Who Has Confidence in Josh Reed This Year?

In my opinion, Reed deserves his chance to make amends this year for the relatively underwhelming performance of last year.

Some could argue that Bledsoe simply sucked so bad that Reed was trying to catch terribly thrown balls, though I've seen him drop more than he should have and ultimately found myself amazed every time the ball was thrown at him. It was that same queezy feeling I would get everytime we'd attempt a field goal.

Will a change in quarterbacks help Reed? Will the emergence of Evans as a speedster finally give Reed the time he needs to go underneath.

I'm willing to see what he can do this year as the starter in the #3 slot.

What say you all?

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

In my opinion, Reed deserves his chance to make amends this year for the relatively underwhelming performance of last year.

Some could argue that Bledsoe simply sucked so bad that Reed was trying to catch terribly thrown balls, though I've seen him drop more than he should have and ultimately found myself amazed every time the ball was thrown at him. It was that same queezy feeling I would get everytime we'd attempt a field goal.

Will a change in quarterbacks help Reed? Will the emergence of Evans as a speedster finally give Reed the time he needs to go underneath.

What say you all?

309188[/snapback]

in an earlier thread some weeks ago, I picked Josh as my most improved Bill prediction. i think Losman on the move can find more options and Reed's appearance in the slot will be a safety valve for him at times. Let's see what he can do.

I know many people will argue with me, but I do NOT think that Josh Reed is a flop. I think that he is undersized... yes, young... yes... but I could see him as a solid #2 receiver in just a few years. He will learn from his mistakes, and I hope that he stays, learns from EM (his senior) and LE (his junior) and excels in that 3rd receiver role (as he has done in the past).

I too remember the easily-catchable balls he just dropped, but I've also seen Jerry Rice and Marvin Harrison drops passes too. Nobody is perfect, and we don't need to crucify JR because of that.

I agree, I always liked him at LSU, he hasn't converted that success to the NFL, but I think this is the year he either makes it or finds a new home.

His first year he seemed to do fine from the slot, but last year he seemed to drop a lot of balls thrown to him. I don't know whether it was his hands, or the fact that he wasn't prepared for a ball coming his way, but he did seem to look like he was fighting it by mid season.

See how he does in the pre-season, if he has made positive strides, and clicks with JP, keep him. If he is still struggling in the pre-season, and we don't see any major chemistry with JP, let him go, pick up a decent veteran.

I'm not willing at this time to go as far as to say I have confidence in Reed, but I am more than wiling to give him this year to step up and show what he is really worth.

I believe his medicore play in the past season and a half has been due to his mindset rather than his physical skills. If the coaching staff, or his fellow players, can get him to believe in himself again, he’ll be a good 3rd WR.

So I’m thinking the question we need to ask is "Does Reed have confidence in Reed?"

What say you all?

309188[/snapback]

What really sucks is that Josh is in a contract year and if he should have a breakout season then he'd most likely go to a team that would make him a #2 receiver and pay him the big bucks. It almost might be better for Donahue to either sign him now to a low salary extension as insurance or just cut him now and let a new guy learn like Sam Akins who's under contract beyond this season.

It's his 4th year in the NFL & his rookie contract expires after this year. If he is ever going to get his head screwed on straight, this is the year to do it. It appears that he will never be anything more than a #3 WR, so now is the time to step up. If so, hopefully the Bills can re-sign him. If not, his future in the NFL may be short lived.

I still recall him having some amazing games at LSU in his senior season and hope that somehow that player can re-emerge.

Do I have confidence that he can fill the role of #3 WR.....I'm not sure! :blink:

I know many people will argue with me, but I do NOT think that Josh Reed is a flop.  I think that he is undersized... yes, young... yes... but I could see him as a solid #2 receiver in just a few years.  He will learn from his mistakes, and I hope that he stays, learns from EM (his senior) and LE (his junior) and excels in that 3rd receiver role (as he has done in the past).

I too remember the easily-catchable balls he just dropped, but I've also seen Jerry Rice and Marvin Harrison drops passes too.  Nobody is perfect, and we don't need to crucify JR because of that.

309202[/snapback]

I think he gets this last year to prove himself. I haven't looked, but a assume this is a contract year, so expect big things from him ala Peerless.

Also, seemd recievers for the most part take longer to mature in the pro game than almost any other position besides QB. I know there are always exceptions, but on whole I think it takes 3-4 years for a reciever to really get it---ltook that long for Moulds, Andre, Peerless(dont kill me on that one) McCardell, Harrison etc, etc, etc.

So, he gets this year

He's actually been poor-to-lousy for two straight full seasons, starting with the shellacking of the Patriots opening day 2003 when he was perhaps the only Bill that didn't play well, dropping 2-3 wide open passes including the flea flicker and (arguably) two slant passes.

i've been so disappointed with reed's play that it's impossible for me to be optimistic about this season. if there's one thing a first year starting QB like big cat needs, it's receivers who are confident and will catch the ball. reed has failed for two years on both counts. i say, give aiken the chance to compete for the 3# job.

Weren't we all discussing this same thing last year? Will it be the same next year? Josh Reed is paid to do one thing. Catch balls and he doesn't do that very well. Stop looking at him through rose colored glasses.  :blink:

309223[/snapback]

I couldn't agree more.

...right now, I'm not a happy camper where Josh Reed is concerned. I was really pissed on that penalty called against him in the Pittsburgh game that nullified a gain down to near the goal line at a critical time. After that, Lindell gagged, the 4th stringer from Pittsburgh ran 65 yards the other way, and you know the rest. :blink:

Josh Reed = Tom Donahoe's biggest draft bust.

309264[/snapback]

I still give that one to Ryan Denney. After all, he moved up to get him.

For the first two years of his career people were criticising Eric Moulds as being a bust. Then he had a breakout third year as a pro. A lot of people have a theory about receivers in their third year being their breakout year. Maybe Reed just missed it by a year. I'd like to think that he can get it done.