Mandalorian - DONT OPEN IF YOU HAVENT WATCHED FULL SEASON...SPOILERS

Alphadawg7

Curious to what other people who have seen the whole series thought.  I just finally finished it.  

My friend works on it, so I knew going into it the entire premise was to be a spaghetti western set in the Star Wars universe in space.  So took a little adjustment when watching it, but once I got used to it I thought it was pretty good despite some fight scenes than can sometimes be a little cheesy.  But hey, thats the spaghetti western format.

That was until I got to the final episode...AGAIN CLICK AWAY NOW IF YOU HAVENT SEEN IT...

This is where I got disappointed as it went to some really outrageous and dumb extremes and I hope they dont keep this up next season (which they have already wrapped season 2 and are about to wrap up shooting season 3 in a month).

IG-11 is killed with a single blaster shot earlier in the season by Mando, yet once he is a nurse droid he can take endless amounts of blaster shots like nothing and take out most of an imperial army while holding a baby?  Come on.  Breaking Bad's Gustavo just keeps giving them endless amounts of time to escape?  Come on, ridiculous.  The whole battle segments were silly too.  

Then the river of lava?  Really?  Did you really need to make it something so dumb as lava?  I mean their skin would melt being that close to it, not to mention IG-11 walks through it without melting?  LMAO.  Just make it river, why make it something so absurd as it didnt add to the content, it made it ridiculous.  Then Mando just hangs on to a tie fighter like no big deal with all those g forces?  He is just a human with some armor on, not like he's some Jedi with special abilities.  I mean it was all just over the top and took away from the show IMO.  

The universe and story are already so rich, don't understand why they need to take it to such absurd levels and bring the quality of the story down rather than elevate it.  

It reminds me of John McClane in Die Hard vs John McClane who can jumps cars into helicopters in Live Free and Die Hard.  There is always some suspended belief in movies/shows, then there is stuff that goes so far past absurd it takes away from the movie/show.  Like how Fast and Furious used to be about street racing, now they are super solider spies who can defy physics, gravity, and logic and are practically invincible.  I get it with that franchise, I mean they made 100 movies now.  But with the Mandalorian, its the first season with so much to offer still...no need to get so stupid.  

Edited by Alphadawg7

I thought it was dull and unimaginative. Not much difference between the “plot” and 1950s serial western. Save the village, another shoot out, jailbreak, etc. and every episode had a double-cross (and sometimes a triple-cross) and somehow the Madalorian never sees them coming.  Blah. 

1 minute ago, Max Fischer said:

I thought it was dull and unimaginative. Not much difference between the “plot” and 1950s serial western. Save the village, another shoot out, jailbreak, etc. and every episode had a double-cross (and sometimes a triple-cross) and somehow the Madalorian never sees them coming.  Blah. 

Yeah, I had the same issue with it until I just accepted the spaghetti western theme.  So I got past that part of it a bit, but the finale kinda irked me.  

The dumb thing is that this character and the universe they can create around him could have been so bad ass rather than cheesy.  Wish they would have went and made a bad ass bounty hunter series around him instead of the spaghetti western style.  

I didn't think it fit in with the spaghetti western style at all, actually. That's what disappointed me. I wanted something a little more gritty. The leading man to be a little more mysterious.

I forced myself away from that expectation as the show went on and began to like it more for what it actually was.

On 2/5/2020 at 10:28 PM, Alphadawg7 said:

IG-11 is killed with a single blaster shot earlier in the season by Mando, yet once he is a nurse droid he can take endless amounts of blaster shots like nothing and take out most of an imperial army while holding a baby?  Come on.  Mando was point blank and shot it in the head.  The machine wasn't in battle mode.  Against the Storm troopers from a distance, with comically bad aim, this didn't bother me.  Breaking Bad's Gustavo just keeps giving them endless amounts of time to escape?  This bothered me as well.  There was no reason to give them time to surrender unless he was worried about the baby dying in action.  Also, there were at least 50 troopers focused on 3 people out in the open and none of them could get a hit?  They'd show 2 of 3 main characters running around, not getting shot at.  So all 50 were focused on the 3rd?  Then, when Gusto decides to take aim, immediate hit?  Yeah, that was a bit much to me.  Come on, ridiculous.  The whole battle segments were silly too.  

Then the river of lava?  Really?  Did you really need to make it something so dumb as lava?  I mean their skin would melt being that close to it, not to mention IG-11 walks through it without melting?  LMAO.  Just make it river, why make it something so absurd as it didnt add to the content, it made it ridiculous.  Then Mando just hangs on to a tie fighter like no big deal with all those g forces?  He is just a human with some armor on, not like he's some Jedi with special abilities.  I mean it was all just over the top and took away from the show IMO.  Depending on what you read, this isn't that crazy.  Even at the end of lord of the rings, Smegal almost swims in lava and Arnold gives the thumbs up while submerged.  Some believe you would almost evaporate before you hit the lava, others believe it's not like that.  The droid could be made of a metal more resistant.  Also the whole tunnel facility was built around it, so I again assume the boat and other things were built to sustain the heat

The universe and story are already so rich, don't understand why they need to take it to such absurd levels and bring the quality of the story down rather than elevate it.  

It reminds me of John McClane in Die Hard vs John McClane who can jumps cars into helicopters in Live Free and Die Hard.  There is always some suspended belief in movies/shows, then there is stuff that goes so far past absurd it takes away from the movie/show.  Like how Fast and Furious used to be about street racing, now they are super solider spies who can defy physics, gravity, and logic and are practically invincible.  I get it with that franchise, I mean they made 100 movies now.  But with the Mandalorian, its the first season with so much to offer still...no need to get so stupid.  

• Like (+1) 1

I watched Game of Thrones over the last couple weeks and that show taught me why the Mandolorian has to wear the mask.  Running head-first into a wall will do that to you.

I enjoyed this series and look forward to more.  I wish the episodes could have been a bit longer, but other than that, nothing really bugged me too much.  Ok, maybe the weekly release of new episodes, but I can deal with that.  The stormtrooper conversations at the start of the last episode made the whole thing worth it.

It's nice to see something that picks up right after Return of the Jedi.  They really missed the boat on that with the new movies.  I'd like to see at least some signs of how things pretty much returned back to where they were over those 30 years.