Pats were trying to get Diggs too: which explains why the price was slightly high

NBC Sports says the Pats and Redskins were both trying to land Diggs (i suspect the list of suitors was likely longer).

https://www.nbcsports.com/boston/patriots/nfl-rumors-patriots-vikings-talked-stefon-diggs-trade-bills-landed-wr

Another wide receiver has come and gone from the New England Patriots' radar.

The Buffalo Bills reportedly acquired Stefon Diggs from the Vikings in a blockbuster trade Monday, sending four draft picks (including a 2020 first-rounder) to Minnesota for the talented wide receiver.

Apparently that price was too rich for New England's blood.

The Patriots discussed a potential Diggs trade with the Vikings before they dealt him to Buffalo, Sports Illustrated's Albert Breer reported Tuesday, adding the Washington Redskins had interest in Diggs, as well.

see also

The trade already made a lot of sense:

Diggs was the missing piece in the offense. When you are a playoff team with a relatively low first rounder, you should trade it to acquire a young healthy player with demonstrated production in a position of need. And Diggs, more than any other receiver available, is the perfect fit. You have a good outside guy (JB) and a good inside guy (CB). Now you get the contested catch deep threat the Bills were always lacking despite having a QB with a rocket arm. And you have an OC, who just loves 11-personnel formations (three WR sets)  as much as anybody else. If Allen can make Foster look good (2018), just imagine how he can gel with Diggs.

While Beane is getting a lot of credit for landing the perfect piece, I dont see him getting widespread praise for keeping Diggs away from the Pats.  There has been talk that NE was trying to retain Brady by getting Diggs. With or Without Brady, the Pats would have been significantly better with Diggs. When you feel it is your time to rise to the top, you gotta be willing to pay a lil extra to slam the door on an opponent trying to get there. Which is just what Beane did! I'm pretty sure the Pats were offering a first rounder - like they did to get Brandin Cooks.

There is some talk among Pats fans about going after OBJ in a trade - but if they do that, the price will only go up after Hopkins and Diggs trades - Will take at least a first, a third and something extra. Might still be optimal for them to get OBJ if their WR draft track record is anything to go by (N'Keal Harry).

• Like (+1) 7

1 minute ago, RyanC883 said:

I’m glad we beat out these other teams.  And I think we paid a fair, not inflated, price.  

Definitely a pretty fair price. Those who think it wasn’t are going off the Hopkins trade, which was just insane. If that trade never happened, a lot fewer people would be complaining about the price of acquiring Diggs. 

• Like (+1) 6
  • Thank you (+1) 2

2 minutes ago, RyanC883 said:

I’m glad we beat out these other teams.  And I think we paid a fair, not inflated, price.  

Well Diggs is likely a top 5-10 WR. Deandre Hopkins trade aside we paid the going rate. What BOB was thinking I don’t know but a first and some change for one of the game’s elite WRs is no skin off my bones. I think Diggs will actually be better in Buffalo than he was in Minnesota.

• Like (+1) 3

20 minutes ago, IgotBILLStopay said:

NBC Sports says the Pats and Redskins were both trying to land Diggs (i suspect the list of suitors was likely longer).

https://www.nbcsports.com/boston/patriots/nfl-rumors-patriots-vikings-talked-stefon-diggs-trade-bills-landed-wr

see also

The trade already made a lot of sense:

Diggs was the missing piece in the offense. When you are a playoff team with a relatively low first rounder, you should trade it to acquire a young healthy player with demonstrated production in a position of need. And Diggs, more than any other receiver available, is the perfect fit. You have a good outside guy (JB) and a good inside guy (CB). Now you get the contested catch deep threat the Bills were always lacking despite having a QB with a rocket arm. And you have an OC, who just loves 11-personnel formations (three WR sets)  as much as anybody else. If Allen can make Foster look good (2018), just imagine how he can gel with Diggs.

While Beane is getting a lot of credit for landing the perfect piece, I dont see him getting widespread praise for keeping Diggs away from the Pats.  There has been talk that NE was trying to retain Brady by getting Diggs. With or Without Brady, the Pats would have been significantly better with Diggs. When you feel it is your time to rise to the top, you gotta be willing to pay a lil extra to slam the door on an opponent trying to get there. Which is just what Beane did! I'm pretty sure the Pats were offering a first rounder - like they did to get Brandin Cooks.

There is some talk among Pats fans about going after OBJ in a trade - but if they do that, the price will only go up after Hopkins and Diggs trades - Will take at least a first, a third and something extra. Might still be optimal for them to get OBJ if their WR draft track record is anything to go by (N'Keal Harry).

I don't see how that's terribly important. He improved our team with this trade and everyone pretty much acknowledges that.

• Like (+1) 2

7 minutes ago, klos63 said:

I don't see how that's terribly important. He improved our team with this trade and everyone pretty much acknowledges that.

And I think that with Brady gone, the Cheaters aren't what they once were.

22 minutes ago, Doc said:

The Cheaters wouldn't trade the 23rd pick?  OK.  Thanks.

Probably couldn't  or wouldn't add the secondary picks the Bills offered.

To me its a 1 and 4 next year trade

The 5-6 are house money after acquiring better picks in each round for leftovers :)

Edited by JMF2006

Just now, JMF2006 said:

Probably couldn't  or wouldn't add the secondary picks the Bills offered.

To me its a 1 and 4 next year trade the 5-6 are house money after acquiring better picks in each round for leftovers :)

The later picks were throwaways.  They got what, 2-3rd round comp picks? 

But again, thanks Cheaters.

• Like (+1) 2

1 minute ago, Doc said:

The later picks were throwaways.  They got what, 2-3rd round comp picks? 

But again, thanks Cheaters.

Yeah I thought about that but they may need to trade up to get a QB

• Like (+1) 1

50 minutes ago, klos63 said:

It explains why you might be willing to pay extra on the trade. Didnt Belichik pretty much acknowledge once that one of the motivations in signing Gilmore was that he did not have to face him twice every season? 

• Haha (+1) 1

1 hour ago, klos63 said:

Our fans haven't quite got used to cheering us rather than just hating on the Pats yet. 

• Like (+1) 2

3 minutes ago, Limeaid said:

It has been discussed in another thread.

Washington is a bluff.  They do not have the money for such a player or can spare the draft picks.

Yup.  The Cheaters I believe. 

I didn't have a problem with what the Bills gave up since Diggs is their 1st rounder and they still have picks in rounds 5 and 6, but it makes sense after hearing the Cheaters were interested.  Also probably part of the reason Houston traded Hopkins for just a 2nd is because he wanted $20M/year, which will lower trade compensation.

1 hour ago, IgotBILLStopay said:

It explains why you might be willing to pay extra on the trade. Didnt Belichik pretty much acknowledge once that one of the motivations in signing Gilmore was that he did not have to face him twice every season? 

I'm sure it was nice to not face Gilmore twice, but it's not like it ever really mattered. Belichick really never had much of a problem beating us.