Baker Mayfield has fudgie footwork, VanPelt to fix

HOUSE

So there’s this article from Parrino.  Seems Van Pelt doesn’t want Mayfield working with someone else:

Van Pelt is planning to alter Mayfield’s footwork mechanics and had an interesting take when it comes to who he wants his quarterback working with this offseason.

“No disrespect to any of the guys that work with the quarterbacks,’’ Van Pelt said, according to Cleveland.com. “They all do a great job, but I would like to consider myself in that area and I’d like to have him do it how we would do it here. So if somebody’s on board with how we do it, (fine), but I’d hate to have him go somewhere else and teach him a different set of footwork or drill work."

Different viewpoint than Daboll/Dorsey and McDermott express, at least publicly:

The Bills’ organization is supportive when it comes to Allen working with Palmer. Bills coach Sean McDermott mentioned Allen’s work with Palmer as being a positive part of his growth and thinks continued time with Palmer will help him further.

38 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

So there’s this article from Parrino.  Seems Van Pelt doesn’t want Mayfield working with someone else:

Van Pelt is planning to alter Mayfield’s footwork mechanics and had an interesting take when it comes to who he wants his quarterback working with this offseason.

“No disrespect to any of the guys that work with the quarterbacks,’’ Van Pelt said, according to Cleveland.com. “They all do a great job, but I would like to consider myself in that area and I’d like to have him do it how we would do it here. So if somebody’s on board with how we do it, (fine), but I’d hate to have him go somewhere else and teach him a different set of footwork or drill work."

Different viewpoint than Daboll/Dorsey and McDermott express, at least publicly:

The Bills’ organization is supportive when it comes to Allen working with Palmer. Bills coach Sean McDermott mentioned Allen’s work with Palmer as being a positive part of his growth and thinks continued time with Palmer will help him further.

Just read that. Van Pelt just wants whoever Mayfield works with to be in tune with Van Pelt's own techniques. But it's a non-issue since Mayfield isn't working with anyone, anyway.

It seems like totally the wrong approach. The QB should get all that work done away from team practice. Then team practice is all about  executing the offense, not so much about mechanics.

Maybe since Van Pelt is new to the Browns, he doesn't trust that Mayfield can apply someone else's teachings to the Browns' specific offense.

• Awesome! (+1) 1

20 hours ago, rayray808 said:

his rookie cards have tanked... the hobby knows

Where are Josh's at? I was collecting for a little while a couple years ago, tried getting each Bills draft class from like, 2013 (anyone want some Robert Woods autographed rookie cards? Haha) and forward but I petered out around 2017. Still would like to get a few JA cards but have never liked dishing out $50 or more for a single card.

6 hours ago, blacklabel said:

Where are Josh's at? I was collecting for a little while a couple years ago, tried getting each Bills draft class from like, 2013 (anyone want some Robert Woods autographed rookie cards? Haha) and forward but I petered out around 2017. Still would like to get a few JA cards but have never liked dishing out $50 or more for a single card.

Josh has been around the same price as Darnold. Baker was the king last year, but Lamar Jackson blazed past all of them. Ballpark rankings of a contenders rookie ticket graded at a BGS 9.5...

- Lamar Jackson - $2,400

- Baker Mayfield - $650

- Josh Allen - $350

- Sam Darnold - $320

- Josh Rosen - $60

**Pat Mahomes - $11,000

• Like (+1) 1

21 hours ago, LeGOATski said:

Just read that. Van Pelt just wants whoever Mayfield works with to be in tune with Van Pelt's own techniques. But it's a non-issue since Mayfield isn't working with anyone, anyway.

It seems like totally the wrong approach. The QB should get all that work done away from team practice. Then team practice is all about  executing the offense, not so much about mechanics.

Maybe since Van Pelt is new to the Browns, he doesn't trust that Mayfield can apply someone else's teachings to the Browns' specific offense.

I agree with you that team practice is all about executing the offense, especially when it’s a new offense

I’m a little surprised this isn’t more of a story; it seems like usually, a #1 overall draft pick going into his 3rd season doesn’t have his coaches talking about changing his footwork.  But if you’re gonna try to change it....work on it off-season.  Maybe it is a story, just not in places I look.

Van Pelt plans to serve as the QB coach as well. 

Kind of strikes me as inability to delegate or lack of trust/insecurity - I think a new OC had better focus on his offense and have a QB coach to help his QBs

But maybe Stefanski is the real OC....in which case see above

I don’t really care what the Brownies do, just strikes me as curious

21 hours ago, LeGOATski said:

I know I already followed this post, so excuse....but I just had the thought that actually, Mayfield has said he isn't working with anyone ELSE as a QB coach.  But that's not the same as "not working with anyone", is it now?

Mayfield is working with himself, as his own QB coach.  I think that means, fundamentally, he doesn't trust anyone else.

Van Pelt doesn't want Mayfield working with anyone else, which sounds to me like fundamentally he doesn't trust anyone else.

Hmmmmm....

14 hours ago, rayray808 said:

Josh has been around the same price as Darnold. Baker was the king last year, but Lamar Jackson blazed past all of them. Ballpark rankings of a contenders rookie ticket graded at a BGS 9.5...

