Got In Yesterday From WNY.....

Alot of areas are seeing people getting out of the Big Cities after all of this

Mostly its because of Companies realizing they can have people working from home and save money on offices so people don't need to live in the city because of work.

Add in that people are also worried about being stuck in their home again during another lockdown and they are looking for homes with property so they don't get stuck in a small apartment and can atleast have some outdoor space to enjoy.

I think we will see a big push in the next year or so, but then many will be going back once things return to 'Normal' and Covid is behind us once they realize the work required to maintain a home with any sort of property to it. Also it will end up just raising the prices of the cheaper homes now and not be worth it if you don't get in early.

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, apuszczalowski said:

Mostly its because of Companies realizing they can have people working from home and save money on offices so people don't need to live in the city because of work.

Add in that people are also worried about being stuck in their home again during another lockdown and they are looking for homes with property so they don't get stuck in a small apartment and can atleast have some outdoor space to enjoy.

I think we will see a big push in the next year or so, but then many will be going back once things return to 'Normal' and Covid is behind us once they realize the work required to maintain a home with any sort of property to it. Also it will end up just raising the prices of the cheaper homes now and not be worth it if you don't get in early.

Thats what I am hoping.  Raising  house  prices beyond  what people can afford.  Then the hunt for  cheaper  digs.

But  there will be transfer of wealth.  All the old ones dieing  in this will transfer $$$ and property  to their children,  etc... That transfer will affect the economy.   150,000 already  dead.  This will  play out in many  forms.

The education  bubble is also coming...

11 hours ago, ExiledInIllinois said:

Thats what I am hoping.  Raising  house  prices beyond  what people can afford.  Then the hunt for  cheaper  digs.

But  there will be transfer of wealth.  All the old ones dieing  in this will transfer $$$ and property  to their children,  etc... That transfer will affect the economy.   150,000 already  dead.  This will  play out in many  forms.

The education  bubble is also coming...

People around here when it started thought it's great because of how much their values went up and how much they would make selling, but then don't realize that your now going to go and get into a bidding war and overpay for your next place because the values are so much higher.

Its a great time here to sell if you are downsizing and don't need to buy again.

Edited by apuszczalowski
  • Like (+1) 2

15 hours ago, ExiledInIllinois said:

Called  white flight, especially  here to across the border into Indiana. 

This is 2000 & 2010 Census.   2020 has to have  this chart  on "steriods."

Williamsville  and Amherst.  LoL... Very  diverse! Williamsville  is 0.1% AA. 

map-8-1-thumb.jpg

Not sure how true this is for Columbus.  Apartments and condos are being built downtown like they are going out of style.  2-3 years ago I was considering the move to downtown.  Now, you can't touch a condo / townhouse downtown.  Prices went out of the roof.

16 hours ago, Buffalo716 said:

I can buy a house in the City of Buffalo that is 1500 square feet For like 40-60 grand in spots

That house in cheektowaga. 120-170 grand

East Aurora: 200-300 grand lol

I think that's kind of true all over.  If we moved our house 3 miles in different directions, its value would either treble or halve.

Been that way for years.

• Like (+1) 2

14 hours ago, apuszczalowski said:

there's always a weird cyclical movement regarding this.  maybe 5-6 years ago, everyone was moving back to cities in droves.  the reason cited was younger people didn't have the money to buy homes, and didn't want to be bogged down by the daily upkeep as you mentioned.  now we see the swing back to more living space.

in my area the problem has been with people not moving out.  our public school as significantly smaller classes than in the past, mostly because young people can't find housing in the area.  once something comes on the market, there's such a steep overbid just to get something average.  at some point the older population will age out, and there's should be a significant number of houses available.  timing is everything.

6 hours ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

I think that's kind of true all over.  If we moved our house 3 miles in different directions, its value would either treble or halve.

Been that way for years.

I used to work in an area where a move of just a few hundred yards could easily result in a 30% swing in value. Cross one major road and you are on “the right side of the tracks.”  Many national appraisal review companies will require a statement regarding whether comps have crossed any major roads, boundaries, etc that would affect value. All about location......

10 hours ago, BuffaloBud said:

Not sure how true this is for Columbus.  Apartments and condos are being built downtown like they are going out of style.  2-3 years ago I was considering the move to downtown.  Now, you can't touch a condo / townhouse downtown.  Prices went out of the roof.

I think I’ve heard we’re the hottest market in the country 

10 hours ago, teef said:

there's always a weird cyclical movement regarding this.  maybe 5-6 years ago, everyone was moving back to cities in droves.  the reason cited was younger people didn't have the money to buy homes, and didn't want to be bogged down by the daily upkeep as you mentioned.  now we see the swing back to more living space.

in my area the problem has been with people not moving out.  our public school as significantly smaller classes than in the past, mostly because young people can't find housing in the area.  once something comes on the market, there's such a steep overbid just to get something average.  at some point the older population will age out, and there's should be a significant number of houses available.  timing is everything.

It was crazy here the last few years where everything was going for over asking and being sold right when or just before it even hit the market.

Just over 6 years ago, it took a lot of time to sell a house and you could get it cheap.

After cleaning up and doing some maintenance/renos on my old house (which was a rental for college students for a year before I bought it and was known by those around it as the party house), It took me almost 5 years to sell the house having it on the market for off an on during that time period for what i paid + the cost of the new furnace I had installed. Bought my current house for under asking price and within a year the real estate market started going crazy. House was appraised by the bank a few years ago at about 2-1/2 times more then we paid, and now we have a neighbor selling a house accross the street for almost 4 times what we paid. All thanks to the fact that the region became a hotbed for retirees fleeing Toronto. Of course good luck trying to get anything reasonable or not having to bid over asking on a place......

On 7/28/2020 at 7:32 PM, ExiledInIllinois said:

Called  white flight, especially  here to across the border into Indiana. 

This is 2000 & 2010 Census.   2020 has to have  this chart  on "steriods."

Williamsville  and Amherst.  LoL... Very  diverse! Williamsville  is 0.1% AA. 

map-8-1-thumb.jpg

WNY is historically one of the most segregated communities in the country.

• Thank you (+1) 1