Would you keep the HC\GM combo if Allen doesn't work out.

13 hours ago, Ethan in Portland said:

There is the QB and then the rest of the team. You can say he's 1/11 or whatever but it's simply not true. Getting the QB spot right is just about equal to all the other positions combined.

So if Allen regresses and they don't make the playoffs this year, then they will be on the hot seat.  If McD can't beat the Patriots with Allen and without Brady then you have to question why? As others have pointed out some of his game management is questionable while some of it is quite good. 

Long and short its deep playoff run or bust this year. Anything less and either Allen, McD, or Beane are losing their job.

If Allen busts this year (absolutely no indication) he could lose his job.

GM and coach are safe as hell.

19 minutes ago, FireChans said:

I agree with all of this.

Beane is closer to a Whaley type GM right now. Has made some nice moves, found some hidden gems in the draft and good FA pickups, but is missing the signature pick. Has had his busts like all GM’s do.

It’s funny, you could make the argument that pound for pound, McD was the one who orchestrated the best offseason when he was driving the whole ship. Acquiring Poyer, Hyde, White, Dawkins and Milano is a better group of players than either Beane or Whaley ever acquired. That may change as Edmunds, Oliver and most importantly Allen grow.

100%. That first offseason when McDermott was driving the boat netted us the two most important defensive players we have had the past 3 years, our best day 3 pick since Stevie Johnson and a starting left tackle. 

None of this is to say Allen, Edmunds and Oliver won't make that level where they are star players too. But we shouldn't crown Beane like they are already there. If they get there he wears the crown. No questions asked. Man if all 3 of them end up elite or borderline elite players? This team is going to win Championships. 

3 hours ago, Ethan in Portland said:

Everyone stays if they finish sub 0.500? Barring an injury to Allen a sub 0.500 season would mean an epic failure of either Allen or the coaching staff. How many OCs does McD get to pick before he gets the blame? Tampa Bay fired Dungy because he couldn’t get to the SB. 

All that said, even a mildly down year and I’m sure McD and Beane will be back. However if Allen regresses and he is the one holding back the team, a change at QB could happen. 

I think Allen plays better but still costs us a game, and McD game decisions will cost us a game. Even with that I don’t see any reason they are not division winners.

You've covered all bases.

2 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

100%. That first offseason when McDermott was driving the boat netted us the two most important defensive players we have had the past 3 years, our best day 3 pick since Stevie Johnson and a starting left tackle. 

None of this is to say Allen, Edmunds and Oliver won't make that level where they are star players too. But we shouldn't crown Beane like they are already there. If they get there he wears the crown. No questions asked. Man if all 3 of them end up elite or borderline elite players? This team is going to win Championships. 

Edmunds and Oliver are borderline elite imo already

No MLB has range like Edmunds. His versatility outweighs his flaws which I believe will be corrected with more experience

And Oliver is throwing grown men around inside like a 7 year vet, already. He is a wrecking ball and next year w/2 full NFL strength programs under his belt he's going to be a real problem

• Like (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, GoBills808 said:

Edmunds and Oliver are borderline elite imo already

No MLB has range like Edmunds. His versatility outweighs his flaws which I believe will be corrected with more experience

And Oliver is throwing grown men around inside like a 7 year vet, already. He is a wrecking ball and next year w/2 full NFL strength programs under his belt he's going to be a real problem

Borderline elite already? Nah. Look I love both guys. Oliver for me had a really good rookie season and I think Edmunds took a major step forward in 2019 and I agree his range is special and he already makes special plays but he also still fails to make too many routine ones. 

I still think you are projecting with both what they can become if they stay on the path they are on. I don't think either is there yet.

If Allen fails due to a lacking Offensive Line (that went unaddressed in 2020) and a critical injury or two to Diggs/Brown/Beasley where McBeane failed to address receiver depth, then McBeane may be on the chopping block. Up to this point they haven’t done Allen many favors in terms of his development. I credit Allen with his own development. Although we went to the playoffs, I’ve seen a lot of head scratchers in terms of roster, trades and game management.

