How does COVID affect the salary cap?

Augie

NFL salary cap could drop by as much as $40 million in 2021 per report

It should not come as a shock to anyone with what is going on, but the NFL stands to lose quite a bit of money if regular attendance is not going to happen.

Yesterday, NFL insider Ian Rapoport reported that the NFL salary cap could fall by $40 million in 2021

https://www.revengeofthebirds.com/2020/6/5/21280858/nfl-salary-cap-could-drop-by-as-much-as-40-million-in-2021-per-report-az-arizona-cardinals#:~:text=Yesterday%2C NFL insider Ian Rapoport,heading into the 2021 offseason.

It can't drop that much unless all players take a temporary pay cut.

The Bills have $19M cap space so far.

Good points Alf.  By Spotrac, there are no teams that currently have $40 mil. In space.  Cleveland is the only one close at $38 mil. and Washington at $34 mil., so it makes sense in the Arizona article why teams are hesitant to extend their players like Patrick Peterson.  

This is one of many reasons why guys like Clowney and others haven’t been signed.  It’s almost surprising why Chris Jones, and  Miles Garrett received huge deals.  Not because they aren’t the best at their positions, as they are towards the top, just surprising the teams are willing to shell out that much $ during these financially unstable times.

• Like (+1) 1

19 minutes ago, BillsRdue said:

If TV rating drop like a bomb this year, or if some or all of the season is cancelled, then the cap will drop like a rock and crack the thin ice the NFL is standing on.

If games are played, TV ratings will be through the roof.  And if college football doesn't happen, the NFL could recoup a significant portion of the gameday revenue losses.  Although that would mean being unable to evaluate players for the draft.

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Doc said:

If games are played, TV ratings will be through the roof.  And if college football doesn't happen, the NFL could recoup a significant portion of the gameday revenue losses.  Although that would mean being unable to evaluate players for the draft.

yup. And then spread the cap deficit over a few years as tv revenues grow until the new deal shoots them up. There was speculation of $300m cap by about 2025(?) even after all this started.

we will see what happens but I think teams are less worried than fans in the long horizon view 

On 7/16/2020 at 11:52 AM, Doc said:

I initially thought you would be correct but in speaking with friends who are more casual NFL fans or College fans none seem interested in NFL regular season. They always watch the playoffs but I think the people watching the games will not have a huge increase. It is not scientific at all but just a sense of people around me.

2 hours ago, Buffalo Timmy said:

I initially thought you would be correct but in speaking with friends who are more casual NFL fans or College fans none seem interested in NFL regular season. They always watch the playoffs but I think the people watching the games will not have a huge increase. It is not scientific at all but just a sense of people around me.

We'll see.  Increased ratings isn't (as) important, but games on Saturdays is.

On 7/14/2020 at 8:37 PM, Mr. WEO said:

Regardless of a lower "cap" next year, teams would be obligated to honor their contracts.  

If there is not football, there would have to already be agreed upon circumstances in the network contracts allowing them not to pay the NFL for this season.

I could Be wrong here, but regardless of TV contracts, if they try and start the season and get a few weeks in, they’ll still be on the hook for roster bonuses, work out bonuses etc. That part of the contract is independent of TV revenue. A ton of players will get their bonuses. The NFL will probably push to have performance bonuses extrapolated. 

On 7/14/2020 at 9:28 PM, costrovs said:

I get it. Rules are rules.

BUT.....

Hypothetically, if this virus keeps going into January and February and and the playoffs are on the line, you don't think a team will fudge some results for some players?

Maybe a shot of steroids before the game? Just saying.

I never said that.

I said 'This virus will hit 350lb Joe Blow with diabetes in the 300 section a lot harder than any of the NFL players'

You must have missed my PSA in another post from fellow teammate Buffalo native, 4x world champ, world record holder, and olympic gold medalist. Where she hasn’t been back to fork year from February/March (this post was from JULY) and she has teammates with similar or resumes who are doing much worse in terms of measurable performance. 

Sure their elite status might keep them out of an ICU, but it may likely cost them their career. Forgive me for being blunt (or don’t, I don’t care) but get your trash opinion about the effects on elite athletes vs. the general population off of the internet where others might confuse them as facts, and keep them to yourself until there is literally any shred of evidence as to what you are saying is true. 

Reposting: 

My COVID experience:

This is going to be a long post, but I've seen so many people talking about how the age of people infected with COVID has trended downward and that means we're fine. So I thought it was a good time to share my experience with the virus so that people connected to me could read a 1st hand account of the impact of a mild/moderate case of COVID on a young, healthy, fit individual.

