Daboll and the state of the Bills

1 hour ago, ProcessTruster said:

400+ yards offense today.  Please stop.  Daboll is fine.   Geez.   

Gotta throw and defend the pass to win the SB in this league now.   Run and stop the run like its 1973 looks nice and makes you feel like a man, until you play the top 5 teams , then you get steamrollered by big time, efficient passing games led by great passers and encouraged by today's rules.  

Again,  400+ yards offense , none in garbage time.   Nuf said.  Move on.   

against a team that gives up 380 and 30 ppg (23rd in passing TDs given up, 28th in rushing) this season until today.

Just now, Alphadawg7 said:

Daboll is just trying to much "magic" out there.  He needs to learn how to get the team into a rhythm.  I mean we are not running much and when we do, its often out of unconventional formations.  

Its like he just out thinks himself too much or gets too gimmicky at times.

It looks to me like he can’t get guys open downfield without Brown. That’s with two of the sharpest route runners in the league at his disposal

2deep safeties is not a valid reason to struggle in the NFL

Just now, GoBills808 said:

It looks to me like he can’t get guys open downfield without Brown. That’s with two of the sharpest route runners in the league at his disposal

2deep safeties is not a valid reason to struggle in the NFL

Davis and Kroft both streaked downfield wide open in the game. This is actually something he excels at

6 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

I have agreed I'd have preferred that call. But it wasn't the only call that could get it done and actually if we hand off to the back Daboll's call gets it done. Again it is easy every time a play doesn't work to go "play caller" I tend to think that is over simplistic.

I get that, but sorry, there is no convincing me that on a critical 3rd and 1 that a play call like an RPO that is a SLOW DEVELOPING play that starts 5 yards behind the LOS is the smart play call.  And at the split moment Josh needs to make the decision, its not crystal clear who can get it.  And almost every time, the QB is looking to see if he has the hole or not, he cant check his running lanes and also the RB's to decide who takes it.  The decision is made the second the ball is snapped basically.  All Josh is looking for is if he sees enough of a lane for himself to get through, if not, he lets the back take it.  And with a QB as strong and competitive as Josh, hes going to almost ALWAYS keep that ball rather than run outside with a RB who lacks burst speed.

Sorry Bill, just because one of the options might have worked, doesn't make it a good play call or even justified.  I agree you cant always blame the play caller, but that was stupid.  And Daboll has this tendency to call stupid things in key moments that is troubling.  

Edited by Alphadawg7

2 minutes ago, Alphadawg7 said:

Daboll is just trying to much "magic" out there.  He needs to learn how to get the team into a rhythm.  I mean we are not running much and when we do, its often out of unconventional formations.  

Its like he just out thinks himself too much or gets too gimmicky at times.

Here was my post from the game thread about 2-3 plays right before that 3rd/1 read option he called. :doh:

big props to Daboll on this drive

Now don't do anything too Dabolish

• Haha (+1) 1

Just now, Simon said:

Here was my post from the game thread about 2-3 plays right before that 3rd/1 read option he called. :doh:

big props to Daboll on this drive

Now don't do anything too Dabolish

Hahaha I was saying the same thing in a text thread I was in.  Hilarious.  

1 minute ago, Alphadawg7 said:

I get that, but sorry, there is no convincing me that on a critical 3rd and 1 that a play call like an RPO that is a SLOW DEVELOPING play that starts 5 yards behind the LOS is the smart play call.  And at the split moment Josh needs to make the decision, its not crystal clear who can get it.  And almost every time, the QB is looking to see if he has the hole or not, he cant check his running lanes and the RB's to divide who takes it.  And with a QB as strong and competitive as Josh, hes going to almost ALWAYS keep that ball rather than run outside with a RB who lacks burst speed.

Sorry Bill, just because one of the options might have worked, doesn't make it a good play call or even justified.  I agree you cant always blame the play caller, but that was stupid.  And Daboll has this tendency to call stupid things in key moments that is troubling.  

Exactly. Wasn't a perfect call. But could have worked.

It’s just baffling that he didn’t call a run play for the first 25 mins of the game.... that just allows the DC of the other team to bring pressure. Then fans are surprised Josh gets the ball swiped out.

Yes he needs to hold onto the ball.... but are you making things easy on the QB when the defense knows you’re going to pass, every, single, play...? It’s stuff like that that makes me question him. 3rd & 7, Hes got a play design where our best WR is running a 15 yard dig... is that the best play to call when you know that takes time and Greg Williams is a blitz nazi and is good at scheming that on 3rd down.....

For fans to sit here and say “he fine, Bills O is fine”.... yeah sure, but that is not going to work against good teams.

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, 2020 Our Year For Sure said:

Davis and Kroft both streaked downfield wide open in the game. This is actually something he excels at

Kroft was open because of a blown coverage that Allen took advantage of, it had nothing to do with Daboll unless you like Kroft running go routes down the sideline which will usually be useless

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, GoBills808 said:

Kroft was open because of a blown coverage that Allen took advantage of, it had nothing to do with Daboll unless you like Kroft running go routes down the sideline which will usually be useless

He has good passing concepts that put defenders into stress about which man to choose, probably had something to do with it. 

Last year the book on Josh was cover zero, this year they can beat man so the book is play soft zone and force Josh to throw on time underneath and have the patience to take it. He's figuring it out, the light went on in the 3rd quarter. Josh is still evolving.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

Just now, 2020 Our Year For Sure said:

He has good passing concepts that put defenders into stress about which man to choose, probably had something to do with it. 

Last year the book on Josh was cover zero, this year they can beat man so the book is play soft zone and force Josh to throw on time underneath and have the patience to take it. He's figuring it out, the light went on in the 3rd quarter. Josh is still evolving.

3 games ago teams started playing cover2/3/4 shells and Daboll still hasn’t figured it out

Allen is carrying the offense right now, Daboll is an anchor

2 minutes ago, GoBills808 said:

3 games ago teams started playing cover2/3/4 shells and Daboll still hasn’t figured it out

Allen is carrying the offense right now, Daboll is an anchor

Josh started to figure it out in Q3, Dabes is getting him there. :thumbsup:

Edited by 2020 Our Year For Sure

4 minutes ago, GoBills808 said:

This is not true at all.

Early in the year teams were starting games in man schemes and then bailing out of it after about 3 series when they realized it didn't have a chance in hell against this offense.

The only significant difference is that they are no longer even bothering to try to start games in man.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, Simon said:

This is not true at all.

Early in the year teams were starting games in man schemes and then bailing out of it after about 3 series when they realized it didn't have a chance in hell against this offense.

The only significant difference is that they are no longer even bothering to try to start games in man.

I already addressed zone v man

4 minutes ago, GoBills808 said:

I already addressed zone v man

Corner post to Diggs was the right call - Cover1 showed that Allen missed that read last week and this time Allen seemed determined to go to Diggs, he just forgot to freeze the corner first.  If he put his eyes on Kroft first before throwing it to Diggs it would’ve been a perfect play.

• Like (+1) 2

2 minutes ago, Coach Tuesday said:

Corner post to Diggs was the right call - Cover1 showed that Allen missed that read last week and this time Allen seemed determined to go to Diggs, he just forgot to freeze the corner first.  If he put his eyes on Kroft first before throwing it to Diggs it would’ve been a perfect play.

I will say it will be more apparent once we get the coaches film

but that is not how you usually attack that defense...and we are a top passing offense going against a very bad Jets pass defense