Nobody wanted P Michael Turk and NCAA is allowing him to return to ASU

YoloinOhio

10 minutes ago, MJS said:

They do, but it doesn't mean they'll sign some random, crappy college QB. They'll look for an upgrade.

This punter just probably isn't as good as he thought he was.

How do you know if a guy can be an upgrade if you don't give him a chance?  There are more than a few undrafted punters in the league.

7 minutes ago, thurst44 said:

If he has the talent to do great punts, and can cut out the horrible punts, that is upside -- it's the very definition of upside. Players improve -- that happens very often in this league. I'm not saying I think he will do it, nor that we should keep him. In fact, in an earlier post, I said very clearly, by the same logic, a flyer on Turk would not have been a terrible idea. 

But to suggest that players can't improve is just silly.

He's had almost 2 full years.  Time to move on.

2 minutes ago, Doc said:

How do you know if a guy can be an upgrade if you don't give him a chance?  There are more than a few undrafted punters in the league.

You watch their college tape and see if there is potential there. The fact he didn't get signed tells me coaches weren't impressed by his tape.

One of ASU's recent punters before Turk was Matt Haack, who has been on the Dolphins the last couple years; Turk is 10x better than Haack. He is the best punter ASU has had in the 25 years I've been following them, and 2nd place is closer to last place than it is to Turk. I am shocked no one signed him, but it has been reported that he just didn't perform very well (other than the zillion bench presses) at the combine. Which goes to show that NFL decision makers really do pay more attention to the combine and less to the games than they claim.

10 hours ago, Red Squirrel said:

One of ASU's recent punters before Turk was Matt Haack, who has been on the Dolphins the last couple years; Turk is 10x better than Haack. He is the best punter ASU has had in the 25 years I've been following them, and 2nd place is closer to last place than it is to Turk. I am shocked no one signed him, but it has been reported that he just didn't perform very well (other than the zillion bench presses) at the combine. Which goes to show that NFL decision makers really do pay more attention to the combine and less to the games than they claim.

Well, if he didn't kick the pro ball particularly well that would have caused him issues and obviously the 32 nfl teams teams did not think he would upgrade their roster. I'm glad the ncaa granted him the ability to go back to school.

13 hours ago, Happy said:

When he hits them right, he is actually very good.  The problem is he also shanks a bunch and puts the defense in a bad spot.

When he nails one he really nails it. But too many are line drives and don't have proper hang time ans that hurts the coverage unit. 

18 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

When he nails one he really nails it. But too many are line drives and don't have proper hang time ans that hurts the coverage unit. 

I don't think we disagree here.  If Bojo can't consistently kick good punts (good hang time, no shanks), I don't think the Bills can keep him on the team, regardless of how far he can potentially boot it.

• Like (+1) 1

On 6/3/2020 at 9:39 PM, Doc said:

Ah, so the team with the 32nd best QB is just fine and doesn't need to look for a better one, eh?

:lol:

punter. we were talking about punter. P-U-N-T-E-R.

the top 32 punters in the world can all hit the ball a long way.

Perhaps he wanted too much for an UDFA?   weird no one even signed him to a training camp battle.  or perhaps he only wanted to go somewhere where there would be no TC battle.  Glad he can go back. I think a shortened COVID created training camp would/will hurt rookies, esp UDFA’s.  

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.