't compete with Ohio State and Michigan, and Iowa in football because they just can't recruit at that level. But they can in basketball.

And they have never learned how to recruit at a lower level, while developing their talent at a higher rate like UB does or TCU or Boise State a decade ago

Some schools, are phenomenal developers of talent. Khalil Mack was around  215 lbs stepping on campus. A very undersized linebacker. Tyree Jackson was 6'1 200 lbs. He left a 6'7 240 pound monster. Jarrett Patterson , undersized and underrecruited.. now he will be in the NFL because UB developed him

And UB built Khalil and Tyree and all their guys from the ground up. Some schools recruit talent, some develop it

Edited by Buffalo716

My question for those who pay more attention to the NCAA is this:

Can UB, with Leopoldo at the helm, but in the MAC, become a consistent top-25 to top-30 team? 

If that’s possible, Could it become a program that could then possibly get into the Big East or ACC or something like that.
Women’s Basketball is a great program.

Men’s basketball is also becoming a great program.

If the football program can do the same, shouldn’t they get power 5 consideration?

4 hours ago, Dkollidas said:

My question for those who pay more attention to the NCAA is this:

Can UB, with Leopoldo at the helm, but in the MAC, become a consistent top-25 to top-30 team? 

If that’s possible, Could it become a program that could then possibly get into the Big East or ACC or something like that.
Women’s Basketball is a great program.

Men’s basketball is also becoming a great program.

If the football program can do the same, shouldn’t they get power 5 consideration?

Right now UB lacks the budget and facilities to compete at a higher level, though they make progress. They just opened an indoor football fieldhouse this year.  I know basketball has been complaining they don't have a dedicated practice facility.  Another thing holding them back is the SUNY system itself. They have limits on what coaches can earn. That would have to change.

But since going to D1 in all sports they have made progress. Making the NCAA tournament or the top 25 was a pipe dream 15 years ago. Now look at us. And the fan base and donor base has grown. Still not big compared to P5 schools but growing.  

UB is trapped between two worlds. It's a big fish in the MAC but would be small potatoes in, say, the Big Ten. For a state flagship university it's smallish (31,000 students) because SUNY has 64 campuses, so students get spread around.  When the AAC had UCONN drop out, many said UB would be a natural replacement. One northeast school for another. But joining a larger conference means increased travel and expenses, though revenue should increase too. 

The AAC has been cool so far to replacing UCONN, and the pandemic has messed everything up. But eventually there will be another conference shuffle. And that's when UB might make a move.  Right now, even being in the MAC, they have a good rep for being a program where an up-and-coming coach can succeed and move up. Sucks that coaches and AD's move on, but they have been fortunate that replacements have been solid.

Let's see where we are in 2030.

• Thank you (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.