Cut or Trade candidates

Dkollidas

On 2/7/2020 at 4:03 PM, Reed83HOF said:

"...we on the personnel side will look at it with our own eyes. Sean and his coaches are in the meeting room and might like (a certain player) more because they’ve become buddies and see the game the same way and communicate well.

“I stand back and look at it from a distance. Maybe he doesn’t want to teach a new guy, who has just a little more ability, the ins and outs of his system. It’s my job to press him on that if I think there are players who make us better in the draft or free agency.”

I really wonder who they're talking about there and/or if it's more than one coach/player pairing?  Beane said something similar in one of his post-season radio interviews - something to the effect that "just because you're friends with the coaches and go out to dinner doesn't mean you're going to stick around if you don't play well" or words to that effect.  There has to be a guy, or a couple guys, they have in mind.

I don't see the above as contradicting what I said though.  I just think it means that leadership in the sense of being a player who has "stature" and personality to go to the other players at his position and demand both coachability and accountability, is one of the traits McDermott insists they consider.  I don't see "keep the leadership" as "keep the player" - he recognizes there will be attrition.  He just wants to keep players in each room who are able and willing to be leaders and be an interface between the coaches and the players.

There was an article about Jordan Phillips that interviewed him and various teammates and attributed his success here in part to becoming more coachable - it told an anecdote about Frazier laying into him in a defensive meeting.  He was sitting next to Star, who could see him starting to build up a head of steam and reached over and put a hand on his arm: "take it in".  Similar anecdote in the "NFL Confidential" book I reviewed - "Johnny", the backup center/author, goes off on the OL coach after he is given feedback during a drill.  In the locker room, the starting center (who hasn't interacted with him much) comes over and sits next to him: "Johnny - Be coachable" and points out that the coach is riding him because he sees him as having potential.

That's the sort of thing McDermott means, I think.

• Like (+1) 1

What about Sean Lee he is going to be a FA this year more than likely would be a replacement for Zo & could probably be gotten for a decent contract, he still has some left in the tank & wants to play plus would be that veteran guy in the room !! 

5 minutes ago, T master said:

What about Sean Lee he is going to be a FA this year more than likely would be a replacement for Zo & could probably be gotten for a decent contract, he still has some left in the tank & wants to play plus would be that veteran guy in the room !! 

This is a good idea.  He may not be able to give a 16 game, full time effort but can be a role player.

On 2/10/2020 at 12:58 PM, DJB said:

I could see Thomas Davis getting cut by the Chargers and the Bills pick him up. Hed be our vet to replace Lorax. 

Greg Olsen

Mario Addison

Gerald McCoy

Thomas Davis

Josh Norman

Luke Kuechly(sign as coach,  activates if team makes playoffs and needs help)

Lotta' potential "former Panthers" options McBeane could look at this offseason.

• Haha (+1) 1

23 minutes ago, BADOLBILZ said:

Greg Olsen

Mario Addison

Gerald McCoy

Thomas Davis

Josh Norman

Lotta' potential "former Panthers" options McBeane could look at this offseason.

I’ll take one of each please 

On 2/7/2020 at 4:22 PM, Kirby Jackson said:

This may not be the place but can we PLEASE stop with the whole “process guy” thing. We traded for Antonio Brown last year!! The Bills certainly value culture but they absolutely value talent.

"We" (The Bills) traded for Antonio Brown last year?  No the Bills did not - they inquired about cost and turned it down.

2 hours ago, BADOLBILZ said:

Greg Olsen

Mario Addison

Gerald McCoy

Thomas Davis

Josh Norman

But funny enough it's not far fetched with how our regime operates.  

I literally went through Carolinas free agent list so I can get used to at least one new player on the Bills lol

45 minutes ago, DJB said:

But funny enough it's not far fetched with how our regime operates.  

I literally went through Carolinas free agent list so I can get used to at least one new player on the Bills lol

I will be surprised if there aren't a couple of them in Buffalo next season.

And I don't mind..........most of those guys were great fits in their defense and can still play or should be very cheap or both.

• Like (+1) 1

Two guys I think they could go after are Everson Griffen & Calais Campbell.

Campbell is a bit long in the tooth at 34yrs old, but he’s a big guy, and Jacksonville will likely be looking to rework their cap

1) to save the franchise actual cash money.

2) to create some cap space in order to bring back Ngakoue, or at least tag him. 

Minnesota is also in a rough cap situation and basically has a team option on Griffen (according to Spotrac). They might just not pick it up and he could be a free agent.

I could see Jacksonville looking to get a mid-late round pick for Campbell though. 

• 1 month later...
On 2/7/2020 at 8:33 PM, Hapless Bills Fan said:

Given the talk about the Bills being willing to negotiate for AB, it may not make a difference, but apparently Diggs is a bit of a ...

anyway, in this fluff piece, 4 Vikings are clear and unambiguous that he's the guy on the team they would LEAST like to date their sister

Do you have a sister?