In case you don't know me, I am an elite athlete, a 4 time world champion in rowing and I won a gold medal at the 2016 Olympic games. I'm currently training for the Tokyo 2020 Olympics in 2021 now.

Back in March everything was changing so rapidly. The virus started spreading in the Northeast US where our team was training for the Olympics. It was an incredibly stressful time and we were entering our last 2 month stretch of selection. Everything started getting canceled, my dad found out he was going to need surgery and radiation to remover cancer from his face, and officials were insisting that the Olympics would definitely go on as planned. We were told that the Olympics don't get canceled (turns out they can be postponed though).

Our team continued to train following the local guidelines as they rapidly changed throughout March. I was definitely concerned about the virus and what we were hearing was happening in Italy and other countries, however I considered myself and my teammates low risk individuals. I couldn't tell you the last time I was at a bar or another crowded place. Everything I do, especially in the Olympic year is all about recovery and being in the best position I can possibly be in to make the team. So my social circle is really small, almost completely limited to my team and USRowing employees. 

NJ issued a stay at home order on March 21st. Our entire team took ergs and weight lifting equipment home with us and  I started training on my porch. 2 days later we received an email that a USRowing employee that most of our team was in close contact with tested positive for COVID. We were instructed to quarantine for 2 weeks following our last interaction with that employee. I had worked with the employee who at the time was not showing any symptoms 3 days earlier. I started my quarantine and was so thankful that I had done a massive grocery haul a day earlier. 

One by one my teammates (ages 23-37) started showing symptoms of the virus. I didn't think I was having any symptoms, but I did notice that I was having a hard time breathing when the intensity of my workouts started increasing and that I was starting to sleep close to 12 hours a night, but I didn't have a fever. So, at the time I attributed the difficulty breathing to erging outside in the cold and the extra sleep to the fact that the Olympics had just been postponed and my entire focus for the last four years was no longer close to 100 days away.

As most of my teammates started to recover from their acute COVID symptoms, I started noticing a fever on April 1st. That was Day 12 of my quarantine. Our team doctor told us to look out for anything over 99.0 because their practice had seen people testing positive with fevers as low as 99.0. On the night of Day 12 I had a baby fever of 99.2, so I texted our team Dr. to let him know. 

I genuinely thought it was unlikely that I had COVID because typically people were showing symptoms days 4-5 after exposure. So I thought that the elevated temperature was probably just a fluke. The next morning I woke up, I felt great, and I never had a fever that entire day. 

Friday April 3rd was a completely different story. I slept over 12 hours that night and when I woke up it was painful to breathe and my entire body ached like I had done something really wrong while I was practicing the day before. That day my fever ranged from about 100.4-101.7. I couldn't walk up a flight of stairs without needing to sit down and take a nap. Not only did I sleep for 12 hours that night, but I also took a 3 hour nap. I was too weak to make myself food that entire day until I forced myself to make pancakes that night because I knew I had to eat something.

The next night I slept for 12 hours again. It was still painful to breath and I was still extremely exhausted and unable to do simple household tasks. Thankfully, though, my body aches were gone that day.

These were the 2 days where I had the worst symptoms, but just because these symptoms improved after 2 days doesn't mean I was fully recovered from COVID. It took the rest of April for me to be able to train normally again. 

I took 4 days off from training while I was sick and in hindsight I wish I had given myself the freedom to take more days off if I needed them. 

When I first started trying to work out again I tried doing a 30 minute jog. My heart rate was really high and I felt like I was running through water. The jog was meant to be light and a small attempt to get my body moving again, but it was so difficult I had to stop after 20 minutes. I am used to doing workouts that range from 80-120 minutes. I don't give up easily and I was just near my peak closing in on final selection for the Olympics. Now I couldn't even jog/walk for 30 minutes. 

The next day I tried an easy erg. The best way I can describe what I was feeling is when you crash and burn on a workout because you didn't fuel your body properly. My legs felt fine, but I felt physically faint and shaky and not ready to do the workout. I completed the workout by taking one stroke at a time and allowing myself to be as slow as I needed to be.

The entire month of April was a big struggle for me to workout. Things improved to where I was able to workout consistently, but I had to go 10-15 splits slower that I normally would on easy workouts to control my heart rate and make it through workouts. And for reference, 10-15 splits is a ton, that basically meant I was erging at a pace of an average high school girl. I still didn't feel like myself and always felt like I was carrying 50 extra pounds when I was working out. 

Things didn't really improve until I went for a run the morning of  May 2nd. All of a sudden I felt light and like I was in my own body again. It felt like a complete 180. While I felt normal in my body again, it has been a long journey to get back into shape. As of today, over 3 months after my symptoms went away, I am working on getting back into the shape I was in in early February and March before all of the setbacks. While it only ? took me a month to feel like I was in my own body again, I have teammates who were dealing with complications from COVID for over 2 months.

