Cut or Trade candidates

Dkollidas

Obviously we all know the big name free agents, Ngakoue, Cooper, Hooper, etc.

What I want to look at here is who people are looking at for some low key additions. 

Either:

1) A trade candidate i.e. Stephon Diggs, or Alshon Jeffrey, or Ryan Kerrigan 

2) guys who could be cut or have club options not picked up i.e. Everson Griffen, Carlos Dunlap or Calais Campbell. 

21 minutes ago, Rc2catch said:

I like that market much better than the current free agent market. 

Myself as well. That’s why I’m curious of who people have heard is/will be available via cut or trade. 

I also believe this is the market Beane will attack most vigorously as opposed to top tier free agents.

• Like (+1) 3

Trades work out better for teams that are working the comp pick formulas.  A team like the Seahawks can trade a 1st round pick for a guy like Clowney.  Then if he leaves after one year, they will at least get back a 3rd rounder.  Same for the Patriots (Sanu) and the Ravens (Peters). The same trade to a team not getting comp picks would effectively cost that team more.

I personally am hoping for AJ Green plus a defensive end.  Dunlap is not a splashy player, but is an extremely solid edge setter and plays with gap responsibility. The other defensive ends listed would improve our team.  For the reason stated above, I would not be a fan of trading picks.  Player for player trades work out when good players don't fit on their current team.

• Like (+1) 2

42 minutes ago, Dkollidas said:

What I want to look at here is who people are looking at for some low key additions. 

Either:

2) guys who could be cut or have club options not picked up i.e. Everson Griffen, Carlos Dunlap or Calais Campbell. 

to reiterate:

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

1 minute ago, BuffaloRebound said:

Joey Bosa most likely sits out without a new deal.  I don’t he’d cost what Mack did, but I’d pursue it if I were Beane.  

Given how good of a drafter Beane is thus far I would be unwilling to give up pick 22 and possibly another mid-round pick for Bosa AND give him a massive contract. That's exchanging a lot of your cap space and draft capital for one player. If this was Whaley or another GM who stunk at drafting I wouldn't mind doing it since the picks have lesser value if you don't know how to use them. But I would rather just use cap space to go after one of the many pass rusher on the market instead of cap and picks. 

• Like (+1) 1

7 minutes ago, billsfan89 said:

Given how good of a drafter Beane is thus far I would be unwilling to give up pick 22 and possibly another mid-round pick for Bosa AND give him a massive contract. That's exchanging a lot of your cap space and draft capital for one player. If this was Whaley or another GM who stunk at drafting I wouldn't mind doing it since the picks have lesser value if you don't know how to use them. But I would rather just use cap space to go after one of the many pass rusher on the market instead of cap and picks. 

I would pay the man.

Change Bills Defense in one fell swoop.

• Like (+1) 1

6 minutes ago, billsfan89 said:

True but Bosa is elite and a process guy.  We’re gonna have to overpay for one of the free agent edge rushers who’s not as good as Bosa.  He’s good enough and young enough to consider it.  

• Thank you (+1) 1

27 minutes ago, BuffaloRebound said:

True but Bosa is elite and a process guy.  We’re gonna have to overpay for one of the free agent edge rushers who’s not as good as Bosa.  He’s good enough and young enough to consider it.  

A process guy????? What planet are you from?

• Like (+1) 2

12 minutes ago, Kirby Jackson said:

This may not be the place but can we PLEASE stop with the whole “process guy” thing. We traded for Antonio Brown last year!! The Bills certainly value culture but they absolutely value talent.

Yeah the process is over. Leaders are in place, they have the core they wanted. Anyone gets out of line they have the players to put them in check. 

• Like (+1) 2

I really like the idea of going after Ryan Kerrigan to take over the SAM LB position. Think he would be an upgrade from Lorenzo. Hoping the Rivera, McBeane connection can make something happen. 

Edited by wppete
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

11 minutes ago, Rc2catch said:

Yeah the process is over. Leaders are in place, they have the core they wanted. Anyone gets out of line they have the players to put them in check. 

That’s exactly the point. They wanted a year or 2 to establish their expectations and build a strong locker room. Once that happened all bets were off. Antonio Brown is, arguably, the worst person in the league (or at least one of them). There is NOBODY that the Bills won’t consider if the talent, price, need and fit make sense.

2 hours ago, Dkollidas said:

Either:

I thought we already hashed out the Alshon Jeffrey situation.  He will cost the Eagles $15M in dead cap if they trade him.  Agholor is a FA.  Agholor and Jeffrey's injuries showed how thin the Eagles are at WR behind them. 

I think the Eagles will be buyers in the WR market, not sellers; if they do move on from one of the main guys they've already got, it would more likely be to not re-sign Agholor.

35 minutes ago, Kirby Jackson said:

This may not be the place but can we PLEASE stop with the whole “process guy” thing. We traded for Antonio Brown last year!! The Bills certainly value culture but they absolutely value talent.

We did WHAT?

We maybe did the due diligence of a phone call asking "if you're going to trade him, maybe we're interested, what's your asking price?" but that's a few blocks over from "trading"

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

4 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

I thought we already hashed out the Alshon Jeffrey situation.  He will cost the Eagles $15M in dead cap if they trade him.  Agholor is a FA.  Agholor and Jeffrey's injuries showed how thin the Eagles are at WR behind them. 

I think the Eagles will be buyers in the WR market, not sellers; if they do move on from one of the main guys they've already got, it would more likely be to not re-sign Agholor.

I was just using examples. Yes I made a specific post about Jeffrey but wanted to expand upon players around the league.

You’re welcome to your opinion that he won’t be moved by Philadelphia. At the same time, Jeffrey is one of many players whose name is out there as a potential trade candidate. 

Edited by Dkollidas

23 minutes ago, Rc2catch said:

I actually think one of McDermott's post-season messages was to the contrary - that keeping leadership in each room will be a continual challenge as players retire or become FA and move on, and that failure to do so is something he saw as a "lesson learned" in Carolina.

• Like (+1) 3

1 minute ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

I actually think one of McDermott's post-season messages was to the contrary - that keeping leadership in each room will be a continual challenge as players retire or become FA and move on, and that failure to do so is something he saw as a "lesson learned" in Carolina.

"...we on the personnel side will look at it with our own eyes. Sean and his coaches are in the meeting room and might like (a certain player) more because they’ve become buddies and see the game the same way and communicate well.

“I stand back and look at it from a distance. Maybe he doesn’t want to teach a new guy, who has just a little more ability, the ins and outs of his system. It’s my job to press him on that if I think there are players who make us better in the draft or free agency.”

• Like (+1) 1

5 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

To a certain extent sure. But at this point Allen, Milano, Poyer and Hyde and maybe even smoke and Dawkins etc etc have got to set the tone for the locker room. 
Even new guys like Feliciano. 
I can’t see someone loafing it in practice or talking silly and one of those guys not putting them in their place. 
Let’s use Bosa as example since he was discussed as not a “process guy” earlier in this thread. 

If he was giving half effort during practice or in a game or just running his mouth I can’t see our players not putting him in check. Even if we break it down as positional groups in the film rooms I have to believe that guys like Star and Jerry set the tone for this kind of stuff. 
Every team needs their leaders, but for me anyways “the process” and “he’s not a process guy” stuff is long gone. They reshaped the entire team in guys who share a like mindedness with this staff. They have the culture they wanted so they can add guys who may be a little questionable on the character side now to this locker room without making it toxic. 

• Like (+1) 1