Bruce Smith - Speak for Yourself video

I thought this was interesting. He covers everything from mentoring Marcellus Wiley to his relationship with Jim (well documented) to being bullied as a kid to who is the best DE of all time. 

One thing that really piqued my interest was when he discussed becoming a student of the game. I suspect that was driven by Levy and while McD is not a teacher in the same vein that Marv was, he is, nonetheless, a teacher. It’s an interesting juxtaposition.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1

I like how he bonded with Jim's mother.

I have a couple of friends like that - every time we visited her she would ask how my "brothers" were doing. 

Not my actual brothers but R. Rich and a buddy of mine I work with and lived with me for a while.

• Like (+1) 1

28 minutes ago, Marv's Neighbor said:

Bring back the RED helmets!

Respect your love of the, but I LOVE the classics! ? 

22 minutes ago, Limeaid said:

I like how he bonded with Jim's mother.

I have a couple of friends like that - every time we visited her she would ask how my "brothers" were doing. 

Not my actual brothers but R. Rich and a buddy of mine I work with and lived with me for a while.

Appreciate it...how about the discussion of how he became a student of the game and if it connects to now? ? 

In my opinion, (obviously, since I posted it) it’s worth watching so we can understand the type of coach we have now and how it connects with Marv...I truly think there’s a connection and it will lead to good things!

• Like (+1) 1

53 minutes ago, Mr. K said:

I feel like he never gets mentioned with the all time best in the league 

THIS. It's because he was prior to the NFL becoming what it is, today. True football fans of a certain age, and Bills fans of a certain age, all know it, but the casual fan now gets hit in the face 24/7 with information. 

It's Deacon, him, and Reggie, in that order.

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Mr. K said:

I feel like he never gets mentioned with the all time best in the league 

Ok, did you watch the video?

I agree with you but it’s important that it’s discussed here. ? 

He is, by the way. 

15 minutes ago, Call_Of_Ktulu said:

I would pick Bruce Smith over any other defensive player. 

Overall I agree but I do find myself vacillating at times between him and LT.  

Edited by TroutDog

16 hours ago, scuba guy said:

I wish they was a way to instill the drive that Bruce had into the new generation some just don't see it

Bruce was definitely one of a kind there is a lot that the new generation could learn if they would take some time to get their faces out of the "Smart Phones" & pay more attention to what's around them but the days of young people working hard in any physical way like Bruce and others did from a different era i believe is long gone !! 

There are some youngsters coming up that have that in them but the numbers are dwindling as time goes by ...

2 minutes ago, Limeaid said:

Remember that Bruce came in the league soft and he worked on what to do on off-season with Edward Abramoski. He (Abramoski) told me at tailgate that Bruce was a "sponge" during his first off-season and on phone with him frequently.

If I recall correctly, he was at or over 300 when drafted and then came back around 285 for his second year. Completely changed his body. 

• Like (+1) 1

31 minutes ago, T master said:

Bruce was definitely one of a kind there is a lot that the new generation could learn if they would take some time to get their faces out of the "Smart Phones" & pay more attention to what's around them but the days of young people working hard in any physical way like Bruce and others did from a different era i believe is long gone !! 

There are some youngsters coming up that have that in them but the numbers are dwindling as time goes by ...

Do you have the actual numbers?

Is this a stat that PFF keeps?

17 hours ago, Seasons1992 said:

THIS. It's because he was prior to the NFL becoming what it is, today. True football fans of a certain age, and Bills fans of a certain age, all know it, but the casual fan now gets hit in the face 24/7 with information. 

It's Deacon, him, and Reggie, in that order.

Thats what I was thinking is the case. I guess eventually the generational talent we're watching now will be surpassed as well. Still 200 sacks is pretty impressive (of course they didnt always keep that stat).

17 hours ago, TroutDog said:

Ok, did you watch the video?

I agree with you but it’s important that it’s discussed here. ? 

He is, by the way. 

Yeah I watched and enjoyed it. Could I be a little jaded by the red white and blue? Maybe. But his production, accolades, and longevity is undeniable.

• Like (+1) 1

OP -

Thanks for posting. I hear just this thoughtful, humble soul who appreciates where he's been. 

For someone who was such a terror on the field, he is equal part gentle giant. I get a kick listening to him.

What an all-time great 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

18 hours ago, TroutDog said:

In my opinion, (obviously, since I posted it) it’s worth watching so we can understand the type of coach we have now and how it connects with Marv...I truly think there’s a connection and it will lead to good things!

I hope for better with McD. Not necessarily that we WIN a Super Bowl -I hope for that every year, but in teaching and instilling the team 1st approach. I was skeptical of Levy right up til he lambasted the press in ‘90. But, imo, he was more a babysitter than football coach. This was clearly evident in nearly every game we lost during his era. Out-coached. We won with better talent, not with better coaching.

• Like (+1) 1

54 minutes ago, Chandler#81 said:

I hope for better with McD. Not necessarily that we WIN a Super Bowl -I hope for that every year, but in teaching and instilling the team 1st approach. I was skeptical of Levy right up til he lambasted the press in ‘90. But, imo, he was more a babysitter than football coach. This was clearly evident in nearly every game we lost during his era. Out-coached. We won with better talent, not with better coaching.

Agreed but he did get many on the team to be better football players as Bruce discussed. I believe McD can do that AND is a good coach. He still has things to learn, obviously, but also think he is intent on doing so. 

• Like (+1) 1