Josh Allen’s offense vs Sam Darnold’s offense

Logic

2 hours ago, eball said:

I’m not picking on you specifically, but in my opinion “worrying” about when other teams might become good is a waste of time.  As Bills fans we have suffered for a very long time, but we need to start realizing that things have changed.  With the leadership now in place the Bills are poised to become one of those four or five teams you look at as being “in the mix” each and every season.  Who cares what the other teams do?

And by the way, I loved the Bills-Fish rivalry of the 80s and 90s.  If that returns, so be it.

I’m with you man. This is the first year in my adult life(I’m 35) that I honestly didn’t care much about what other teams in our division were doing. And that’s because none of it changed how good I think our bills are and what I expect from them going forward. 

20 hours ago, Logic said:

In reading about the Denzel Mims hamstring injury, I can’t help but reflect on how much better a position the Bills have put Josh Allen in that what the Jets have done for Darnold.

Josh Allen is going into the all-important year three with the same offensive coordinator and head coach, an offensive line returning 4 of 5 starters, and a WR corps of Stefon Diggs, John Brown, and Cole Beasley, with two promising young rookies waiting in the wings.

Sam Darnold is going into the all-important year three under his second head coach and third offensive coordinator. His offensive line will likely feature new starters at all five spots, several of whom are replacement level journeyman types. Their WR corps features Breshad Perriman, Denzel Mims, And Jamison Crowder. Gone are both Robby Anderson and Quincy Enunwa.

Whereas the Bills are counting on proven stud Stefon Diggs to be their number 1 receiver, the Jets are counting on...Perriman, I guess? 

Whereas the Bills can ease their rookie receivers along slowly and don’t need to count on them immediately, the Jets NEED their rookie WR to be good immediately or else their offense is in trouble. It’s hard for WRs to be mega-productive even in the best of circumstances, but counting on one to produce after missing time with injury and having no preseason is asking quite a lot.

For years, I watched the Bills put their young QBs in bad situations that sabotaged their development. For once, it’s nice to watch a division rival do the same, while the Bills do everything possible to build around their youngster.

Soooo glad I’m not a Jets fan. What they’re doing to Darnold is downright criminal.

Logic -

I have a good friend who is a big Jets fan.  Well, he's more than a fan - he worked for years for the owner, and he was as much on the inside as it's possible to be.  Now he has a different job and no connection to the Jets (except for great season tickets four rows behind the Bills bench!!!).

I copied your post and sent it to him.

He wrote back saying that it's exactly right, and that he's been feeling sorry for Darnold, too.   

He says he looks back over the years and sees the continuing dysfunction, even with the success they had getting to the playoffs some, and now he sees there's only on conclusion: the team needs new ownership.   He says as much as he loves them, they just have not been good - actually, they've been bad - at getting the team building in the right direction and in the right ways.  

I responded by telling him how hard it was for me to say the same things about Mr. Wilson.  I loved the guy, I was loyal to him to the end, but years before the end it was obvious to me that he didn't know how to hire the right people and then let them run the place.  That experience, and looking at the Jets, makes me appreciate how fortunate we are to have the owners we have.  

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

So interesting about Allen/Darnold

they play, they miss some time, they win or lose, different styles, different competence with front offices and coaches and different talent levels...

end of the day 

they both sit comfortably in the 20s rankings of most passing categories with Darnold beating Allen in some and Allen beating Darnold in others.  Each one 1-1 against the other.

pick it up guys.  You were both traded up for in the draft pick it up.

Edited by RalphWilson'sNewWar

1 hour ago, Shaw66 said:

Logic -

I have a good friend who is a big Jets fan.  Well, he's more than a fan - he worked for years for the owner, and he was as much on the inside as it's possible to be.  Now he has a different job and no connection to the Jets (except for great season tickets four rows behind the Bills bench!!!).

I copied your post and sent it to him.

He wrote back saying that it's exactly right, and that he's been feeling sorry for Darnold, too.   

He says he looks back over the years and sees the continuing dysfunction, even with the success they had getting to the playoffs some, and now he sees there's only on conclusion: the team needs new ownership.   He says as much as he loves them, they just have not been good - actually, they've been bad - at getting the team building in the right direction and in the right ways.  

I responded by telling him how hard it was for me to say the same things about Mr. Wilson.  I loved the guy, I was loyal to him to the end, but years before the end it was obvious to me that he didn't know how to hire the right people and then let them run the place.  That experience, and looking at the Jets, makes me appreciate how fortunate we are to have the owners we have.  

Thanks for this. Interesting to hear a Jets fan’s perspective on things.

I felt the same about Mr Wilson. I remember very clearly the day I read the chapter in Marv Levy’s book where he states that the only way for a team or organization to have sustained success is to have great ownership in place. In Marv’s view, Everything flows down from the owner, and if you don’t have a good owner, well...good luck!

The reason I remember reading that so clearly is that Mr Wilson was still the owner at the time, and that quite depressed me. I felt that as long as he continued to be the owner, the Bills would never again have sustained success.

Folks can say what they want about the Pegulas — Lord knows the Sabres have been a mess — but they have done everything possible so far to enable the Bills to be winners. Money, resources, facilities, spending big on coaches and scouts, hiring Beane and then letting him do his job. So far, at least, signs are encouraging.

Edited by Logic