RIP Diego Maradona

Canadian Bills Fan

6 hours ago, Buffalo Timmy said:

I have been reading more about his influence outside of soccer and my wife asked why anyone should care- and I think I have a good analogy that he is to South America what Jordan is to USA. If there is a better analogy please let me know 

In Napoli he’s a god.  He won two championships in a city that is dirt like that can never possibly compete against the northern giants.

Not sure if you could really compare to anything in American sports.

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, meazza said:

In Napoli he’s a god.  He won two championships in a city that is dirt like that can never possibly compete against the northern giants.

Not sure if you could really compare to anything in American sports.

In Napoli and Argentina he is GOD and clearly in capitals. In Argentina even is an "maradonian church" (a total aberration).

For some comparison you should mix Jordan and Mohammed Ali, for the in field and off field situations

2 hours ago, poblano said:

In Napoli and Argentina he is GOD and clearly in capitals. In Argentina even is an "maradonian church" (a total aberration).

For some comparison you should mix Jordan and Mohammed Ali, for the in field and off field situations

All for a guy that handballed and cheated scoring a goal? AND KNEW IT! The England game in 1986 would have been 1-1... Who knows who would have won? The reason video review is needed because athletes can't be honest.  He knew he hit it with his hand.  England got totally robbed.

"Checho (Sergio Batista) came over and asked me 'You knocked it in with your hand, right? Did you use your hand?'" the legendary No.10 wrote in 'Touched by God'.

"And I answered, 'Shut the f*ck up and keep on celebrating!' We were afraid they would disallow the goal but they didn't."

Maradona always remained unrepentant, partly because of the opposition that day. The quarter-final was played just four years after the Falklands War, which Argentina and the United Kingdom had fought over two British-dependent territories in the South Atlantic."

Good read on it.  Imagine it happening today, the dishonesty...

https://www.goal.com/en-us/news/the-hand-of-god-why-maradona-is-hated-by-some-but-loved-by/5rztyc0ej6i31xcmft9uko4s5

RIP.  An honest man's pillow is his peace of mind.

• Like (+1) 1

In that game, you had probably the worst and best of Maradona. The second goal being the best of him. Just 5 minutes (or less) earlier, he scored the infamous 'Hand of God' goal, where he deliberately punched the ball over the Goalkeeper - with never a regret for having cheated.

As someone said earlier, probably his best performances were for Napoli, when he almost single-handedly, took them to their two titles in Italy. Considering that it's 11 a side, that was a phenominal achievement. It also should be said, that around that time, overall, Serie A, was probably the best, most competetive top league in Europe.

Personally, I wouldn't say he was the best ever, as I feel that unlike others of similar transcendent ability, he was more personally flawed - especially in terms of sportsmanship, but I don't think he should be left out of the conversation.

I don't think there's an argument, that he was the best player of his era, however.

R.I.P.

Edited by Buddo
typo
  • Like (+1) 1

On 11/27/2020 at 1:26 PM, Buffalo Timmy said:

I have been reading more about his influence outside of soccer and my wife asked why anyone should care- and I think I have a good analogy that he is to South America what Jordan is to USA. If there is a better analogy please let me know 

He came from absolutely nothing--was super poor as a child--and became a huge international superstar and fabulously wealthy.

It's the rags to riches theme, which I'm sure a lot of people can live vicariously through.

He also did a lot for his local 'hood once he got famous.

On 11/30/2020 at 6:26 PM, Nextmanup said:

He came from absolutely nothing--was super poor as a child--and became a huge international superstar and fabulously wealthy.

It's the rags to riches theme, which I'm sure a lot of people can live vicariously through.

He also did a lot for his local 'hood once he got famous.

That’s the story of 99% of soccer stars.  

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.