New York (again)

9 hours ago, Orlando Tim said:

Florida is a max of 3% per year-so my house has more than doubled in 12 years but taxes have gone up $300 a year

Ours doubled in three years and our taxes have gone up $300 over the full three years.  Thank you prop 13. 

• 4 months later...
  • 1 month later...

New York City sues Genesee, Orleans and Wyoming counties over migrants

https://www.thedailynewsonline.com/top_story/new-york-city-sues-genesee-orleans-and-wyoming-counties-over-migrants/article_7ce44316-a5bf-5988-90dc-101b223dea3c.html

The lawsuit was announced Wednesday by Mayor Eric Adams and New York City Corporation Counsel Sylvia O. Hinds-Radix. It’s suing 31 counties along with their executive officers.

The lawsuit seeks to nullify executive orders enacted by the counties which bar hotels and municipalities from accepting migrants sent from New York City. It also seeks to recoup attorneys’ fees connected to the lawsuit, along with an further relief a judge deems proper

• Thank you (+1) 1

• 3 weeks later...

Was back in NYS a couple of weeks ago.  Spent time along the I-86 corridor from Elmira to Salamanca and even had the chance to do some fishing in the finger lakes.  It was good to see the area and family.

I was in Canisteo more than anywhere which I noticed is finishing some considerable construction.  Apparently, there is a project funded by the state as follows.....

"New York State Department of Transportation Commissioner Marie Therese Dominguez announced the beginning of an $8.6 million project to modernize State Routes 36 and 248 in the Village of Canisteo. The transformative project will resurface the roadways, add sidewalks, create dedicated turning lanes and make other improvements that will enhance safety and facilitate travel along two key thoroughfares that help connect Canisteo to the entire Southern Tier Region as well as the City of Hornell to the north. New lighting and updates to Canisteo’s downtown park will also improve the aesthetic appeal of the historic village and promote tourism."

Changes Coming To Routes 36 And 248 In Canisteo

The project is nearing completion and seeing the work performed I have to ask why.  The improvements to routes 36/248 are repaving and new curbs which in no way improved the travel along these lightly travelled roads.  The village square was modified, with new sidewalks put in on Greenwood and Main Streets.  I don't see how the changes made will revitalize the town or "promote tourism".  It's really silly to see new roads and sidewalks being constructed in front of boarded up homes and businesses.  Even if the project had improved traffic congestion is it necessary in an area that is losing population?

The project reminds me of third world countries that will "paint over" curbs to pretty up cities prior to major events.  These "paint over" economies never really improve the underlying economic issue, they just make enough surface changes to keep the populace happy.  When I see NYS doing this to towns and schools (some of the schools in the Southern Tier are impressive) I can't help but feel the same way.  Don't improve the local economies, just build some crap to appease the residents.

Wouldn't it have been better for NYS to use the $8.6 million to attract businesses/jobs to the area so an economically stable town can perform this work themselves?

• Like (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

10 minutes ago, Precision said:

Wouldn't it have been better for NYS to use the $8.6 million to attract businesses/jobs to the area so an economically stable town can perform this work themselves?

Yes, it would be.

Even better: stop trying to prop up local economies that time has passed by. We hate to see it happen, the slow death of a marginal community. But it is happening regardless of what the governments do. Back when Republicans like to call themselves "the party of ideas," there was an idea here: give people money to move away from dying localities to the parts of the country that are thriving and desperate for workers. It made sense.

You know what happened to that idea? The realignment of party coalitions happened, with rural America voting Republican. What are the chances that Mitch McConnell would approve of a plan that gave Appalachian Kentuckians the means to resettle in Texas? In Idaho? Slim and none. So both the Republicans and the Democrats must continue to subsidize their base voters: rural/small town Americans for Republicans, even if they're in a dying local economy; urban Americans in rust belt cities for Democrats.

Edited by The Frankish Reich
  • Like (+1) 1

3 hours ago, The Frankish Reich said:

Yes, it would be.

Even better: stop trying to prop up local economies that time has passed by. We hate to see it happen, the slow death of a marginal community. But it is happening regardless of what the governments do. Back when Republicans like to call themselves "the party of ideas," there was an idea here: give people money to move away from dying localities to the parts of the country that are thriving and desperate for workers. It made sense.

You know what happened to that idea? The realignment of party coalitions happened, with rural America voting Republican. What are the chances that Mitch McConnell would approve of a plan that gave Appalachian Kentuckians the means to resettle in Texas? In Idaho? Slim and none. So both the Republicans and the Democrats must continue to subsidize their base voters: rural/small town Americans for Republicans, even if they're in a dying local economy; urban Americans in rust belt cities for Democrats.

I agree that both parties are to blame in the subsidy of their constituents.  Somewhere along the way "bringing home the bacon" took the place of responsible governance which is unfortunate.  I think many of these economically depressed communities could stand a chance if government could give them the proper support and not "put in a sidewalk", "build a gym" or "paint over a dirty curb".

Edited by Precision
  • Like (+1) 1

• 4 weeks later...

The problem with hotels for migrants.

For taxpayers perturbed by their £6 million ($7.7 million) daily bill for housing asylum seekers in hotels, New York City mayor Eric Adams has the solution: handbills.

Exasperated by a sudden influx he characterizes as a “disaster,” Adams plans to dispense police-tape yellow flyers both at the city’s 188 sites for housing migrants and at America’s overrun, purely notional southern border. The leaflets warn in English and Spanish: “Since April 2022, over 90,000 migrants have come to New York City. There is no guarantee we will be able to provide shelter and services to new arrivals. Housing in NYC is very expensive. The cost of food, transportation, and other necessities is the highest in the United States. Please consider another city as you make your decision about where to settle in the US.” Well, that’s one colossal headache sorted, then. Why didn’t anyone think of flyers before?

I’m reminded of being paid a pittance to distribute leaflets for a Little Richard concert in Atlanta in 1973 — a thankless task. Most pedestrians wouldn’t accept one. A few politely did, then immediately threw it away unread, often on the sidewalk; this was largely an exercise in secondary littering.

I had no idea that such modest slips of paper would prove the ingenious answer to a municipal crisis fifty years later. Why, now that the Big Apple is falling back on retro advertising tactics, let’s skywrite above the Rio Grande, “Don’t ♥ New York!” Or maybe Adams should try his hand at radio jingles: “Other cities hit the spot. Ninety thousand, that’s a lot. Twice as much for a burger, too. Other cities are the place for you!”

Yet aside from exhibiting a certain, well, ineffectual quality, these leaflets are brandishing the high cost of necessities at a population that doesn’t plan on paying for them.

https://thespectator.com/topic/problem-hotels-migrants-new-york-britain/

• Like (+1) 1

• 4 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

LOL !

Biden administration officials shift blame for NYC migrant crisis on to Mayor Eric Adams

because there is 'no exit strategy' to house them after they're released from shelters

by Laura Parnaby

Biden administration officials have blamed Mayor Eric Adams for New York's out-of-control migrant crisis as tensions heat up between the Democrat factions. Department of Homeland Security employees have blasted the mayor's office for having 'no exit strategy' for the 10,000 refugees the city takes in each month. Their comments are the latest example of the president's inner circle passing the humanitarian issue like a hot potato to local officials who in turn shunt responsibility back to the White House.

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-12513847/Biden-Eric-Adams-migrant-crisis-blame.html

• Like (+1) 1