Who are you?

shoshin

SDS's post exposing his humanity was revealing in reminding us who we attack when we hide behind anonymity. So I ask: Who are you? Who is the human behind your username? 

I'm a 50 year old man. Married to a woman I met at a party freshman year of college. I've mentioned her before but she is a hospice and home care social worker, so mostly working with those dying and at the end of their lives. I'm a father to a freshman in college, who is during her best to be a college freshman even though she's doing all her stuff remotely. It's an emotional struggle to have such a disappointing start to college after working hard to get in but she's keeping a stiff upper lip.

I have lived in the same home for 20 years, run my own small business with just 4 people for the last 7, and kept it together (mostly) through Covid, though it's not been easy. My parents live in Buffalo and are still alive and mostly healthy. I have a brother who works with kids, one who is a super smart scientist, and another who is a nurse transitioning from that to running a carpentry business. I clean up the long driveway behind all 4 houses that share our driveway because that's how I was raised. I do most of the repairs in my house but generally skip the larger projects just because I can, though I've renovated everything once when I first got the house (being handy is a product of my youth).  I volunteer helping kids who are stuck in "the system." Coached kids sports and was on the board of a local sports club for many years (I just threw my volunteer hours into things as best I could--mostly on the business side).  

I'm not asking you to say your name or anything too revealing. But let's come out a little from behind the username, build a community. 

• Like (+1) 3

6 minutes ago, shoshin said:

I'm not asking you to say your name or anything too revealing. But let's come out a little from behind the username, build a community. 

No.

You have not earned the respect of the board enough for an answer.

I have revealed many facts about my life to the board over the past nine years, but you wouldn't know that.

• Like (+1) 2

56 Married

Born in West Seneca

Moved to East Otto when I was 13 (spent summers and most weekends in Zoar Vally since I was an infant)

Went to college, got a job with a company which I spent 14 years working for and travelled around to world helping to setup Lottery data centers and trained the computer operators.  Met my wife in Prague while on a project there.

Got a new job working for a large financial company for the past 21 years.

I live in New Hampshire and when I'm not arguing with people about politics on this board I root for the Bills and am the Director/Coach of a Junior Rifle Team and I shoot rifle and pistol competitively (7 time NH state resident conventional pistol champion).

My avatar is my daughter who shot for The Ohio State Varsity Rifle Team for 3 years on scholarship.

• Like (+1) 6

1 minute ago, B-Man said:

No.

I have revealed many facts about my life to the board over the past nine years, but you wouldn't know that.

Yes I would. Gathering the people's information here to remind us that we're all people. 

Just now, bdutton said:

56 Married

Born in West Seneca

Moved to East Otto when I was 13 (spent summers and most weekends in Zoar Vally since I was an infant)

Went to college, got a job with a company which I spent 14 years working for and travelled around to world helping to setup Lottery data centers and trained the computer operators.  Met my wife in Prague while on a project there.

Got a new job working for a large financial company for the past 21 years.

I live in New Hampshire and when I'm not arguing with people about politics on this board I root for the Bills and am the Director/Coach of a Junior Rifle Team and I shoot rifle and pistol competitively (7 time NH state resident conventional pistol champion).

My avatar is my daughter who shot for The Ohio State Varsity Rifle Team for 3 years on scholarship.

That's awesome RE the shooting for you but especially your daughter. Of all the things that I should have encourage my daughter for scholarship, I never thought of shooting! Damn it where were you when she was 4 years old and I could have pushed that instead of bunch-ball youth soccer?

7 minutes ago, Chef Jim said:

Before I answer are you looking for who I really am or who/what I identify as?  This is 2020 after all. 

Whatever you want to share man/woman/they? 

• Like (+1) 1

5 minutes ago, meazza said:

39 born and raised in Montreal.  Married last year and just had a son.  I'm Italian and my wife is Algerian.

Congratulations on the son! Where in Italy were you born? I've been many times and have good friends in Padua and others outside Rimini (where I do some business). 

Edited by shoshin

11 minutes ago, B-Man said:

No.

...so now after all of the prolonged pot stirring, SDS/MODS frazzled, fed up and disgusted (as are many posters), bans, excessive "reporting" at the drop of a pin, we now have a let's be friends "olive branch thread"?......wow....

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, OldTimeAFLGuy said:

...so now after all of the prolonged pot stirring, SDS/MODS frazzled, fed up and disgusted (as are many posters), bans, excessive "reporting" at the drop of a pin, we now have a let's be friends "olive branch thread"?......wow....

