A Photographic Look at the 60's and 70's

T&C

1 hour ago, Gray Beard said:

vintage-3-hp-briggs-stratton-engine-mini

Look closely on top of this engine and you will see that there is a little metal lever that was the kill switch.
You would slap at that lever and it would click over against the top of spark plug and create a grounding circuit to the engine block to prevent electricity from flowing, thus stopping the spark and stopping the engine.  
Whenever possible use your foot (assuming you are wearing shoes).

Zap!!!    That type of kill switch wouldn’t be allowed these days.

I also remember using a screwdriver to short circuit the spark plug to the block if the engine didn’t have a built in lever.

I had a go-cart with the same setup when I was a kid in the 80's. I'd be lying if I said I didn't get zapped a few times.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

36 minutes ago, Gray Beard said:

I had a neighbor who was a fan of Lawn Boy mowers.  They were small (because of the 2 cycle engine) and had that funky asymmetrical wheel arrangement with the grass chute toward the front. 

Exactly.  The offset front wheel was supposedly done to minimize 'scalping' of turf, and it was effective.  Originally cast magnesium mower decks, which gave way to aluminum.  Over the years, the brand was operated under various parent corporations, and cheapened to just another mower.

• Like (+1) 2

I had a Lawn Boy for 20 years . It was one of the old models that lasted, not like the newer ones that became cheapened

by the changes in the parent corporations.  One day it just fell apart.20 years ?  Yeah I got my monies worth

• Like (+1) 2

15 hours ago, T&C said:

Safest EVER made lol... early 60's.

No photo description available.

This a hoot.

I remember cars with large trunks.  We would ride in the trunks on a short trip to town.

Or to the drive in movies on Military Road in NF.  Mom and dad would pay for two.

Somehow there were 5 of us watching the movie.

Besides they made their $$ at the concession stand.

51 minutes ago, LewPort71 said:

This a hoot.

I remember cars with large trunks.  We would ride in the trunks on a short trip to town.

Or to the drive in movies on Military Road in NF.  Mom and dad would pay for two.

Somehow there were 5 of us watching the movie.

Besides they made their $$ at the concession stand.

I remember when Chevrolet produced three sizes of station wagons, the Nova line had its own wagon.  Riding home from Thunder Bay beach, three of us 11 year olds sitting on the fold down tailgate of one of these, Mrs. C driving.  Granted, she was easily persuaded; today she would be serving 1-3 years for child abuse.  We three kids would be in reform school.

7 minutes ago, Ridgewaycynic2013 said:

I remember when Chevrolet produced three sizes of station wagons, the Nova line had its own wagon.  Riding home from Thunder Bay beach, three of us 11 year olds sitting on the fold down tailgate of one of these, Mrs. C driving.  Granted, she was easily persuaded; today she would be serving 1-3 years for child abuse.  We three kids would be in reform school.

I have fond memories of the station wagons of my youth.  
Ford also had three sizes of wagons: Falcon, Tempest/Torino, and Galaxy versions.

Chrysler-Plymouth-Dodge also had various wagons, bit I don’t remember their model names.

• Like (+1) 1

I have fond memories of the station wagons of my youth.  
Ford also had three sizes of wagons: Falcon, Tempest/Torino, and Galaxy versions.

Chrysler-Plymouth-Dodge also had various wagons, bit I don’t remember their model names.

We had a 1970 Falcon station wagon with standard transmission... on the column. Reliable car, that's for sure. Forest green. Later on the parents got another one, a light blue Torino. At that time I bought my Dad's 68 Falcon for $50. My first car, loved that thing... boasted a massive 200 motor lol.

• Thank you (+1) 1

48 minutes ago, T&C said:

We had a 1970 Falcon station wagon with standard transmission... on the column. Reliable car, that's for sure. Forest green. Later on the parents got another one, a light blue Torino. At that time I bought my Dad's 68 Falcon for $50. My first car, loved that thing... boasted a massive 200 motor lol.

My first car was my parents’ 69 Ford Ranch Wagon.  That thing was BIG, based on the Galaxy with a 390 V8.  They let me take it to college in my senior year (1979) so that they wouldn’t have to drop me off and pick me up. I should have kept it, but instead I bought a beat up 73 Toyota Celica with a 4 speed manual.  Cute car, but not practical at all.

My first car was my parents’ 69 Ford Ranch Wagon.  That thing was BIG, based on the Galaxy with a 390 V8.  They let me take it to college in my senior year (1979) so that they wouldn’t have to drop me off and pick me up. I should have kept it, but instead I bought a beat up 73 Toyota Celica with a 4 speed manual.  Cute car, but not practical at all.

Still, those were the days when people could actually work on their own cars. 

• Like (+1) 1

20 hours ago, Ridgewaycynic2013 said:

Try some of your new avatar on it?  ?

This is what happens when your thumb hits

<< instead of PREV  ?

The more y'all hate on MW, the longer it stays. You're feeding the fire and I'm slathering it on heavy!

• Haha (+1) 1

8 minutes ago, Seasons1992 said:

The more y'all hate on MW, the longer it stays. You're feeding the fire and I'm slathering it on heavy!

Good sir, mine was a serendipitous miskeying of my screen, resulting in a sincere suggestion that might have resulted in rendering that aspic salad palatable at future family gatherings.  ?

Or as my Bride #2 might phrase it, "FOAD".

??

Edited by Ridgewaycynic2013

2 minutes ago, Ridgewaycynic2013 said:

Good sir, mine was a serendipitous miskeying of my screen, resulting in a sincere suggestion that might have resulted in rendering that aspic salad palatable at future family gatherings.  ?

Forgiven and not reported. Now, go make yourself a PB and MW sando....

pic5KyCaW.jpg

• Thank you (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Seasons1992 said:

Wait... I'm one of the ones who support MW. My mom always used it in her tuna/macaroni/celery salad... with sliced hard boiled eggs and paprika on the top. Got better every day till it was gone. Like it on "some" sandwiches too... mainly a good deli bologna/cheese sandwich.

Now that we're on to the condiments lol nothing screams 60's/70's like this one. I bought a bottle a couple of weeks ago after 25 years or so of forgetting all about it.

WHAT'S IN THE LEADING GRAVIES AND GRAVY MIXES? — Ingredient Inspector

5 hours ago, T&C said:

Wait... I'm one of the ones who support MW. My mom always used it in her tuna/macaroni/celery salad... with sliced hard boiled eggs and paprika on the top. Got better every day till it was gone. Like it on "some" sandwiches too... mainly a good deli bologna/cheese sandwich.

Now that we're on to the condiments lol nothing screams 60's/70's like this one. I bought a bottle a couple of weeks ago after 25 years or so of forgetting all about it.

WHAT'S IN THE LEADING GRAVIES AND GRAVY MIXES? — Ingredient Inspector

it’s nice to have a sane person on my side.

• Like (+1) 1

On 5/23/2020 at 5:29 PM, T&C said:

Safest EVER made lol... early 60's.

No photo description available.

This looks more like a “Slingshot For Babies”, but I guess that might not sell as well. 

38 minutes ago, Seasons1992 said:

it’s nice to have a sane person on my side.

Is that rare for you?  :)

Edited by Augie

• 2 weeks later...
This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.