Thomas Sowell - Quote of the Day

dubs

1 minute ago, dubs said:

6/21/20

Thomas Sowell: "The other 99 percent of black lives destroyed by people who are not police do not seem to attract nearly as much attention in the media."

I thought, from the national narrative right now, and from voices right here on this forum, that this is a racist view...

• Like (+1) 1

18 hours ago, dubs said:

I can’t promise I’ll do this everyday, but it’s worth a look. 

6/20/20

Don’t listen to racial leaders? Is he saying don’t listen to black people? Or is he talking about Trump the white nationalist? 

7 minutes ago, dubs said:

6/21/20

You have to have political power to make change. 

This guy guy is a total hack 

2 minutes ago, Tiberius said:

Don’t listen to racial leaders? Is he saying don’t listen to black people? Or is he talking about Trump the white nationalist? 

Yeah, he probably has no idea what the black experience in this country is like....

• Sad 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, Tiberius said:

Seriously? Did you really just call Thomas Sowell a hack?

14 minutes ago, billsfan1959 said:

Thomas Sowell: "The other 99 percent of black lives destroyed by people who are not police do not seem to attract nearly as much attention in the media."

I thought, from the national narrative right now, and from voices right here on this forum, that this is a racist view...

Sowell doesn't buy into the sensationalism and neither should we.

This PPP forum seems to love it, though.

16 minutes ago, Tiberius said:

He's referring to leaders who are predominantly driven by racial and ethnic motives and mandates. And particularly uneducated leaders.

Just now, LeGOATski said:

No, we shouldn't. However, a lot of people do and their voices are drowning out the reasonable voices right now through fear, intimidation, shaming, etc. All of which does nothing but prohibit honest dialogue.

You have to be the decision maker in order to make the change. Sowell knows that and he believes in the liberty we're granted to elect the decision makers we feel will make the right changes.

That's where the special combination of factors comes in. Who will be sufficiently educated, have the right motives, become the decision maker, and be able to motivate the mob all at the same time.

1 minute ago, billsfan1959 said:

No, we shouldn't. However, a lot of people do and their voices are drowning out the reasonable voices right now through fear, intimidation, shaming, etc. All of which does nothing but prohibit honest dialogue.

and we elected a leader who encourages all of that, as well

It's a constant back and forth that requires real leadership to break free from.

1 minute ago, LeGOATski said:

You have to be the decision maker in order to make the change. Sowell knows that and he believes in the liberty we're granted to elect the decision makers we feel will make the right changes.

That's where the special combination of factors comes in. Who will be sufficiently educated, have the right motives, become the decision maker, and be able to motivate the mob all at the same time.

Unfortunately, for the black race in this country, they have put their votes (overwhelmingly) behind the same people and the same party, year after year, after year, after year.....

And they have allowed the same "Black Leaders" to speak for them year after year, after year, after year....

14 minutes ago, LeGOATski said:

and we elected a leader who encourages all of that, as well

It's a constant back and forth that requires real leadership to break free from.

There didn't seem to be any improvement for black communities or much honest dialogue under Obama either.

• Awesome! (+1) 1

10 minutes ago, billsfan1959 said:

Unfortunately, for the black race in this country, they have put their votes (overwhelmingly) behind the same people and the same party, year after year, after year, after year.....

And they have allowed the same "Black Leaders" to speak for them year after year, after year, after year....

There didn't seem to be any improvement for black communities or much honest dialogue under Obama either.

yeah, I was telling my wife this the other day that Obama has really fallen short in this particular area. I mean....he seemed to check all of those important boxes I listed. Maybe his motives eventually were skewed. Or maybe the system is at a point now where one man simply cannot make the type of difference they used to. Like you said, the good leaders can be easily drowned out.

Freedom has cost too much blood and agony to be relinquished at the cheap price of rhetoric.

-Thomas Sowell

Too much of what is called 'education' is little more than an expensive isolation from reality.

-Thomas Sowell

Mystical references to society and its programs to help may warm the hearts of the gullible but

what it really means is putting more power in the hands of bureaucrats.

-Thomas Sowell

Life in general has never been even close to fair, so the pretense that the government can make it fair

is a valuable and inexhaustible asset to politicians who want to expand government.

-Thomas Sowell

Although the big word on the left is 'compassion,' the big agenda on the left is dependency.

-Thomas Sowell
Read more at https://www.brainyquote.com/authors/thomas-sowell-quotes_3

Edited by CarpetCrawler
  • Like (+1) 2
  • Awesome! (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 2

1 hour ago, LeGOATski said:

He's referring to leaders who are predominantly driven by racial and ethnic motives and mandates. And particularly uneducated leaders.

Like who? 

11 minutes ago, dubs said:

6/22/20

He has been selling this nonsense for decades. His “back when the ghetto was a paradise” argument is pretty silly. The black middle class has vastly expanded since black people were given basic civil rights. He is seriously trying to argue that making life not so terrible ruined an oppressed people. Just stupid. 

