NBA suspends season due to coronavirus

brianthomas

55 minutes ago, row_33 said:

they were never close to the talent of Boston or Tampa, and weren’t catching the indolent Leafs who turn effort on and off like a water tap

No they didn't have to have to be. Look at Columbus, they are in a playoff spot with far less talent then any of those teams. 

52 minutes ago, teef said:

this may be worse that the virus.

I never understood why so many Americans don't like hockey. I find it more exciting as its non stop action. You don't have to wait a minute before the next play to happen. Who doesn't like hits and seeing fights. 

I know a lot are worried about this virus and it spreading. For the most part though the vast majority of people it will be like getting a bad cold. The ones that should worry are the elderly and ones with bad immune systems.

I am still planning on traveling this spring. Not flying but am driving to Cedar Point for the May long weekend. I am not changing my plans for something that is most likely going to give me a bad cold. 

36 minutes ago, CountDorkula said:
Jazz star Donovan Mitchell has tested positive for the coronavirus, league sources tell ESPN. Jazz players privately say that Rudy Gobert had been careless in the locker room touching other players and their belongings. Now a Jazz teammate has tested positive.

Gobert was straight up reckless. And now that Italy has been starting to charge and prosecute people who knowingly broke quarantine or spread the disease while sick, he should worry something similar doesnt happen here.

4XHwaqb.jpg

11 minutes ago, Jrb1979 said:

I never understood why so many Americans don't like hockey. I find it more exciting as its non stop action. You don't have to wait a minute before the next play to happen. Who doesn't like hits and seeing fights. 

Same reason they dont like soccer. And that "nonstop" action is part of it.

Americans love baseball and football. Which have set starts and stops to plays. We love the ability to track each play or pitch, and the subsequent stats and math that goes along with it. Tracking all of these self-contained little battles in the bigger war of the game. We do not like that free-flow type of sports where it doesnt have set starts and stops.

Basketball plays somewhere in between there. But that is the gist of the issue.

It's just part of the culture.

54 minutes ago, RochesterRob said:

I guess that I would ask how China took steps to prevent the spread? 

Local governments began sealing off villages and mandating 14-day quarantines for anyone who travels.  Strict curfews, shutting down factories, etc.

A police state, really.  It sucks, but it's necessary.  I'm sure you can imagine how that would play in good ol 'Murica, but we're slowly getting there.  Short-term sacrifice...

19 minutes ago, Jrb1979 said:

No they didn't have to have to be. Look at Columbus, they are in a playoff spot with far less talent then any of those teams. 

what’s that got to do with the Sabres in a division with Boston and Tampa and the talented but lazy Leafs? They never had a chance 

and besides, Tortorella gets all he can squeeze out of his lineup, great coach who doesn’t run a fat cat Country Club

16 minutes ago, Jrb1979 said:

I know a lot are worried about this virus and it spreading. For the most part though the vast majority of people it will be like getting a bad cold. The ones that should worry are the elderly and ones with bad immune systems.

I am still planning on traveling this spring. Not flying but am driving to Cedar Point for the May long weekend. I am not changing my plans for something that is most likely going to give me a bad cold. 

Well, while you’re enjoying your “bad cold” please quarantine yourself so you don’t infect others who may have a far worse experience with the virus than you. 

• Like (+1) 3

7 minutes ago, Chicken Boo said:

Local governments began sealing off villages and mandating 14-day quarantines for anyone who travels.  Strict curfews, shutting down factories, etc.

A police state, really.  It sucks, but it's necessary.  I'm sure you can imagine how that would play in good ol 'Murica, but we're slowly getting there.  Short-term sacrifice...

https://www.livemint.com/news/world/covid-19-study-says-placing-wuhan-under-lockdown-delayed-spread-by-nearly-80/amp-11583923473571.html

NEW DELHI: China’s decision to place Wuhan, the epicentre of the COVID-19 outbreak, under a lockdown in late January helped slow down the spread of the infection by nearly 80%, showed scientists in a new modelling study.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Would be nice if we could use some personal responsibility and not stubbornly force ourselves into a police-state lockdown. Work closed our campus, and a lot of other large companies have as well. Employees are being urged to self-quarantine for the next week, and I dont plan on going anywhere for the next few days at least.

