Thomas Sowell - Quote of the Day

dubs

3 minutes ago, Tiberius said:

Economist Thomas Sowell on Monday compared the tariffs implemented during the Great Depression to President Donald Trump’s aluminum and steel duties.

“The Smoot Hawley tariffs of 1930 had a lot more to do with the Great Depression than the stock market,” Sowell told FOX Business’ Neil Cavuto on “Cavuto: Coast to Coast.” “Unemployment was nowhere near as low the first year after the stock market as it was in the first five months after those tariffs went in. During the Great Depression in the 1930s, we had trade surpluses, but it didn’t do us a bit of good.”

Earlier this month, the president announced that the United States will impose a 25% tariff on steel and 10% on aluminum. There is also speculation that the president is considering imposing broad tariffs on imports from China.

“Conceivably, a catastrophic mistake depends on how far he wants to push it,” Sowell said.

Globalism is dead. It's time you got used to the idea because that is how it is.

7 minutes ago, Tiberius said:

Economist Thomas Sowell on Monday compared the tariffs implemented during the Great Depression to President Donald Trump’s aluminum and steel duties.

“The Smoot Hawley tariffs of 1930 had a lot more to do with the Great Depression than the stock market,” Sowell told FOX Business’ Neil Cavuto on “Cavuto: Coast to Coast.” “Unemployment was nowhere near as low the first year after the stock market as it was in the first five months after those tariffs went in. During the Great Depression in the 1930s, we had trade surpluses, but it didn’t do us a bit of good.”

Earlier this month, the president announced that the United States will impose a 25% tariff on steel and 10% on aluminum. There is also speculation that the president is considering imposing broad tariffs on imports from China.

“Conceivably, a catastrophic mistake depends on how far he wants to push it,” Sowell said.

So, Sowell isn't a hack? Do you only respect black people when they say or do things you approve of?

• Haha (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, billsfan1959 said:

So, Sowell isn't a hack? Do you only respect black people when they say or do things you approve of?

That sounds like you, you only respect people if they spew right wing propaganda. 

Nice to see Sowell thinks Trump's economics has a bad historical record. Sowell isn't a stupid isolationist either, something else going for him 

• Haha (+1) 1

Just now, Tiberius said:

That sounds like you, you only respect people if they spew right wing propaganda. 

Nice to see Sowell thinks Trump's economics has a bad historical record. Sowell isn't a stupid isolationist either, something else going for him 

I take this as a"yes"

6 minutes ago, Tiberius said:

Sowell doesn't agree with this garbage  

same 

Sowell doesn't have a vote on the issue. Free trade and globalism are over. You haven't been paying attention to current trends have you.

Edited by Reality Check

3 minutes ago, Reality Check said:

Sowell doesn't have a vote on the issue. Free trade and globalism are over. You haven't been paying attention to current trends have you.

I think free trade and globalism are dead as they were conceived in NAFTA and other deals in 90's and prior decades. Obviously China is not a good partner, which we should have recognized under W Bush. The new version must be American rights centered because the other counties will steal from us without thought if we do not give them consequences.

• Like (+1) 2

9 minutes ago, Tiberius said:

@billsfan1959Is he right? 

Try thinking for yourself. The EU is going to disintegrate soon also. I am sure you have a problem with that concept too.

8 minutes ago, Buffalo Timmy said:

I think free trade and globalism are dead as they were conceived in NAFTA and other deals in 90's and prior decades. Obviously China is not a good partner, which we should have recognized under W Bush. The new version must be American rights centered because the other counties will steal from us without thought if we do not give them consequences.

I agree. There is free trade because of the Breton Woods agreement. We sold the world on geography no longer being a limit to trade and supply chains because we guaranteed the safety and security of shipping vessels. That was security policy for us, not an economic policy. Once we start pulling back our safety nets at the cost of American blood, many of these nations will suffer big time.

Edited by Reality Check

On 6/21/2020 at 12:23 PM, dubs said:

6/21/20

I need to check this guy out it looks as though he gets it and isn't just following the show to whatever end it wants ! Most things mentioned in the media fit the narrative .

No matter what happens you can't change history but it would be great if we all learned from it . I heard that now some of these groups want the name of Columbus Ohio changed to Flavor Town ? Really ?

What will be enough to appease change will we have to completely erase any bad thing that happened in history to live in a utopian society ? I'm all for change but at what cost ? 

Winston Churchill said "A Nation that does not remember it's past has no future" some in this country don't remember or believe that the Holocaust was real but what person would make up a story like that ?

You can learn a lot if you keep your eyes & ears open and to a point your mouth shut then do you due diligence and study history in more than 1 place to come up with the truth because there are some that twist that truth to their benefit ! 

