oline or coaching

dbfla10

What is the bigger problem with the inability to run the ball consistently. Is it the oline or the coaching/scheme? Our run game is very vanilla, and looks to be a simple zone scheme. Theres no power, or misdirection.. The oline is doing a rather good job is pass protecting, making me think its more scheme than players.

what are your thoughts.

Well, in one regard the Bills were able to get short yardage all night with Yeldon. Who looked pretty darn good last night to me. 
The line seems much better in pass pro right now. Maybe the lack of preseason games has hurt the blocking schemes. Also moving players around has been an issue. I’d like to see the starting line of-

LT-Dawkins

LG-Ford

C-Morse

RG-Feliciano

RT-Williams

playing together for a few weeks. We might change the way we feel about the run game. 

Edited by atlbillsfan1975
  • Like (+1) 1

I mean Motor was averaging almost 5 YPC coming into the game. That doesn't really fit the narrative you are trying to create.

Yes they struggled yesterday. But so did the Titans amd Raiders against us. Does that necessarily mean there is a problem with them?

• Like (+1) 3
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

5 minutes ago, matter2003 said:

I mean Motor was averaging almost 5 YPC coming into the game. That doesn't really fit the narrative you are trying to create.

Yes they struggled yesterday. But so did the Titans amd Raiders against us. Does that necessarily mean there is a problem with them?

in 3/5 games he has averaged less than 3.3 yds/carry, so the narrative that the run game is struggling isnt off. 

5 minutes ago, Billever76 said:

Its the design of dabols run plays...very vanilla and telegraphed.....its no secret when we are going to run and where we are going to run imo

Agreed, reminds me alot of watching the University of Florida

• Thank you (+1) 1

28 minutes ago, matter2003 said:

You can look at stats....or you can open your eyes and watch the games.  Our running game is an abomination 

1 minute ago, NewEra said:

You can look at stats....or you can open your eyes and watch the games.  Our running game is an abomination 

It's not great but it's not a focus. Teams don't really focus on the run game anymore unless you are the Ravens.

Edited by matter2003

14 minutes ago, SCBills said:

I don’t have much of an issue with the OL.. 

They are elite in pass pro.  Subpar in run blocking.  

I’ll take that trade off. 

They have been extremely good in pass pro.  

It just sucks that we can’t run the ball because they can’t run block worth a dam

24 minutes ago, dbfla10 said:

in 3/5 games he has averaged less than 3.3 yds/carry, so the narrative that the run game is struggling isnt off. 

They obviously are more interested in their pass protection and Allen has a LOT of time back there usually.  All in all I would rather have them be good in pass protection if I had to choose.

32 minutes ago, atlbillsfan1975 said:

Well, in one regard the Bills were able to get short yardage all night with Yeldon. Who looked pretty darn good last night to me. 
The line seems much better in pass pro right now. Maybe the lack of preseason games has hurt the blocking schemes. Also moving players around has been an issue. I’d like to see the starting line of-

LT-Dawkins

LG-Ford

C-Morse

RG-Feliciano

RT-Williams

that line playing together for a few weeks might change the way we feel about the run game. 

Yeah Feliciano is by far our best RG, even better than Ford and the staff knows it.  Thats why they moved Ford to LG

1 minute ago, matter2003 said:

It's not great but it's not a focus. Teams don't really focus on the run game anymore unless you are the Ravens.

Or Cleveland, NE, Vikings, packers, niners.

last year, the 3 of the final 4 teams playing were run based offenses.  sF, GB and the titans.  

im not saying we should be a run based offense, but the ability to run the ball allows you to control the game and sets up the pass.  Our run game sets up nothing. 

6 minutes ago, NewEra said:

Or Cleveland, NE, Vikings, packers, niners.

last year, the 3 of the final 4 teams playing were run based offenses.  sF, GB and the titans.  

im not saying we should be a run based offense, but the ability to run the ball allows you to control the game and sets up the pass.  Our run game sets up nothing. 

And who won the Super Bowl? KC where the run is mostly an after thought.

Theyve decided everything will work off the pass. Which i personally love. 

This gives Allen control and more attempts = more experience. 

I do wonder if its because Daboll doesnt like our lineman to run block. Cause you know....they cant. lol

50 minutes ago, matter2003 said:

And who won the Super Bowl? KC where the run is mostly an after thought.

The chiefs averaged 89 run yards a game during the regular season.  They didn’t run for less than 113 in the playoffs. Not being able to run the ball is a detriment unless you have Pat Mahomes, Tyreek, Kelce, sammy, Hardman and Reid. Reid has always been pass happy and it was said to be his downfall.  Once Reid put together maybe the mort dangerous passing attack of all time was he able to win the big one.  Looking back at the last super bowl champions, how many were dominant passing attacks that couldn’t run the ball?  It’s a short list. 

I’m not saying we should become a run based team.  We should clearly be a passing offense.  We have a dangerous group of WRs, a QB that can use each of them and an OL that excels in pass blocking while being terrible at run blocking.  My point is, if our run game doesn’t get better (not become great) we won’t be winning a super bowl imo.