Covid-19 discussion and humor thread [Was: CDC says don't touch your face to avoid Covid19...Vets to the rescue!

8 minutes ago, SlimShady'sGhost said:

@Hapless Bills Fan

Do you know or have read how many test kits are available to the public? 

Short answer: No.  As of about a week ago, CDC had sent about 7,500 out was the best estimate from an article in the Atlantic.

They are ramping up their own production.  They have also now given independent medical labs like Labcorps and Quest and some universities permission to develop their own tests under guidelines.  Some universities (U of Washington for example) have said they will allow their graduate students to volunteer to perform testing instead of their usual research for the duration of crisis, which is actually a very smart way to boost capacity quickly.

Some other countries are said to have developed a rapid screening kit (15 minutes).  I hope we are looking into transferring that technology, but probably they are focused first on ramping up the working test they have.

16 minutes ago, Jrb1979 said:

After seeing how Canada and the U.S. is now closing schools and other facilities to help slow the spread, why not shut down airports too. Airports is where a majority of the cases come from. 

Like I said above though, for how long? You think if they shut em down for two months, and then reopen them, nobody with Covid-19 is gonna come through at that time?

4 minutes ago, John in Jax said:

Like I said above though, for how long? You think if they shut em down for two months, and then reopen them, nobody with Covid-19 is gonna come through at that time?

You shut them down for as long as need be. Til this starts to slow down. If people really want to travel they will have to go on road trips. 

21 minutes ago, John in Jax said:

No, but it will give us a chance to get our feet under us since we are badly on our heels in response already.

Get the tests shipped and distributed. And get those who are already infected treated and out of the hospital so we can turn their beds for the next wave.

2 minutes ago, DrDawkinstein said:

No, but it will give us a chance to get our feet under us since we are badly on our heels in response already.

Get the tests shipped and distributed. And get those who are already infected treated and out of the hospital so we can turn their beds for the next wave.

AFAIK, there’s no treatment, other than maybe giving O2 (through a mask) to a patient who has a severe case, and is having shortness of breath. I think that everybody else just has to wait it out, and hope that their body has enough germ/virus fighting power to get through it. Not sure what they can do for you in the hospital, other than give you the O2.

Btw, the governor of my state just said that everybody who has been directed by a physician to get tested, has been able to get tested. Of course they’ll never have enough tests if they let the general public make the decision about getting tested.

1 hour ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

Short answer: No.  As of about a week ago, CDC had sent about 7,500 out was the best estimate from an article in the Atlantic.

They are ramping up their own production.  They have also now given independent medical labs like Labcorps and Quest and some universities permission to develop their own tests under guidelines.  Some universities (U of Washington for example) have said they will allow their graduate students to volunteer to perform testing instead of their usual research for the duration of crisis, which is actually a very smart way to boost capacity quickly.

Some other countries are said to have developed a rapid screening kit (15 minutes).  I hope we are looking into transferring that technology, but probably they are focused first on ramping up the working test they have.

Just saw this on Twitter. Hopefully it’s true. It could be a big help to us right now if it is.

7 minutes ago, John in Jax said:

AFAIK, there’s no treatment, other than maybe giving O2 (through a mask) to a patient who has a severe case, and is having shortness of breath. I think that everybody else just has to wait it out, and hope that their body has enough germ/virus fighting power to get through it. Not sure what they can do for you in the hospital, other than give you the O2.

Btw, the governor of my state just said that everybody who has been directed by a physician to get tested, has been able to get tested. Of course they’ll never have enough tests if they let the general public make the decision about getting tested.

Not let you die is what they do in the hospital. Just like the thousands of Chinese who went to the hospital, and like the people here are doing. Speaking of the severe cases and those who are already vulnerable (elderly and compromised immune systems).

South Korea is testing about 20,000 people a day, and has been for weeks, and even have drive thrus set up. So while I can agree it isnt feasible to open it up to all 300,000,000 Americans, we can certainly be doing a lot better than we have been.

There are also articles published this week about people who are sick, and have the symptoms, and whose Doctors refuse to order a test. So all these statements like "everyone who has been directed to get a test has been tested", and "the US has a lower infection rate" (due to the lack of testing), are BS. We all need to see through that BS.

16 minutes ago, K-9 said:

Yep. I made a totally non political, one sentence comment to this post yesterday and it was deleted. I’m not sure what happened as it was hours before I got back to the thread after my post. Guess it was taken the wrong way by somebody. Anyway, it’s best to leave the overt political talk to that cesspool PPP board. People are extremely defensive lately. Doesn’t take much to touch a nerve. Even by accident. Regardless, we are all in this together. 

I thought we were all in this separately.  Or have I misunderstood the whole home isolation thing?

• Haha (+1) 2
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

I just went grocery shopping for my 92 year old mother to keep her from being exposed by being out. I have NEVER seen anything like that at a grocery store (a HUGE Publix). This was like the day before Thanksgiving times five. I couldn’t park in the Publix lot, had to chase someone down as they loaded the car to get a cart, then got the last banana (singular) in the store, there was no bread, the meat sections were bare. You just grabbed whatever they had left.......CRAZY!

The wife is working from home and I’m going to hunker down like it’s a different kind of hurricane situation. Thankfully, they still had plenty of beer and wine!

1 minute ago, Augie said:

I just went grocery shopping for my 92 year old mother to keep her from being exposed by being out. I have NEVER seen anything like that at a grocery store (a HUGE Publix). This was like the day before Thanksgiving times five. I couldn’t park in the Publix lot, had to chase someone down as they loaded the car to get a cart, then got the last banana (singular) in the store, there was no bread, the meat sections were bare. You just grabbed whatever they had left.......CRAZY!

The wife is working from home and I’m going to hunker down like it’s a different kind of hurricane situation. Thankfully, they still had plenty of beer and wine!

Same with Costco last night where I am. One employee told me there was a first fight earlier in the day over TP.

8 minutes ago, RaoulDuke79 said:

Same with Costco last night where I am. One employee told me there was a first fight earlier in the day over TP.

A buddy in Cincinnati sent a video of a Walmart as he walked up and down several completely empty aisles. Friends in other areas report no big deal. Both Cincinnati and a hospital up the road from us have recently had the first deaths in the area. I wonder if that’s what triggers it? It certainly seems to vary by area. 

Edited by Augie

2 hours ago, Jrb1979 said:

After seeing how Canada and the U.S. is now closing schools and other facilities to help slow the spread, why not shut down airports too. Airports is where a majority of the cases come from. 

That’s a fair question.  Everything we know suggests sitting cheek by jowl in a “passenger mailing tube” is a great way to spread infection

9 minutes ago, Augie said:

A buddy in Cincinnati sent a video of a Walmart as he walked up and down several completely empty aisles. Friends in other areas report no big deal. Both Cincinnati and a hospital up the road from us have recently had the first deaths in the area. I wonder if that’s what triggers it? It certainly seems to vary by area. 

That's what my concern has been. Not necessarily the virus, but the reactions.

• Thank you (+1) 1