So with Cut Day happening on Saturday Any Suprises?

MAJBobby

2 hours ago, GunnerBill said:

Yea Sweeney is on PUP. He has been on PUP since before camp so think very unlikely they activate him now given it would give them a tough decision on him. DiMarco is just hurt but he was almost certainly in his last year here, he is out of contract after this season and the Bills seem to like Gilliam. If DiMarco was healthy I think they'd have had him on the team and just tried to sneak Gilliam onto the PS but not sure they will take that risk if DiMarco is then going to miss 4 or 5 games anyway. They might just bite the bullet and cut the vet.

Before training camp started I was of the opinion that if Sweeney improved his blocking a little bit, they may dump Smith and keep Sweeney, but this injury has stopped that so think Smith is now a lock and Sweeney stays on PUP.

As for Gilliam I thought the Bills liked him to and was thinking the same of keeping Gilliam and cutting DeMarco, but then hearing Mcd's comments yesterday about Gilliam not being ready yet makes me think otherwise.

It's also possible that DeMarco would be fine if there was a regular season game  in 3 days or so, but for training camp he's just resting.  Remember last year, people here were losing their minds about Morse being out all of  camp, he'll never make it through the whole season, posters were speculating he was going to announce his retirement.  Game 1 rolls around, he was healed and don't recall him ever missing a snap.

7 minutes ago, Ed_Formerly_of_Roch said:

Before training camp started I was of the opinion that if Sweeney improved his blocking a little bit, they may dump Smith and keep Sweeney, but this injury has stopped that so think Smith is now a lock and Sweeney stays on PUP.

As for Gilliam I thought the Bills liked him to and was thinking the same of keeping Gilliam and cutting DeMarco, but then hearing Mcd's comments yesterday about Gilliam not being ready yet makes me think otherwise.

It's also possible that DeMarco would be fine if there was a regular season game  in 3 days or so, but for training camp he's just resting.  Remember last year, people here were losing their minds about Morse being out all of  camp, he'll never make it through the whole season, posters were speculating he was going to announce his retirement.  Game 1 rolls around, he was healed and don't recall him ever missing a snap.

Yes, if DiMarco is healthy enough to play he will be on the roster. I have been saying that all summer. Is a bit of an if at the moment though.

On 8/31/2020 at 11:55 AM, MAJBobby said:

With some of the cuts already happening, I think two surprises I am going to list.

Trent Murphy - Sticks on the team, with the reports that AJ is struggling I think he end up sticking.  I really think they wanted to move on from him but I think that he sticks at this point.

Robert Foster - Gone I think they will trade him this week, there will be coaches that look at a 6 game stretch in 2 years and say we can get that out of him, missing time again with another injury.  

Nsekhe traded.  I dont think they are cutting him and I dont think they would move him for late picks, but a mid round pick or a under-performing youngster (ala Hughes trade) and he could be moved.  

Those are my three surprise guesses must admit it is hard doing this without actually seeing practices this year and no Preseason Games to look at either.

I think we could be in store for some known players not making the team.

It’s all but certain that the rookies will have a spot INT he roster which will give the Bills 5 WR’s + Andre Roberts as WR/KR.  I don’t think they keep 6 WR plus Roberts, so that means the following are likely gone:

Robert Foster

Duke Williams

Isaiah McKenzie

I don’t these players will be out of work for long.

The OL could be interesting as well, if you believe the reports that Daryl Williams and Cody Ford got some work with the 1st Team OL.  If people like Ryan Bates can step up as OL swingman, then I think either Brian Winters or TY Nsekhe could be gone.  I don’t think they could trade either.

I think that Murphy stays and the team tries to sneak Daryl Williams on the PS.  I don’t think there’s much value on the trade market and that they are better keeping him in the DL rotation

Some other possible cuts that I think could happen:

FB Pat DiMarco - I have a feeling the team loves the versatility of a younger Reggie Gilliam.  Also they’ve filled a few voids on ST, so they no longer need DiMarco here.

RB TJ Yeldon - With Taiwan Jones on the team, I’m not sure there is much space for Yeldon.  Yes he can play ST’s but it wasn’t enough to keep him active last year... it might not this year.  

TE - Jason Croom - Theres just not a spot for him at TE.  

TE - Lee Smith - less likely but if Williams is playing OT and Ford is inside, Smith on the become less valueable as a blocker.  He also wasn’t very last year.

QB - Jake Fromm - Logic tells you this doesn’t happen but reports out of camp are that he hasn’t impressed.  The team also like Davis Webb

On 9/1/2020 at 12:34 PM, GunnerBill said:

Yes, if DiMarco is healthy enough to play he will be on the roster. I have been saying that all summer. Is a bit of an if at the moment though.

Is there a spot for him anymore?  Daboll doesn’t use a FB much and this year you’d expect the Bills to run a lot of 3 WR.

I know he was valued on Special Teams, but the Bills brought on Taiwan Jones, Tyler Manekevich, and Andre Smith as upgrades.

I think there’s a decent chance they move on

Ok here are my "surprises" --

Bills keep 7 WRs (surprise)...Duke is not one of them (not a surprise)

Bills keep 2 QBs (Allen/Barkley), then sign Webb to PS

DiMarco released/retired with injury settlement

Lee Smith released; Gilliam 3rd TE behind Knox/Kroft

• Like (+1) 1

18 minutes ago, JohnNord said:

Is there a spot for him anymore?  Daboll doesn’t use a FB much and this year you’d expect the Bills to run a lot of 3 WR.

