A Photographic Look at the 60's and 70's

T&C

6 minutes ago, Ridgewaycynic2013 said:

I bought a watch from the Grants at the University Plaza.  I am 'doubly' outmoded!  ? 

The old green stamp days... my Mom used to wind up with books full of them. I remember going to AM&A's with her, I think she bought a new mixer with them.

Guess they've been replaced by cash back on credit cards.

Vidler's is going strong and better than ever(90 years).  It is  a landmark in East Aurora.  In 2016, they came in second or third in the Intuit Quickbook's Small Business Big Game competition, where the winner got a commercial on the Super Bowl.

Edited by Wacka
  • Thank you (+1) 1

29 minutes ago, Wacka said:

Vidler's is going strong and better than ever(90 years).  It is  a landmark in East Aurora.  In 2016, that came in second or third in the Intuit Quickbook's Small Business Big Game competition, where the winner got a commercial on the Super Bowl.

You are right... funny I was just reading about them last week. The other two I'm not sure if they are still around would be Bells and A&P. We used to have a Murphy's in Lancaster... kind of like Vidler's.

A&P was gone in Buffalo maybe in the early 70s. nBells  closed in 1991 or 92. My dad worked at their warehouse.  He retired in 1990 because of Cancer a few months before he died.   I remembering telling my brother-in-law who worked at Flickingers ( Super Duper-also closed) about who was a good worker and who was bad when those guys went there from Bells to get a new job.

• Like (+1) 1

I actually did this for a lazy kid... he would give me $10 a day to do it which was crazy money at that time. How or where that money came from I do not know but this is the late 60's.

No photo description available.

3 hours ago, T&C said:

Image may contain: text that says 'The Torture Chair'

My dentist had that model in that color back in the 70s! His office was in his house about a mile from us.   He's working on me and suddenly goes to a second door in  the room, opens it up and yells at his kids in the other half of the house.

• Haha (+1) 1

19 minutes ago, Wacka said:

My dentist had that model in that color back in the 70s! His office was in his house about a mile from us.   He's working on me and suddenly goes to a second door in  the room, opens it up and yells at his kids in the other half of the house.

Dentist I had in the later 60's (not sure why I even needed one when I was 7-8 years old actually) had this version or one similar but I remember it was a light green color. Like yours, he worked out of his house... Dr. Bachman, somewhere between Lancaster and Clarence, I forget the road. 

He wore the "reflector" headband thing and, like I said... have no idea why I was there, had this huge needle apparatus for novacaine... he sterilized it on a fkn bunsen burner, not kidding. The whole thing reminded me of House of Wax... and scared the ***** out of me just like the movie did lol.

He was a very nice man though... guess that's how it was, glad we have moved on.

We used to have them in WNY... used to get a postcard every year for your birthday, good for one dog, one fry, and one root beer. I still have one that I never used, probably because I wasn't old enough to drive at the time. That place was a real treat once a year or so.

Dog N Suds

Edited by T&C

14 hours ago, Wacka said:

I can do you one better: my dentist (in NIagara Falls) from that era had a similar chair in that same hue of yellow. Just off to the side he had a standing ashtray that always had a smoldering cigar. He was a big, heavyset man. Every couple of minutes he’d take a break from working on my teeth and step over to have a few puffs on the cigar.

Then he’d shove his nicotine stained fingers right back in my mouth. It really was different times.

ABEC13FE-7FA6-4672-BBE0-E4F3BFBFC2CB.jpeg

Edited by ChevyVanMiller
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

On 6/15/2020 at 8:20 AM, ExiledInIllinois said:

Can we just push this back one short decade  to the 1950s and one of the weirdest  fashion trends ever: "The Bullet Bra."

vintage+bullet+bra.jpg

https://www.demilked.com/bullet-bra-vintage-fashion/

bullet-bra-vintage-fashion-thumb6403.jpg

Otay! Maybe  it wasn't  so weird.  Look, is that a "four on the column!" LoL ?...

00_story%252520(1).jpg

Back to topic 

91oonEtWncL._SL1500_.jpg

81gizWEdJ2L._AC_SL1500_.jpg   

NSFW Look up Groove Tube and Safety Sam...   on YouTube (obvs)

Edited by SlimShady'sSpaceForce

Chevy Chase is in that. (Pre SNL days). Saw it at the Valu Cinema (Clinton and Rosler Plaza. Building is now Key Liquors and  Dollar General.

Edited by Wacka
  • Like (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.