12 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

Borderline elite already? Nah. Look I love both guys. Oliver for me had a really good rookie season and I think Edmunds took a major step forward in 2019 and I agree his range is special and he already makes special plays but he also still fails to make too many routine ones. 

I still think you are projecting with both what they can become if they stay on the path they are on. I don't think either is there yet.

OK possibly but who would you rather have at MLB right now over Edmunds? Top of my head I can only think of Leonard, Roquan Smith, and MAYBE Jaylon Smith rn...that's where I get my take on Edmunds...

10 minutes ago, Troll Toll said:

If Allen fails due to a lacking Offensive Line (that went unaddressed in 2020) and a critical injury or two to Diggs/Brown/Beasley where McBeane failed to address receiver depth, then McBeane may be on the chopping block. Up to this point they haven’t done Allen many favors in terms of his development. I credit Allen with his own development. Although we went to the playoffs, I’ve seen a lot of head scratchers in terms of roster, trades and game management.

You do realize it is only MARCH of 2020? FA nowhere near done. Draft hasn't happened yet. Etc. How are you claiming the Offensive Line went unaddressed in 2020, when the addressing is just starting?

• Like (+1) 1

It’s a good question for sure.  Obviously there’s other factors, but should any team keep a regime that failed in picking a top 10 qb?  So hey can screw it up again.  

take away the qb position.  Is this roster that much better than our roster in 2014?  The qb position trumps everything.  Should the Bears keep Ryan Pace if they suck this year and Mitchell Tribusky isn’t good?  

People overreact how much difference there are between GMs/ head coaches.  For all the talk of Belichick, he has rode the greatest qb for 20 years.

i think they have done some nice things and hopefully this doesn’t matter because Allen is really the guy.  But they are very overrated here and can easily be replaced.  Again, hopefully it doesn’t matter.  

7 minutes ago, C.Biscuit97 said:

It’s a good question for sure.  Obviously there’s other factors, but should any team keep a regime that failed in picking a top 10 qb?  So hey can screw it up again.  

take away the qb position.  Is this roster that much better than our roster in 2014?  The qb position trumps everything.  Should the Bears keep Ryan Pace if they suck this year and Mitchell Tribusky isn’t good?  

People overreact how much difference there are between GMs/ head coaches.  For all the talk of Belichick, he has rode the greatest qb for 20 years.

i think they have done some nice things and hopefully this doesn’t matter because Allen is really the guy.  But they are very overrated here and can easily be replaced.  Again, hopefully it doesn’t matter.  

Yeah - you’ve seen one GM, you’ve seen them all. ?

15 hours ago, John from Riverside said:

Is there any particular reason why he would struggle?

His OL has a 2nd year together

His weapons are improved

He made a big jump from year one to year two

The percentages dont really support him falling off

What percentages are those?

20 minutes ago, GoBills808 said:

OK possibly but who would you rather have at MLB right now over Edmunds? Top of my head I can only think of Leonard, Roquan Smith, and MAYBE Jaylon Smith rn...that's where I get my take on Edmunds...

Uh the best ILB in the game, Bobby Wagner? LVE? 

Edmunds is a fine young player with tremendous potential. I would be very comfortable saying he may make the Pro Bowl next year. But borderline elite? No way.

3 minutes ago, FireChans said:

Uh the best ILB in the game, Bobby Wagner? LVE? 

Edmunds is a fine young player with tremendous potential. I would be very comfortable saying he may make the Pro Bowl next year. But borderline elite? No way.

LVE doesn't play MLB and is injured to boot. And at this point w/mileage and age I take Edmunds over Wagner who is great but 8 years older and imo will be overtaken by Edmunds next season

Also Edmunds made the Pro Bowl last season

5 hours ago, BillsFanSD said:

Yes.  Beane is our best GM since the super bowl years, and McDermott is our best coach since -- arguably -- forever.  No disrespect to Marv.

Our special teams and offense is terrible. He is a very good defensive coordinator, but let's not get ahead of ourselves. There are major deficiencies in his game.