So if you don't think the virus is that big of a deal because you are young, healthy, or fit, please consider my story. My guess is that my teammates and I are at a minimum healthier and fitter than most of you and it knocked many of us down hard. I have personally never experienced any other illness like this. I have never been knocked off of my feet for an entire month before.

Please wear a mask to protect yourself and the people around you. I am hoping to donate blood plasma to help a person in need. 

We're all in this together and the more we can do small things the sooner our lives can get back to something resembling normal again.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

Latest NFL economic proposal cuts team player costs by $40M

The latest economic proposal from the NFL to the NFLPA regarding the effects of COVID-19 during the 2020 season removes a portion of player salary held in escrow, however, it does call for a cut to each team's player costs.

NFL Network's Tom Pelissero reported Thursday night that the NFL has proposed cutting each team's player costs by $40 million in salary cap and/or benefits for this season, per sources informed of the situation. That move replaces a previous proposal that called for 35 percent of player salaries be held in escrow to aid in managing costs.

Also under the current proposal any player who wishes to opt out of the 2020 season may do so with written notice by Aug. 1.

What happens if no deal is struck on economics? A projected multibillion revenue shortfall in 2020 would be accounted for in 2021, causing the salary cap to drop by in the range of $50 million to $70 million per club. League wants a deal done before camp. Union in no rush.

https://www.nfl.com/news/latest-nfl-economic-proposal-cuts-team-player-costs-by-40m

Edited by ALF

On 7/14/2020 at 9:59 PM, costrovs said:

Really?

Spygate? Deflategate? Fudging numbers, results, etc.. lt happens all the time.

Just because you don't hear about it, doesn't mean it doesn't happen.

You don't think other teams do this type of stuff?

The symptoms are similar to the flu. If a player feels fine, but tests positive, BOOM! Shot of roids and back into the game.

Welcome to the real world of sports.

So your describing the patriots I see..

Do you really think a player will continue to play after testing positive? If so you must think these guys are dumb as a post. 

No matter anyway, the odds of a season happening are pretty small at this point. This whole topic is moot point really, as the virus continues spread rapidly. Folk should thinking of  an alternative hobby for a year or so. 

7 hours ago, Mango said:

I could Be wrong here, but regardless of TV contracts, if they try and start the season and get a few weeks in, they’ll still be on the hook for roster bonuses, work out bonuses etc. That part of the contract is independent of TV revenue. A ton of players will get their bonuses. The NFL will probably push to have performance bonuses extrapolated. 

There were no workouts/OTAs from April to June so those bonuses are already gone.

Roster bonuses would remain. 

5 hours ago, ALF said:

Latest NFL economic proposal cuts team player costs by $40M

The latest economic proposal from the NFL to the NFLPA regarding the effects of COVID-19 during the 2020 season removes a portion of player salary held in escrow, however, it does call for a cut to each team's player costs.

NFL Network's Tom Pelissero reported Thursday night that the NFL has proposed cutting each team's player costs by $40 million in salary cap and/or benefits for this season, per sources informed of the situation. That move replaces a previous proposal that called for 35 percent of player salaries be held in escrow to aid in managing costs.

Also under the current proposal any player who wishes to opt out of the 2020 season may do so with written notice by Aug. 1.

What happens if no deal is struck on economics? A projected multibillion revenue shortfall in 2020 would be accounted for in 2021, causing the salary cap to drop by in the range of $50 million to $70 million per club. League wants a deal done before camp. Union in no rush.

https://www.nfl.com/news/latest-nfl-economic-proposal-cuts-team-player-costs-by-40m

Should have taken the escrow deal.

That union is a perennial mess. 

12 hours ago, Mango said:

NFLPA is one who tries to get performance bonuses extrapolated. NFL only wants to pay for those achieved.

NFL will try to get them awarded to proportion of game played.

• Like (+1) 1

@Mango  Yup, I missed the post from July. Thanks for the read.

Sure their elite status might keep them out of an ICU, but it may likely cost them their career. Forgive me for being blunt (or don’t, I don’t care) but get your trash opinion about the effects on elite athletes vs. the general population off of the internet where others might confuse them as facts, and keep them to yourself until there is literally any shred of evidence as to what you are saying is true.

Well, you kinda just agreed with me by posting the story.

2nd sentence in.

So I thought it was a good time to share my experience with the virus so that people connected to me could read a 1st hand account of the impact of a mild/moderate case of COVID on a young, healthy, fit individual.

