Trump's railing about schools reopening, so might as well talk about it

1 hour ago, Buffalo Timmy said:

I am not shy about telling anyone who will listen I am a teacher, but you did tell me I don't respect teachers. 

It's the broad sentiment on this board and considering your posting and often heightened animosity towards me, I probably just lumped you in with the rest.

I apologize.

1 hour ago, Buffalo Timmy said:

As for your obstacles, admin and parents can always be an issue, especially when it is not applied across the board. If everyone is told for the get go what the expectations are and the punishment then it can happen. How does your school deal with weapons and drugs? The problems generally come from the policy not being applied equally 

It's more than that with your proposal though.

Weapons and drugs are easy because they're visible and tangible and require no judgment call from anyone.

You propose that teachers gauge the intention of the students, not the action.

Even I'm not comfortable doing that and I really do feel I have a good barometer for student intention in the classroom.

With your proposal:

Student accidentally sneezes in direction of another student.

No consequence.

Student Intentionally sneezes in direction of another student.

Student is suspended.

But first teacher has to determine intention and then Admin has to hear both student and teacher story (because I don't know what kind of Admin you have but this is the way my school works, even if the Admin nearly always backs the teacher) and then Admin determines action.

You don't see the serious problems with that?

Edited by transplantbillsfan
  • Haha (+1) 1

40 minutes ago, Wacka said:

How old are you? You were talking  about your older colleagues  being obese, tired  and worn out. Wait a few years you will be  there. You seem to be young and full  of piss and vinegar. We all were at one time.  Uour job is to teach  the students how to read, spell and be exposed to the classic literature, not indoctrinate them to your world view.  That is their parents job and if you don't like it, too bad.

I'm 39 and love my job more and more every year. It's a job I knew I wanted to go into from 9th grade and I never wavered.

I'm also in great health because eat well, I surf a few times a week on average and I exercise.

So I appreciate the heads up on my physical and emotional well-being, but I'm good, thanks. :beer:

And what the hell are you ranting on about at the end there?

Did Donald Trump personally hand you his talking points?

• Haha (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

2 hours ago, transplantbillsfan said:

It's the broad sentiment on this board and considering your posting and often heightened animosity towards me, I probably just lumped you in with the rest.

Do you mean with the rest of the unedjurcated masses this board?

And what the hell are you ranting on about at the end there?

Most teachers with your viewpoints (liberal)  inject them in what they are teaching the kids.especially history.  Maybe you don't,  but most do. Like Joe Friday said, "Just the Facts."

my niece is a high school teacher who will work her butt off to be there for her students because she CARES about them, their future and her chosen profession. I think teachers overall would never have undertaken the job if not for a calling to do so. It's certainly not the high pay that draws them. Her work load will likely double on top of already strapped school budgets which hamper them to the tune of she buying her own classroom supplies at times. I know this is anecdotal but her profession is so important to her she will attend classes at her school as mandated by her bosses and without complaint. She is young and healthy. I will pray she and her students remain healthy. 

Other teachers I know aren't as willing to go back as she is wether it be to co-morbidities or other reasons. I respect them all to the highest no matter where they fall on this issue.

• Awesome! (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

10 minutes ago, Wacka said:

Most teachers with your viewpoints (liberal)  inject them in what they are teaching the kids.especially history.  Maybe you don't,  but most do. Like Joe Friday said, "Just the Facts."

As long as the facts are sugar coated to your taste right?

• Haha (+1) 1

21 minutes ago, Wacka said:

I teach English, not History.

Are you saying you sit in every single classroom across the country with liberal teachers and are aware of how they teach and what they teach?

giphy.gif

• Haha (+1) 1

8 hours ago, transplantbillsfan said:

Can't read your tone here very well, but our school alone had a small Summer School with some in-class learning and there was a Covid-19 case in that session that was big news in the community.

In the news today it said that about 1 in 4 teachers fall under the "at-risk" category.

I mistyped and meant fall 2019 standard operating procedure.  I think you'll find that once you get back in the building a little bit of that fear will be removed and you'll quickly go back to the way things were.

41 minutes ago, Doc Brown said:

I mistyped and meant fall 2019 standard operating procedure.  I think you'll find that once you get back in the building a little bit of that fear will be removed and you'll quickly go back to the way things were.

See I'm not actually afraid.

Other teachers are, though.

And I think those teachers are going to want to get the heck out the classroom fully once there are a few cases that pop up in our school.

• Haha (+1) 1

6 hours ago, Wacka said:

How old are you? You were talking  about your older colleagues  being obese, tired  and worn out. Wait a few years you will be  there. You seem to be young and full  of piss and vinegar. We all were at one time.  Uour job is to teach  the students how to read, spell and be exposed to the classic literature, not indoctrinate them to your world view.  That is their parents job and if you don't like it, too bad.

How old are you?

Lol the influencers must have gotten some serious marching orders to rail for kids not going back to school

make america stupid. i guess it fits in well with the idiotic blm BS going on.

Never thought i'd see the day where people with bullhorns are trying to to cancel police AND school.

^%$#ing idiotic $%%holes.

3 minutes ago, Unforgiven said:

Lol the influencers must have gotten some serious marching orders to rail for kids not going back to school

make america stupid. i guess it fits in well with the idiotic blm BS going on.

Never thought i'd see the day where people with bullhorns are trying to to cancel police AND school.

^%$#ing idiotic $%%holes.

Well you’re not too bright so no one is surprised 

See I'm not actually afraid.

Other teachers are, though.

And I think those teachers are going to want to get the heck out the classroom fully once there are a few cases that pop up in our school.

I realize that.  My wife's a teacher and she's not apprehensive as she's middle aged and healthy but some of her coworkers are.  Some older teachers in her district are retiring early because they're in the "at risk" age range.  Schools have reopened across Europe though and pretty successfully for the most part with some common sense social distancing measures in place.  It's going to be a trial and error experiment in each district but keeping kids home shouldn't be an option unless there's a severe outbreak given the current evidence we have.  My biggest problem with allowing home schooling has always been the lack of interaction they have with other students so it would be hypocritical of me to say kids should be forced to learn from home until there's a vaccine.  Other professions are taking a risk in going back to work.  Why should it be different for teachers?  

• Thank you (+1) 1