RB with speed

BananaB

On 10/20/2020 at 8:43 AM, BananaB said:

We need one badly. Our running game ain’t all on the RBs but it’s part of the problem. Even when we do get a solid carry they are normally bought down from the guys behind them not the guys in front. 

Singletary got great vision but he’s got no burst to take advantage of it

When you look across the Combines, it’s more on the rare side to find a running back who runs in the low 4.4’s, let alone 4.3’s.

I think there is a threshold around 4.5 that is plus speed.

And guys who are mid-4.60’s look a step 

slow.

But you’re point is taken, as the game evolves towards passing the prototype is one balanced RB with size/speed combination, and a smaller/faster RB on 3rd downs. 

Shoot me.  Singeltary is the better back.  He gets more out of his runs.  Moss's vision is lackluster.  He doesnt understand how to break a tackle as a professional.  I hate the zone read shotgun hand off.  That and Josh's athletic ability is relied on too much.  

Singletary was drafted because of his jump cuts and ability to gain yards after contact.  

He's not the fastest RB, but it's hard to hit holes when defenders are in the back field the second he takes a hand off. 

I think we really need to start hitting him on swing passes out of the back field.  He was wide open multiple times yesterday and Allen didn't really even look his way. 

Amazing how much different he looks with a line that can block....

Edited by TwistofFate

41 minutes ago, vincec said:

Backs with game breaking speed that can run between the tackles are rare. I'm not sure you need one either in this hyper passing era.

Vegas agrees.

If you have a good QB.........get him good receiving targets........when a RB averages 13 yards per carry I suspect their presence or absence will start moving the line.

I know this thinking drives people crazy.........and it's mainly because it is so entertaining and empowering to see a back break 3 tackles and get 8 yards for a first down........but sweating over RB's is ultimately pennywise and pound-foolish.