But hey, some of us need to get to Cedar Point and dont care about what no high-falutin scientists have to say.

• Like (+1) 3

4 minutes ago, K-9 said:

Well, while you’re enjoying your “bad cold” please quarantine yourself so you don’t infect others who may have a far worse experience with the virus than you. 

If I did have a bad cold I would quarantine myself. What I was getting at is, if I am healthy I am not going to stop loving my life. I am not giving up my vacation plans over this. 

20 minutes ago, Chicken Boo said:

When did they know and when did they start these measures?

Your worship could get a little tarnished 

24 minutes ago, Jrb1979 said:

you still seem so shocked when people don't have the same opinion as you for some reason.  americans enjoy hockey, but it's low on the list.  it's 4th out the major sports for many reasons.  maybe americans need more than just hits and fights to be entertained.

30 minutes ago, Jrb1979 said:

oh my.  you don't understand what's going on at all right now.  you may not be able to go to cedar point whether you want to or not.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 2

Cornell University is pushing as much as possible online following spring break.  The impact on Ithaca and Tompkins County which depends on student spending will be very real.  Don't know what CU would have done in earlier times such as when I was there.  Punt the semester away?

13 minutes ago, row_33 said:

When did they know and when did they start these measures?

Your worship could get a little tarnished 

Easy to do when such places are run as company towns such as what the US saw during the late 19th/ early 20th Centuries.  Tell a bunch of US workers that they they will not be drawing a paycheck for a few weeks so they can't make a mortgage or vehicle payment.

14 minutes ago, teef said:

you still seem so shocked when people don't have the same opinion as you for some reason.  americans enjoy hockey, but it's low on the list.  it's 4th out the major sports for many reasons.  maybe americans need more than just hits and fights to be entertained.

oh my.  you don't understand what's going on at all right now.  you may not be able to go to cedar point whether you want to or not.

Its not that I am shocked that people don't have to same opinion as me. I am Canadian, up here hockey is king. Its why I have always been surprised how little hockey is mentioned in the U.S. 

I do know what's going with this virus and I do know there is a possiblity that Cedar Point maybe closed. Unless that happens or I get sick, I still plan on living my life like normal. The reason is that while this virus has been spreading fast, for the most part its only the elderly or people with low immune systems that are really at risk. 

Just now, Jrb1979 said:

Its not that I am shocked that people don't have to same opinion as me. I am Canadian, up here hockey is king. Its why I have always been surprised how little hockey is mentioned in the U.S. 

I do know what's going with this virus and I do know there is a possiblity that Cedar Point maybe closed. Unless that happens or I get sick, I still plan on living my life like normal. The reason is that while this virus has been spreading fast, for the most part its only the elderly or people with low immune systems that are really at risk. 

i think part of the mild response to hockey here is geography.  in rochester, there's a huge base of kids that play and fans.  i can't imagine it's the same down south and mid west.  i think fewer people are exposed to it or play in comparison to canadians.

with the virus, it's not necessarily about you getting sick, it's about getting others sick.  people are going to have to take a new philosophy on consideration for others, and not just what's the best for them.  not that you should stop living your life, but people need to see the big picture.  maybe you'll be ok by may, probably not.  

10 minutes ago, Jrb1979 said:

The reason is that while this virus has been spreading fast, for the most part its only the elderly or people with low immune systems that are really at risk. 

LOL. "I wont die, so what should I care about spreading the disease?"

1 minute ago, teef said:

i think part of the mild response to hockey here is geography.  in rochester, there's a huge base of kids that play and fans.  i can't imagine it's the same down south and mid west.  i think fewer people are exposed to it or play in comparison to canadians.

with the virus, it's not necessarily about you getting sick, it's about getting others sick.  people are going to have to take a new philosophy on consideration for others, and not just what's the best for them.  not that you should stop living your life, but people need to see the big picture.  maybe you'll be ok by may, probably not.  

I agree that its about other getting sick. I realize in the US that a lot of companies don't have sick days, but if you are sick you should stay home to help stop the spread. Another thing would be is if you fall into the category of high risk you should really think about avoiding big crowds as much as possible. 

• Like (+1) 1