And again at the bottom.

So if you don't think the virus is that big of a deal because you are young, healthy, or fit, please consider my story. My guess is that my teammates and I are at a minimum healthier and fitter than most of you and it knocked many of us down hard. I have personally never experienced any other illness like this. I have never been knocked off of my feet for an entire month before.

Here 's a shred of evidence to show that what I'm saying is true.

Fact: The government said the virus effects older and younger population(under 3 or whatever) and people with diabetes the hardest.

(huh... must have something to do with there poor immune systems)

Fact: Working out helps boost your immune system.

Fact: The general population doesn't work out multiple times a week and/or take vitamins/supplements on a daily basis(ok, I don't have actual proof to back this up with, but I figured if you just go outside and look around then you'll agree).

So based on that story, and those first 2 facts, she/they would have been hit harder with the virus had they not been athletes.

I understand that this isn't the flu or the cold, but it's not cancer either.

@Don Otreply I was more so describing all teams in all sports than just the pats. All the cheating/lies and BS that happens. That post was actually made the day before we got this news about the Washington Redskins. Go figure.

6 hours ago, Don Otreply said:

So your describing the patriots I see..

Do you really think a player will continue to play after testing positive? If so you must think these guys are dumb as a post. 

No matter anyway, the odds of a season happening are pretty small at this point. This whole topic is moot point really, as the virus continues spread rapidly. Folk should thinking of  an alternative hobby for a year or so. 

Like posting elsewhere?

2 hours ago, costrovs said:

@Mango  Yup, I missed the post from July. Thanks for the read.

Well, you kinda just agreed with me by posting the story.

2nd sentence in.

So I thought it was a good time to share my experience with the virus so that people connected to me could read a 1st hand account of the impact of a mild/moderate case of COVID on a young, healthy, fit individual.

And again at the bottom.

Here 's a shred of evidence to show that what I'm saying is true.

Fact: The government said the virus effects older and younger population(under 3 or whatever) and people with diabetes the hardest.

(huh... must have something to do with there poor immune systems)

Fact: Working out helps boost your immune system.

Fact: The general population doesn't work out multiple times a week and/or take vitamins/supplements on a daily basis(ok, I don't have actual proof to back this up with, but I figured if you just go outside and look around then you'll agree).

So based on that story, and those first 2 facts, she/they would have been hit harder with the virus had they not been athletes.

I understand that this isn't the flu or the cold, but it's not cancer either.

@Don Otreply I was more so describing all teams in all sports than just the pats. All the cheating/lies and BS that happens. That post was actually made the day before we got this news about the Washington Redskins. Go figure.

I quoted the wrong post from you. I meant to refer to your post about it not effecting elite athletes much. That’s false. If the Olympics were held this summer, Emily would most likely not make the team let alone win. That’s a gigantic effect it’s been months and multiple members of team USA have not been able to perform to standard. 

But sure they’re not in the ICU....

17 minutes ago, Mango said:

I quoted the wrong post from you. I meant to refer to your post about it not effecting elite athletes much. That’s false. If the Olympics were held this summer, Emily would most likely not make the team let alone win. That’s a gigantic effect it’s been months and multiple members of team USA have not been able to perform to standard. 

But sure they’re not in the ICU....

Yeah, I remember when everyone was talking about the Olympics. That was quite a while ago too. It's all just crazy.

On 7/16/2020 at 5:17 AM, machine gun kelly said:

Good points Alf.  By Spotrac, there are no teams that currently have $40 mil. In space.  Cleveland is the only one close at $38 mil. and Washington at $34 mil., so it makes sense in the Arizona article why teams are hesitant to extend their players like Patrick Peterson.  

This is one of many reasons why guys like Clowney and others haven’t been signed.  It’s almost surprising why Chris Jones, and  Miles Garrett received huge deals.  Not because they aren’t the best at their positions, as they are towards the top, just surprising the teams are willing to shell out that much $ during these financially unstable times.

I have to assume they are assuming (that’s a LOT of assuming going on!) that this loss of revenue will somehow be spread over 5-10 years. Right? 

• Like (+1) 1

4 hours ago, Limeaid said:

NFLPA is one who tries to get performance bonuses extrapolated. NFL only wants to pay for those achieved.

NFL will try to get them awarded to proportion of game played.

Right, I get that. But I think it they try and start the season and make the 53 man roster, teams will still be on the hook for roster bonuses and work out bonuses. Different than performance.

I get what the NFL will try and do regarding performance bonuses. I’m not an attorney, just a dude with an opinion on the internet, but I’d guess if it went to court performance bonuses will end up prorated.