Young people today are being told what only a few would have them believe I pray they as individuals would think and learn as such instead of being led as sheep . 

20 minutes ago, T master said:

I need to check this guy out it looks as though he gets it and isn't just following the show to whatever end it wants ! Most things mentioned in the media fit the narrative .

No matter what happens you can't change history but it would be great if we all learned from it . I heard that now some of these groups want the name of Columbus Ohio changed to Flavor Town ? Really ?

What will be enough to appease change will we have to completely erase any bad thing that happened in history to live in a utopian society ? I'm all for change but at what cost ? 

Winston Churchill said "A Nation that does not remember it's past has no future" some in this country don't remember or believe that the Holocaust was real but what person would make up a story like that ?

You can learn a lot if you keep your eyes & ears open and to a point your mouth shut then do you due diligence and study history in more than 1 place to come up with the truth because there are some that twist that truth to their benefit ! 

Young people today are being told what only a few would have them believe I pray they as individuals would think and learn as such instead of being led as sheep . 

I found Thomas Sowell and Walter Williams about 20 years ago and they are both brilliant. I disagree sometimes but they alway make me think, which few do anymore.

• Like (+1) 2

The point TS makes on tariffs is fair. It’s worth a discussion, but that’s not Tib’s point. His point was to try and back people into a corner with a false binary of Sowell or Trump. 

Once again it failed miserably because it’s an absurd choice. Unlike the NPCs on the left, most people realize that you can agree with or support some things and at the same time disagree with other things. 

What he did show is how absurd the Trump obsession he and other NPCs have actually is. Trump is not and never will be the voice for all that are not on the left. Rather, free thinking citizens agree with him on some things, disagree on others, but mostly realize the focus on him is a tool to divide and conquer. 

Edited by dubs
  • Like (+1) 3

2 minutes ago, Tiberius said:

That’s all he is saying, Democrats are bad. The leaders of that party just want to help themselves and not any of the people. So vote Republican. 

Yes, thank you, name 1, just 1 democrat who spoke out against rioting, tearing down statues, I'll wait.

2 minutes ago, Tiberius said:

That’s all he is saying, Democrats are bad. The leaders of that party just want to help themselves and not any of the people. So vote Republican. 

I think he's more on the side of don't be blindly beholden to a party just because of your skin tone. I doubt he cares who anyone votes for.

• Like (+1) 1

5 minutes ago, BuffaloHokie13 said:

I think he's more on the side of don't be blindly beholden to a party just because of your skin tone. I doubt he cares who anyone votes for.

So he makes a living telling blacks not to vote Democrat. Paid writer 

8 minutes ago, BuffaloHokie13 said:

No, he tells people to think for themselves, as far as I can tell. If that works against the democrats there are bigger problems. 

I don’t think it works at all against Democrats, but it is meant to. Don’t really see black voters moving for Trump, the GOP or getting rid of social programs. He is a right wing operative, pure and simple 

• Like (+1) 1

7 minutes ago, Tiberius said:

I don’t think it works at all against Democrats, but it is meant to. Don’t really see black voters moving for Trump, the GOP or getting rid of social programs. He is a right wing operative, pure and simple 

Staying with the Democratic Party has done wonders for the black communities in this country....

Edited by billsfan1959
  • Like (+1) 2

LOL............I have seen a lot of funny things in my day,

But Tibsy arguing economics with Thomas Sowell.............It doesn't get any more ridiculous than that.

av7PjjX_460s.jpg

• Like (+1) 2
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

17 minutes ago, billsfan1959 said:

Staying with the Democratic Party has done wonders for the black communities in this country....

The civil rights act, voting rights act, representation in the government, growth of black middle class, jobs open to them that use to be closed, educational opportunities, loans that they could have never gotten before, housing assistance etc. 

Ya, nothing, rolls eyes 

Just now, B-Man said:

LOL............I have seen a lot of funny things in my day,

But Tibsy arguing economics with Thomas Sowell.............It doesn't get any more ridiculous than that.

av7PjjX_460s.jpg

Racism is preferential treatment, Democrats have been very successful at making things way more equal. Sowell has argued for years again the Great Society, the very thing that gave blacks the right to vote. 

And Medicare and SS have lifted the elderly out of poverty. Doubt he will give credit where credit is due 

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, Tiberius said:

The civil rights act, voting rights act, representation in the government, growth of black middle class, jobs open to them that use to be closed, educational opportunities, loans that they could have never gotten before, housing assistance etc. 

Ya, nothing, rolls eyes 

Yep, black communites are doing great: highest poverty rates, highest unemployment rates, lowest ownership rates, highest violent crime rates, etc., etc.

