Baker Mayfield has fudgie footwork, VanPelt to fix

HOUSE

1 minute ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

That's all well and good

But if Mayfield is his job...his job sounds like QB coach, not OC, to me.

They probably figure that Stefanski will handle a lot of the OC stuff and just gave AVP the title to get him to take the job since he was QB coach in Cincy 

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, YoloinOhio said:

They probably figure that Stefanski will handle a lot of the OC stuff and just gave AVP the title to get him to take the job since he was QB coach in Cincy 

Fair.  Whether it's the best plan to have a relatively inexperienced rookie HC try to be effectively a HC/OC is another question then

So if you and @BarleyNY have some Browns stuff, is the Cheesecake Factory kerfluffle a nothing-burger that will fade away quietly?

4 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

Fair.  Whether it's the best plan to have a relatively inexperienced rookie HC try to be effectively a HC/OC is another question then

So if you and @BarleyNY have some Browns stuff, is the Cheesecake Factory kerfluffle a nothing-burger that will fade away quietly?

I don’t know any real Browns info really, though i have many friends who are browns “die hards” and discuss them constantly. The Cheesecake Factory story didn’t gain traction on the local radio shows because the stations are in process of negotiating contracts with the team and don’t want to make them mad by being “negative” ... it’s entertaining to see them dance around it but he’s lucky it came out in February. Some podcasts have been very critical, but not the actual radio stations

Edited by YoloinOhio
  • Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

That's all well and good

Stefanski was an OC.  He’ll be heading up the offense and is expected to call plays this year.  It’s not any different than many other teams where the HC is in charge of one side of the ball.  McD called the defensive plays in 2018.  Honestly I’m not sure if he called them last season or not, but it’s still his defense.  

Rumors floating around is that it would be in line with typical Baker activity, but that it is not an issue with Emily.  That is just rumor, however.  

20 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

“Not an issue with Emily” meaning she knows and she’s OK with it?

Yes, but I don’t have any specifics on that (two way street, one way street, rules, whatever).  And again, that’s all just unverified rumor.

13 hours ago, BarleyNY said:

Stefanski was an OC.  He’ll be heading up the offense and is expected to call plays this year.  It’s not any different than many other teams where the HC is in charge of one side of the ball.  McD called the defensive plays in 2018.  Honestly I’m not sure if he called them last season or not, but it’s still his defense.  

He called SOME defensive plays in 2018.

15 hours ago, BarleyNY said:

A couple media people I know who report on the Browns had this to say about Van Pelt:

- Mayfield will be his job

- he’s a teacher, not a buddy

- he holds everyone accountable 

- he’s a quality QB coach

- Aaron Rodgers loved him

- he will coach hard if needed

Aaron Rodgers was really mad at coaching staff for cutting Van Pelt.

Van Pelt is supposedly very good at getting hard headed QBs to look at stuff analytically which makes him a good match for Mayfield and a loss for Bengals.

14 hours ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

That's all well and good

14 hours ago, YoloinOhio said:

Whether they gave him title or not Bengals could have not allowed to move to a division rival but they have enough difficulty recruiting coaches.

• Like (+1) 1

11 minutes ago, Limeaid said:

He called SOME defensive plays in 2018.

Aaron Rodgers was really mad at coaching staff for cutting Van Pelt.

Van Pelt is supposedly very good at getting hard headed QBs to look at stuff analytically which makes him a good match for Mayfield and a loss for Bengals.

Whether they gave him title or not Bengals could have not allowed to move to a division rival but they have enough difficulty recruiting coaches.

Right, they could have - but most teams won’t block a promotion 

16 hours ago, BarleyNY said:

A couple media people I know who report on the Browns had this to say about Van Pelt:

- Mayfield will be his job

- he’s a teacher, not a buddy

- he holds everyone accountable 

- he’s a quality QB coach

- Aaron Rodgers loved him

- he will coach hard if needed

I believe he’s a good QB coach. His job is Baker because this is a make or break year for him and they need to know if they need to draft a QB in 2021. There isn’t anyone there who is tied to Baker anymore. So if he is bad, or immature, or doesn’t work hard in the offseason again, etc, they don’t really need to feel committed to him for that 4th year. They didn’t draft him.  If he doesn’t improve - significantly - from  last year, I think they won’t hesitate to trade him and move on.

He has his work cut out for him too. 4th OC in 3 years, both top WRs had surgeries that will keep them out through most of the preseason if not all, learning a new offense, changing his footwork, and dealing with a lot of negativity around him in the media (which he’s accountable for btw). On the plus side, this offense is QB friendly and should put him in position to look good (a lot of play action, run heavy, with talent in that area). If they can improve the OL and get the defense back to form with Garrett back things could go well. But big question marks. I won’t be surprised if they take a WR in the first if say Jeudy is there at 10. especially if they can sign an OT in FA. 

Edited by YoloinOhio
  • Like (+1) 1

3 hours ago, YoloinOhio said:

I believe he’s a good QB coach. His job is Baker because this is a make or break year for him and they need to know if they need to draft a QB in 2021. There isn’t anyone there who is tied to Baker anymore. So if he is bad, or immature, or doesn’t work hard in the offseason again, etc, they don’t really need to feel committed to him for that 4th year. They didn’t draft him.  If he doesn’t improve - significantly - from  last year, I think they won’t hesitate to trade him and move on.

He has his work cut out for him too. 4th OC in 3 years, both top WRs had surgeries that will keep them out through most of the preseason if not all, learning a new offense, changing his footwork, and dealing with a lot of negativity around him in the media (which he’s accountable for btw). On the plus side, this offense is QB friendly and should put him in position to look good (a lot of play action, run heavy, with talent in that area). If they can improve the OL and get the defense back to form with Garrett back things could go well. But big question marks. I won’t be surprised if they take a WR in the first if say Jeudy is there at 10. especially if they can sign an OT in FA. 

I pretty well agree with all of that.  The only exceptions are that: 1) I do not see the Browns moving on from Baker that quickly unless he is a disaster this season and 2) they need two starting OTs, not just one.

On 2/21/2020 at 10:23 AM, Hapless Bills Fan said:

Was it....softer than Peterman?  Van Pelt did throw 10 INT in 6 games (3 starts) in 1997, but the max. per game was 3

I do think Mayfield is going to epitomize the joke about the "mule trained with loving kindness" to Van Pelt:

"first, you gotta get his attention"

no not as bad as peterman. and pills was a better qb as well 

Has anyone seen Josh Allen with his shirt off?  He seems to favor loose baggy styles, just sayin'

Not sure, but based on that pic, Baker's fitness plan is definitely not working thus far. 

1 minute ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

No Lie, but unclear when said photo was taken

Yeah. Could be old. I'm not in the business of ridiculing a guy for a less than stellar physique; I'm sure plenty of QB's have excelled without six packs. 

Just sayin; he stuck out like a sore thumb in that pic and not because of the "other" factor.

Also somewhat ironic given that his new OC is Pill; (loved seeing him get a shot at the end of his time here FWIW, but not exactly a role model for someone trying to slim down).

I don't care for Mayfield and he's not on the Bills so I have no rooting interest, but I think there's still a "decent" shot he develops into a quality starter.