USWNT loses

bbb

I reflexively figured this was all media created bullsh-- but didn't bother to look into it.  I would have never guessed the extent to which it was a completely fabricated claim.

This really sums it up:

The women's team also rejected a collective bargaining agreement (CBA) where they would have the same pay structure as the men's team in favor of a different CBA, Klausner wrote.

The women's CBA guarantees that players will be compensated regardless of whether they play a match or not, while the men's CBA calls for players to be paid if they are called into camp to play and then participate in a match, according to the summary judgment.

Klausner wrote that the women were asking for a court to conclude that the women were paid less than men because had the women been paid under the men's CBA, they would have earned more than they did under their own CBA.

"This approach — merely comparing what each team would have made under the other team's CBA — is untenable in this case because it ignores the reality that the MNT and WNT bargained for different agreements which reflect different preferences, and that the WNT explicitly rejected the terms they now seek to retroactively impose on themselves," Klausner wrote.

They even have a collectively bargained contract!!

• Like (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 2

OK, this is really complicated, and I’m likely to get grief here, maybe from BOTH sides. I am ALL FOR equal pay for equal work. My wife’s work is on the front line of this in terms of equality. I’m ALL IN on fair pay.

However, you need to consider all the factors. How much money does the women’s team generate compared to the men’s? I don’t know, and I’m sure it varies from year to year. The WNBA does not pay the same as the NBA. If it were flipped in soccer, pay the women MORE! I don’t care! Be FAIR!

Women’s tennis? (Yeah, my sport.) I agree to pay them equally, as they do in the Majors, but ONLY if the women play best of five sets, like the men. I have a problem with that. I’m ALL for equal pay, but ONLY for equal work, and if the revenue makes sense. It takes actual thought, not just a stupid “it should be equal.”  Think it through. 

EDIT: I should say, if the women generate more revenue in 3 sets than the men do in 5, that changes the formula. You should be paid based on your value and income generated. It’s NOT a gender thing. It’s a REVENUE thing. 

Edited by Augie
  • Thank you (+1) 2

10 minutes ago, Augie said:

OK, this is really complicated, and I’m likely to get grief here, maybe from BOTH sides. I am ALL FOR equal pay for equal work. My wife’s work is on the front line of this in terms of equality. I’m ALL IN on fair pay.

However, you need to consider all the factors. How much money does the women’s team generate compared to the men’s? I don’t know, and I’m sure it varies from year to year. The WNBA does not pay the same as the NBA. If it were flipped in soccer, pay the women MORE! I don’t care! Be FAIR!

Women’s tennis? (Yeah, my sport.) I agree to pay them equally, as they do in the Majors, but ONLY if the women play best of five sets, like the men. I have a problem with that. I’m ALL for equal pay, but ONLY for equal work, and if the revenue makes sense. It takes actual thought, not just a stupid “it should be equal.”  Think it through. 

Apparently, the women’s team generated more money than the men’s team the past 3 years.  

With that being said, I’m with you.  It should be a portion of what’s brought in and I don’t know what the discrepancy is.  Depending on which article you read, there’s a variety of ways they calculate money generated.  In one article the women made more based on what they did. In another article, they got paid less for World Cup games and winning the whole things. 

I’m interested in the topic, but have no idea whose “facts” are real 

• Like (+1) 1

My 2c 

Pay the women more than the men until the men actually play like men. 

Such sissies in the way they "act".   

someone breathes on then and they act as if a 5 year old had his ice cream cone taken away. 

Edited by SlimShady'sSpaceForce
  • Like (+1) 2
  • Haha (+1) 1

The women negotiated a salary over wages CBA. So now they're crying that they would have been paid more if they had picked wages over salary instead... like the men did.

They were scared that no one was going to watch them. They didn't believe in their own product, so they took the easy money.

• Like (+1) 5
  • Thank you (+1) 2

5 minutes ago, unbillievable said:

The women negotiated a salary over wages CBA. So now they're crying that they would have been paid more if they had picked wages over salary instead... like the men did.

They were scared that no one was going to watch them. They didn't believe in their own product, so they took the easy money.

Exactly!

This was a losing battle from the start.

If the women players want to blame anyone, they should blame their agents.

Edited by Mark Vader

14 hours ago, Virgil said:

Apparently, the women’s team generated more money than the men’s team the past 3 years.  

With that being said, I’m with you.  It should be a portion of what’s brought in and I don’t know what the discrepancy is.  Depending on which article you read, there’s a variety of ways they calculate money generated.  In one article the women made more based on what they did. In another article, they got paid less for World Cup games and winning the whole things. 

How about paying them based on the contract they and their labor union freely negotiated?

• Like (+1) 3

22 minutes ago, KD in CA said:

How about paying them based on the contract they and their labor union freely negotiated?

Once again the headlines and the reality do not match.  Headlines make it appear they are being taken advantage of while reality is the contract.  The devil is in the details.

• Like (+1) 3

22 hours ago, Virgil said:

I am typing this mainly to get all the facts straight in my head:

- the women were offered the same contract as the men, but turned it out, and took the more secure one, with benefits, etc.

- they then scream about equality all last summer and simpletons just cheer them on - I believe after the final game, the crowd changed Equal Pay!  (bonus points for Rapinoe being the ahole ringleader in all this)  

- the reason that the bonuses for the Men's World Cup are higher seems pretty simple: The prize money for the 2019 Women's World Cup was $30 million vs. $400 million for the 2018 Men's World Cup. The pie is just smaller, period.

-

• Like (+1) 3