They should all be on their knees thanking the Democratic party....

1 minute ago, billsfan1959 said:

Yep, black communites are doing great: highest poverty rates, highest unemployment rates, lowest ownership rates, highest violent crime rates, etc., etc.

They should all be on their knees thanking the Democratic party....

And rural trailer park areas are bad in Republican areas, so what? 

The cities are driving our economy, the rural areas are not. 

• Like (+1) 1

43 minutes ago, Tiberius said:

You could not be more condescending to one of the most brilliant men on the planet if you tried. I used to hear him on the radio every once in a while I think he was the one who told this story. While working in DC around the year 2000 he was at a party with a bunch of DC policy wonks who were all trying to one up each other. The discussion turned to a book about economics and poverty where these liberal men all professed their understanding of the book and what it meant. At no point did they ask him his name since none of them could have cared who he was and dismissed his opinion multiple times about the point of book. At the end of the night he told the guys who dismissed him he wrote the book they were discussing and they got most of what he wanted to convey wrong. I see you being one of these dudes Tibs.

• Like (+1) 1

Just now, Buffalo Timmy said:

You could not be more condescending to one of the most brilliant men on the planet if you tried. I used to hear him on the radio every once in a while I think he was the one who told this story. While working in DC around the year 2000 he was at a party with a bunch of DC policy wonks who were all trying to one up each other. The discussion turned to a book about economics and poverty where these liberal men all professed their understanding of the book and what it meant. At no point did they ask him his name since none of them could have cared who he was and dismissed his opinion multiple times about the point of book. At the end of the night he told the guys who dismissed him he wrote the book they were discussing and they got most of what he wanted to convey wrong. I see you being one of these dudes Tibs.

You are not suppose to work with a brutal, murderous dictator to win an election. If you want to find out if a candidate was working with Putin, that is totally fair game 

3 minutes ago, Tiberius said:

That wasn't the point. Whenever you get backed into a corner of no longer being able to actually defend your position, you just change topics or resort to personal insults...

• Like (+1) 1

4 minutes ago, Tiberius said:

You are not suppose to work with a brutal, murderous dictator to win an election. If you want to find out if a candidate was working with Putin, that is totally fair game 

Your accusation of "working with" Putin is the problem, Obama worked with the Russians also not to mention his love of Castro who murdered anyone who slowed him down at all. Once again you are showing that you expect more out of Conservative s than liberals 

On 6/24/2020 at 11:46 AM, Tiberius said:

Now you believe him???

15 minutes ago, Buffalo Timmy said:

Except it would have taken place in a laundromat 

26 minutes ago, Tiberius said:

Typical lib tactics,   when losing very badly in an argument, bring something in from left field. In this case Putin. Like throwing snowballs at a tank.

• Haha (+1) 1

5 hours ago, Tiberius said:

Ya, nothing, rolls eyes 

Racism is preferential treatment, Democrats have been very successful at making things way more equal. Sowell has argued for years again the Great Society, the very thing that gave blacks the right to vote. 

And Medicare and SS have lifted the elderly out of poverty. Doubt he will give credit where credit is due 

LBJ gave blacks the right to vote? Maybe we can find room for his likeness on Mt. Rushmore. 

7 hours ago, Tiberius said:

The cities are driving our economy, the rural areas are not. 

There are numerous hard core Red counties in southwestern NY and northwestern PA where living in a ramshackle trailer park is considered "lower middle class".  I'm sure there are many similar economically depressed rural areas all through the US, but those are areas I know first hand.   Still, rural folks keep buying the bullcrap the Republicans are selling.

Edited by SoTier
  • Like (+1) 1

8 hours ago, Tiberius said:

Thomas Sowell is an American economist and social theorist who is currently a senior fellow at the Hoover Institution at Stanford University.

Sowell was born in North Carolina but grew up in Harlem, New York. He dropped out of Stuyvesant High School and served in the United States Marine Corps during the Korean War.

He received a bachelor's degree, graduating magna ***** laude from Harvard University in 1958 and a master's degree from Columbia University in 1959. In 1968, he earned his doctorate in economics from the University of Chicago.

Sowell has served on the faculties of several universities, including Cornell University and University of California, Los Angeles.

He has also worked for think tanks such as the Urban Institute. Since 1980, he has worked at the Hoover Institution at Stanford University.

He writes from a libertarian conservative perspective. Sowell has written more than thirty books (a number of which have been reprinted in revised editions), and his work has been widely anthologized.

He is a National Humanities Medal recipient for innovative scholarship which incorporated history, economics and political science.

I think that I will name that Tiberius's Dumbest Quote of the Day

• Awesome! (+1) 2