Yep.

Standard operating procedure.

After all, he is talking for the board majority now.

• Like (+1) 1

4 minutes ago, OldTimeAFLGuy said:

If this place is a cesspool, why not try to clean it up by introducing yourself. Your community here is bigger than one person.

Many here prefer to namecall from behind an inhuman avatar.  Is that you? 

Just now, B-Man said:

After all, he is talking for the board majority now.

Never said that even once. Most of you disagree with me on the merits of PPP. It doesn't mean we're not all a person behind the keyboard. I liked Scott's introduction in his long post explaining what DR did to get himself banned and it got us talking and me thinking. 

Edited by shoshin
  • Like (+1) 1

18 minutes ago, B-Man said:

No.

Hoax.  You don’t speak for the board.  

10 minutes ago, shoshin said:

Congratulations on the son! Where in Italy were you born? I've been many times and have good friends in Padua and others outside Rimini (where I do some business). 

I was born in Montreal.  My parents were born in Salerno.

2 minutes ago, New Improved DC Tom said:

Brother Wease's daily play in the early 90s. 

Somehow the FCC let you say ####### but not a bunch of other words of similar caliber. [And it looks like this board has a filter in excess of the 90s FCC.)

Edited by shoshin

3 minutes ago, shoshin said:

If this place is a cesspool, why not try to clean it up by introducing yourself. Your community here is bigger than one person.

Many here prefer to namecall from behind an inhuman avatar.  Is that you? 

Never said that even once. Most of you disagree with me on the merits of PPP. It doesn't mean we're not all a person behind the keyboard. I liked Scott's introduction in his long post explaining what DR did to get himself banned and it got us talking and me thinking. 

...quite frankly because the "self proclaimed janitor" does not impress me......an observation, opinion and nothing more.......

• Like (+1) 3
  • Thank you (+1) 1

I’ll answer with generalities.  Worked my *ss off to get where I am.  Always try to do the right thing.  Believer in the truth and in treating people the right way.  Hopeless smart*ss.  

But I won’t get more specific because some of the people who read this are nuts.  

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, OldTimeAFLGuy said:

...quite frankly because the "self proclaimed janitor" does not impress me......an observation, opinion and nothing more.......

You don't have to agree with me or be impressed by me. Who is the guy behind OltTimeAFLGuy? 

1 minute ago, SectionC3 said:

I’ll answer with generalities.  Worked my *ss off to get where I am.  Always try to do the right thing.  Believer in the truth and in treating people the right way.  Hopeless smart*ss.  

But I won’t get more specific because some of the people who read this are nuts.  

Not much of an introduction brother. Are you threatened by people here? 

26 minutes ago, shoshin said:

About you, what is your position on?

Conspiracy theories: aliens, 911, Kennedy assassination, deaths surrounding Clinton family Foster +, Obama birth certificate real/hoax?

China: confront or bend over?

Immigration: open or tight borders?

US world peacekeeper or one of many?

Mostly Peaceful Protests, or Riots?

BLM painted on Pennsylvania and 5th Ave

Free Speech or Cancel Culture?

Patriot or Citizen of the World?

Forgive student debt?

Free Health Care for illegals?

Guaranteed annual income?

You seem like you worked hard in life. Given such a background I would expect conservative positions on issues, but often 

I am very wrong.

o

1 minute ago, Niagara said:

About you, what is your position on?

Conspiracy theories: aliens, 911, Kennedy assassination, deaths surrounding Clinton family Foster +, Obama birth certificate real/hoax?

On all of them I accept the mainstream theories, that is, no conspiracy. Aliens probably exist but I doubt they have any interest in us or have visited. 

China: confront or bend over?

I like what Trump has done. 

Immigration: open or tight borders?

Immigration encouraged massively, through legal avenues. 

US world peacekeeper or one of many?

One of many allies. 

Mostly Peaceful Protests, or Riots?

Mostly peaceful, with criminal elements there to loot for self benefit and some to just sow chaos. 

BLM painted on Pennsylvania and 5th Ave

Who cares. 

Free Speech or Cancel Culture?

Cancel culture is a scourge. 

Patriot or Citizen of the World?

I cry when the National Anthem plays with my hat off and hand on my heart. Except for fall Sundays, my flag flies on my flag pole. 

Forgive student debt?

Why? You take a loan you pay it back. 

Free Health Care for illegals?

No ... but we all suffer if illegals get too sick. Tough one and probably need some level of care. 

Guaranteed annual income?

