Baker Mayfield has fudgie footwork, VanPelt to fix

HOUSE

26 minutes ago, White Linen said:

I've long thought the footwork cliche is so overrated.  I'm not saying it doesn't matter, so please don't attack.  I'm just saying when watching today's NFL and how offensive lines change yearly for every team - clean pockets where mechanics and footwork were paramount, hardly exist.  

These QB's throw off balanced and on the run, most of the time.  Now if there's some way to improve footwork on that, fine.  5-7 step drops, hop hop and throw, happen more rarely.  

I’d imagine, best ways to move in the pocket as well as outside and then resetting would qualify 

40 minutes ago, White Linen said:

I've long thought the footwork cliche is so overrated.  I'm not saying it doesn't matter, so please don't attack.  I'm just saying when watching today's NFL and how offensive lines change yearly for every team - clean pockets where mechanics and footwork were paramount, hardly exist.  

These QB's throw off balanced and on the run, most of the time.  Now if there's some way to improve footwork on that, fine.  5-7 step drops, hop hop and throw, happen more rarely.  

You can still have good or bad mechanics while throwing on the run.  

Foot placement is actually key while throwing on the run and makes a big difference

Edited by Buffalo716
  • Like (+1) 2

2 minutes ago, White Linen said:

I suppose.  I doubt that's what Vanpelt is speaking to.

Van pelt is clearly talking about his mechanics in his drop and set up which I also noticed was off 

But I think Baker has drop issues because he can't clearly see over the line

4 hours ago, White Linen said:

Throwing off balance is precisely a footwork problem, in many cases. Not if you're knocked off-balance obviously, but a lot of times the reason you're off balance is that you didn't use your feet correctly.

Footwork is important in crowded pockets, and there's a specific type of footwork that's best for throwing on the run. It's an issue. It doesn't solve everything by any means, but it helps. On the other hand, some guys can't change things, their bad or good habits are too deeply ingrained.

It's worth looking at, though.

For what it's worth, AVP is a smart cookie and if Mayfield will listen, he's likely to learn something.

Sigh. Back to grading student papers. Shouldn't even have written this.

Edited by Thurman#1

1 hour ago, Thurman#1 said:

Throwing off balance is precisely a footwork problem, in many cases. Not if you're knocked off-balance obviously, but a lot of times the reason you're off balance is that you didn't use your feet correctly.

Footwork is important in crowded pockets, and there's a specific type of footwork that's best for throwing on the run. It's an issue. It doesn't solve everything by any means, but it helps. On the other hand, some guys can't change things, their bad or good habits are too deeply ingrained.

It's worth looking at, though.

For what it's worth, AVP is a smart cookie and if Mayfield will listen, he's likely to learn something.

Sigh. Back to grading student papers. Shouldn't even have written this.

I'm speaking of throwing off balance because defenses are forcing pocket passing out of the game and IMO, the reason for the emergence of QB's needing to throw outside the confines of traditional footwork.

14 minutes ago, Royale with Cheese said:

What's he up to this weekend?  Maybe we'll grab a polish sausage and a Miller Lite.

he's an accountant and it's tax season, so you may have to wait until after mid april.  the dude is two months from being 80, and he's still cranking out work.

16 hours ago, White Linen said:

You can still have good form when moving. You see it all the time with Brady, he moves and sets. Even when he throws on the run, his arm is always at the same level. Its actually pretty incredible

So it may not necessarily be "footwork" as just mechanics in general. When EJ was benched after the Texans game a few years ago, his footwork in the game was atrocious and IMO was why he was benched. He needed to get out of game reps and focused on fundamentals if he was going to have any shot 

41 minutes ago, Royale with Cheese said:

What's he up to this weekend?  Maybe we'll grab a polish sausage and a Miller Lite.

TMI bro