As to the the fact that families are not as strong as they once were and just saying it’s all about welfare is just a political argument, nothing more. Many historical factors have led to the supposed “tragedy” of single parent families. Had there been jobs in the inner city, had blacks had access to jobs, housing and transportation outside their neighborhoods the sacred family might have survived better. 

And single parent families are not the civilization killers the right is trying to make them out to be. 

16 minutes ago, Tiberius said:

...And single parent families are not the civilization killers the right is trying to make them out to be. 

Tibs again proving  what a low IQ asshat he is.

• Like (+1) 2

11 minutes ago, Wacka said:

Tibs again proving  what a low IQ asshat he is.

A rock moved on the ground. Then it moved again, and out popped the head of Wacka to vomit out a "thought." That done, the head disappeared, the rock was pulled back and gone was Wacka to contemplate the meaning of it all for another day. 

55 minutes ago, Tiberius said:

He has been selling this nonsense for decades. His “back when the ghetto was a paradise” argument is pretty silly. The black middle class has vastly expanded since black people were given basic civil rights. He is seriously trying to argue that making life not so terrible ruined an oppressed people. Just stupid. 

As to the the fact that families are not as strong as they once were and just saying it’s all about welfare is just a political argument, nothing more. Many historical factors have led to the supposed “tragedy” of single parent families. Had there been jobs in the inner city, had blacks had access to jobs, housing and transportation outside their neighborhoods the sacred family might have survived better. 

And single parent families are not the civilization killers the right is trying to make them out to be. 

You should have been thrilled with Trump's fantastic drop in unemployment numbers for Blacks & Hispanics then.  

• Like (+1) 2

14 minutes ago, BuffaloHokie13 said:

Interestingly enough, it appears to echo a point made by Malcolm X.

It is even more true today. The black communities in this country are being betrayed by the very people who scream the loudest at having their best interests at heart.

Just now, billsfan1959 said:

It is even more true today. The black communities in this country are being betrayed by the very people who scream the loudest at having their best interests at heart.

I've been studying more of Malcolm with the current events, and I find I relate and understand a lot of his points.

• Like (+1) 1

21 minutes ago, BuffaloHokie13 said:

Interestingly enough, it appears to echo a point made by Malcolm X.

That almost describes Thomas Sowell to a tee, except that it's Conservatives who are subsidizing and supporting him. 

You see that? 

7 minutes ago, billsfan1959 said:

Which black leaders are you talking about? 

• Haha (+1) 1

1 minute ago, BuffaloHokie13 said:

I've been studying more of Malcolm with the current events, and I find I relate and understand a lot of his points.

The autobiography by Alex Haley is one of the best books I've read on Malcom X. I respect his views and the fact that, by every indication, he lived what he preached.

5 minutes ago, Tiberius said:

Which black leaders are you talking about? 

I didn't say just black leaders. I also include many white politicians who are self-proclaimed champions of black citizens.

Which ones betray the very people they claim to give voices to?

Given the state of black communities in this country, I would venture to say pick a card, any card, Tibs.

11 minutes ago, Tiberius said:

That almost describes Thomas Sowell to a tee, except that it's Conservatives who are subsidizing and supporting him. 

You see that? 

No, I don't really see it. Who exactly is Mr. Sowell beholden to? It's abundantly clear with Al Sharpton, Jesse Jackson, and most entertainers, who Malcolm also denounces as poor leaders. 

• Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, Tiberius said:

40 minutes ago, billsfan1959 said:

"People arguing over who got the best master"

Provocative from Killer Mike...worth a listen. His series on Netflix is awesome as well.

BTW, listen to the people he recommends everyone should read and learn from, Sowell included. 

Also, he falls close in line to Trump on immigration. 

Very very NSFW language...and this from last year, not recent

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xX1ZbBgRntU

• Thank you (+1) 1

Thomas Sowell: Black Wisdom Matters - The Promise of Black Politicians

Thomas Sowell, Jason Riley, Bob Woodson, Walter E Williams and Shelby Steele look at the promises and delivery of politicians representing the ethnic grievance industry.

(Excerpt) Read more at youtube.com ...

14 minutes ago, B-Man said:

Thomas Sowell: Black Wisdom Matters - The Promise of Black Politicians

Thomas Sowell, Jason Riley, Bob Woodson, Walter E Williams and Shelby Steele look at the promises and delivery of politicians representing the ethnic grievance industry.

(Excerpt) Read more at youtube.com ...

Isn't Trump just a grievance factory? Blaming others for what you support 

4 minutes ago, Tiberius said:

Isn't Trump just a grievance factory? Blaming others for what you support 

220px-Douglas_Squirrel_DSC3742vvc.jpg

Watch the video...............instead of whining...............it will do you some good.

Just now, B-Man said:

220px-Douglas_Squirrel_DSC3742vvc.jpg

Watch the video...............instead of whining...............it will do you some good.

Trump complains all the time everything is unfair. He's the whiner 

Unfair! Media is against me, cry cry 

Like no other President had to answer questions before, but he can't handle it so he cries UNFAIR!