I know he was valued on Special Teams, but the Bills brought on Taiwan Jones, Tyler Manekevich, and Andre Smith as upgrades.

I think there’s a decent chance they move on

Taiwan Jones does not play the same position on special teams as DiMarco. Jones is a gunner. DiMarco plays as a wing on punts and inside on kickoffs. 

I think Smith has been brought in because DiMarco is injured. Ty is the Zo replacement. Smith has played as a wing on punts so I think he is here precisely as injury insurance for DiMarco. If DiMarco was healthy he would be on this team.

4 minutes ago, eball said:

Ok here are my "surprises" --

Bills keep 7 WRs (surprise)...Duke is not one of them (not a surprise)

Bills keep 2 QBs (Allen/Barkley), then sign Webb to PS

DiMarco released/retired with injury settlement

Lee Smith released; Gilliam 3rd TE behind Knox/Kroft

Lee Smith will make the team. 

Edited by GunnerBill

2 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

Taiwan Jones does not play the same position on special teams as DiMarco. Jones is a gunner. DiMarco plays as a wing on punts and inside on kickoffs. 

I think Smith has been brought in precisely because DiMarco is injured. Ty is the Zo replacement. Smith has played as a wing on punts so I think he is here precisely as injury insurance for DiMarco. If DiMarco was healthy he would be on this team.

Lee Smith will make the team. 

DiMarco will too

4 hours ago, Manther said:

Smith is old reliable for two penalties a game as a blocking expert.

Obviously you failed 3rd grade math.  He did not get 2 penalties a game last year even for those which were not taken by opposing teams.

Taught to me by my debate team: "Exaggeration is a tool used by those unprepared for battle of wits." 

• Like (+1) 1

13 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

If they can get him healthy for week 1 or thereabouts I agree.

My bad, I didnt see that you said just that. 

10 minutes ago, Limeaid said:

Obviously you failed 3rd grade math.  He did not get 2 penalties a game last year even for those which were not taken by opposing teams.

Taught to me by my debate team: "Exaggeration is a tool used by those unprepared for battle of wits." 

What format of debate?? Policy or L-D?

37 minutes ago, Limeaid said:

Here's Lee Smith's 2019 penalty stats:

8 penalties, 5 false start, 3 offensive holding. 1 declined, 51 total yards.

https://www.nflpenalties.com/player/l-smith-buffalo-bills?year=2019

Now if you want to really ***** on Lee, you can say this: Lee had more yards taken away by penalties than he had receiving in 2019.

Edited by gregor7777

4 minutes ago, gregor7777 said:

True but that was on 30% of the offensive snaps.

Dawkins had 8 penalties with 95% of the offensive snaps.

Fans can try to work around this but Lee Smith has always had too many penalties his entire career.

3 minutes ago, ColoradoBills said:

True but that was on 30% of the offensive snaps.

Dawkins had 8 penalties with 95% of the offensive snaps.

Fans can try to work around this but Lee Smith has always had too many penalties his entire career.

He has always been penalty prone, true. But he is a good blocker. 

1 minute ago, GunnerBill said:

He has always been penalty prone, true. But he is a good blocker. 

Gunner, I know you have defended a lot of players with reasons to not move on from them.

I think a couple of them will be cut.

My position is there is a lot of players (14 to begin the season) on this team over 30,  many on the last year of their contract.

A few others probably won't make the end of their contract next year.

Maybe, maybe one or two could be extended one more year.

I looked at the list and truly don't believe they will all make the team this year and then the vast majority leave next year all at once.

Additionally but not a critical reason is money can be saved for next year signing by going younger.

I will patiently wait until Saturday to see if my reasoning is valid.

24 minutes ago, gregor7777 said:

Now if you want to really ***** on Lee, you can say this: Lee had more yards taken away by penalties than he had receiving in 2019.

I guess I did not learn new math: 8+5+3+1 = 2*16 (with 8 counted twice)

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

54 minutes ago, ColoradoBills said:

Gunner, I know you have defended a lot of players with reasons to not move on from them.

I think a couple of them will be cut.

My position is there is a lot of players (14 to begin the season) on this team over 30,  many on the last year of their contract.

A few others probably won't make the end of their contract next year.

Maybe, maybe one or two could be extended one more year.

I looked at the list and truly don't believe they will all make the team this year and then the vast majority leave next year all at once.

Additionally but not a critical reason is money can be saved for next year signing by going younger.

I will patiently wait until Saturday to see if my reasoning is valid.

No I am against older players. Don't keep signing 30+ defensive ends for example. I think DiMarco is 50/50. If he can't play before week 2 or 3 he is gone. But Smith is making this team. 

Fans hate fullbacks and blocking tight ends. I get it. That happens every year. 

11 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

No I am against older players. Don't keep signing 30+ defensive ends for example. I think DiMarco is 50/50. If he can't play before week 2 or 3 he is gone. But Smith is making this team. 

Fans hate fullbacks and blocking tight ends. I get it. That happens every year. 

Most likely he does make the team this year and most likely it's his last as a Bill.

FWIW I have nothing bad to say about keeping a FB and blocking TE on a team as long as they perform well and don't cost much.