Only for me. 

You seem like you worked hard in life. Given such a background I would expect conservative positions on issues, but often 

I am very wrong.

o

This will likely not be interesting unless you introduce yourself but I’ll play along. 

I'm in my mid to late 50's, retired, a widower, lost my beautiful bride of many years to cancer. My kids are all grown, I used to be a staunch democrat, until they took a sharp left. I'm a compassionate and caring human being who does his best to give something back for having been given so much. 

• Sad 3

A nice idea that I think is normally good practice, but without actual face to face meetings is unlikely to have much impact at this point. Still an idea to keep in mind and ask yourself if you treat family and friends who have different perspectives with a gentler touch than you do strangers online.  

50 minutes ago, westside2 said:

I'm in my mid to late 50's, retired, a widower, lost my beautiful bride of many years to cancer. My kids are all grown, I used to be a staunch democrat, until they took a sharp left. I'm a compassionate and caring human being who does his best to give something back for having been given so much. 

Beautiful and I’m sorry to hear about your wife. 

47 minutes ago, BillsFanNC said:

A nice idea that I think is normally good practice, but without actual face to face meetings is unlikely to have much impact at this point. Still an idea to keep in mind and ask yourself if you treat family and friends who have different perspectives with a gentler touch than you do strangers online.  

I agree that in person is best but I also disagree. I already know more about a few usernames than I ever knew before. 

It’s Covid time. Anyone want to have an in person Video meeting? I’m happy to host. Bills talk and the beverage of your choice. Can even mask your name if you want. I’m surprised no one did it here before. 

Edited by shoshin

I will offer up another sad, dark, seriously? factoid…

My father ditched the family when I was in eighth grade, so somewhere near my 13th birthday. Never had much contact with him after that except for a funeral. Fast forward to the year 2002 - I get a random email from him telling me that he’s been reading my site for years and never knew it was mine. Then he just stop talking to me LOL.

fast forward again to last year I think? I am shooting the ***** in the shout box and someone brings up the blizzard of 77. This poster says they were stuck in a restaurant near Buffalo but came from my dinky little hometown. Like a clueless idiot I asked them who they were because well hey I’m from there!

Turns out my father registered as Kemp2Warlick and has been posting here for years and posting in the shoutbox. Has a son, daughter-in-law and grandchildren. Couldn’t give a rats ass. However, he was very up on what Adam Schefter had to report around the NFL.

And sometimes we’d be the only half a dozen people chatting in the shoutbox. 😂

He passed away recently and his wife, whom I never met, posted here under his display name to let us know how much he loved the community and that he had finally died.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Sad 1
  • Thank you (+1) 4

17 minutes ago, SDS said:

I will offer up another sad, dark, seriously? factoid…

My father ditched the family when I was in eighth grade, so somewhere near my 13th birthday. Never had much contact with him after that except for a funeral. Fast forward to the year 2002 - I get a random email from him telling me that he’s been reading my site for years and never knew it was mine. Then he just stop talking to me LOL.

fast forward again to last year I think? I am shooting the ***** in the shout box and someone brings up the blizzard of 77. This poster says they were stuck in a restaurant near Buffalo but came from my dinky little hometown. Like a clueless idiot I asked them who are they were because well hey I’m from there!

Turns out my father registered as Kemp2Warlick and has been posting here for years and posting in the shoutbox. Has a son, daughter-in-law and grandchildren. Couldn’t give a rats ass. However, he was very up on what Adam Schefter had to report around the NFL.

And sometimes we’d be the only half a dozen people chatting in the shoutbox. 😂

He passed away recently and his wife, whom I never met, posted here under his display name to let us know how much he loved the community and that he had finally died.

Holy crap that’s some story. Makes me sad and hopeful in equal measure. You gave him a gift you never appreciated and he couldn’t fully embrace. You created an amazing thing here. 

Bills factoid. I got my Bills love growing up playing Nerf touch football on Woodward Ave in my neighborhood near the zoo, but oddly mostly from my mom. My dad watches zero football. My mom lives for all Buffalo sports  and had season tix during the great years and took me to many games including the comeback, when she left early and I stayed. She would hate me to share that so now I really need to stay anonymous!

11 minutes ago, shoshin said:

Holy crap that’s some story. Makes me sad and hopeful in equal measure. You gave him a gift you never appreciated and he couldn’t fully embrace. You created an amazing thing here. 

I must have posted a new topic? Doesn’t seem right. I’m sure I posted something like the next day. I didn’t want to make it about me.