- Lamar Jackson - $2,400

- Baker Mayfield - $650

- Josh Allen - $350

- Sam Darnold - $320

- Josh Rosen - $60

**Pat Mahomes - $11,000

Holy schnikes! Contenders are always the hot set of the year. I'll probably snag a cheap-o from a different set at some point. 11k for Mahomes, dang. Best I ever did on a single card was a 1/21 Cracked Ice Contenders Montee Ball auto. Anyone remember that guy? Anywho, some poor schmuck in Colorado bought it off me through eBay for $180. Dude was out of the league like, maybe a year later, if that.

• Thank you (+1) 1

On 2/19/2020 at 1:04 PM, C.Biscuit97 said:

I loved Van Pelt when he was here but what exactly has done at the nfl level?  Wasn’t he just basically Rodgers coffee boy?  

he threw the softest football i have ever seen. same trajectory as a wounded duck but slower moving.

20 minutes ago, Tcali said:

he threw the softest football i have ever seen. same trajectory as a wounded duck but slower moving.

Was it....softer than Peterman?  Van Pelt did throw 10 INT in 6 games (3 starts) in 1997, but the max. per game was 3

I do think Mayfield is going to epitomize the joke about the "mule trained with loving kindness" to Van Pelt:

"first, you gotta get his attention"

6 hours ago, dneveu said:

They kept his offensive coordinator - and promoted him to HC.  That guy then fired the QB coach.  Seems like the QB coach may have had more to do with mayfields success than kitchens.

Ken Zampese was the Browns QB coach in 2018.  You are correct in your assessment. Mayfield respected him and they worked well together.  In 2019 Kitchens did not retain Zampese and moved Ryan Lindley from RB coach to QB coach.  Lindley had been a QB, but he and Mayfield pretty much hated each other.  Mayfield didn’t respect him or listen to him - and it showed.

I am not assigning blame on that.  On one hand Mayfield worked well with his previous coach.  On the other he sure didn’t put in the time he should’ve in the off-season leading up to the 2019 season.  We will now see who Mayfield is.  He has seen what coasting results in and he now has Stefanski as HC/de facto OC.  He has gotten a lot out of his QBs in the past.  He’s also got Van Pelt as OC/de facto QB coach.  His main job is to get Mayfield in order and he is a guy known for hard coaching.  The pieces are in place so if Mayfield fails, it’s on him.

39 minutes ago, BarleyNY said:

Ken Zampese was the Browns QB coach in 2018.  You are correct in your assessment. Mayfield respected him and they worked well together.  In 2019 Kitchens did not retain Zampese and moved Ryan Lindley from RB coach to QB coach.  Lindley had been a QB, but he and Mayfield pretty much hated each other.  Mayfield didn’t respect him or listen to him - and it showed.

I am not assigning blame on that.  On one hand Mayfield worked well with his previous coach.  On the other he sure didn’t put in the time he should’ve in the off-season leading up to the 2019 season.  We will now see who Mayfield is.  He has seen what coasting results in and he now has Stefanski as HC/de facto OC.  He has gotten a lot out of his QBs in the past.  He’s also got Van Pelt as OC/de facto QB coach.  His main job is to get Mayfield in order and he is a guy known for hard coaching.  The pieces are in place so if Mayfield fails, it’s on him.

I'm not doubting you, but I'm curious why you say Van Pelt is known for hard coaching?  And do you feel that hard coaching has shown hard results by any metric?

AVP prev. stints as QB coach:

Tampa Bay 2010,2011

Green Bay 2014-2017

Cincinnati 2018,2019

Obviously, Rodgers did very well between 2014 and 2017, but Rodgers has done well long before, and since.....

Freeman had a good year in 2010, but regressed in 2011 - more TD than INT

The wheels kind of fell off Dalton the last 2 years, but they were kind of slipping the previous year so hard to either credit or blame

1 hour ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

I'm not doubting you, but I'm curious why you say Van Pelt is known for hard coaching?  And do you feel that hard coaching has shown hard results by any metric?

AVP prev. stints as QB coach:

Tampa Bay 2010,2011

Green Bay 2014-2017

Cincinnati 2018,2019

Obviously, Rodgers did very well between 2014 and 2017, but Rodgers has done well long before, and since.....

Freeman had a good year in 2010, but regressed in 2011 - more TD than INT

The wheels kind of fell off Dalton the last 2 years, but they were kind of slipping the previous year so hard to either credit or blame

A couple media people I know who report on the Browns had this to say about Van Pelt:

- Mayfield will be his job

- he’s a teacher, not a buddy

- he holds everyone accountable 

- he’s a quality QB coach

- Aaron Rodgers loved him

- he will coach hard if needed

On 2/19/2020 at 4:21 PM, rayray808 said:

his rookie cards have tanked... the hobby knows

Lol you’re not kidding. Every now and then I’ll buy a pack of cards at target when I’m shopping and I pulled a baker RC 2 years ago. Checked the value on it a few weeks ago and it dropped ? 

1 hour ago, BarleyNY said:

A couple media people I know who report on the Browns had this to say about Van Pelt:

- Mayfield will be his job

- he’s a teacher, not a buddy

- he holds everyone accountable 

- he’s a quality QB coach

- Aaron Rodgers loved him

- he will coach hard if needed

That's all well and good

But if Mayfield is his job...his job sounds like QB coach, not OC, to me.