Gregg Rosenthal says "Make Josh Allen's life easier"

Dopey

22 hours ago, Steptide said:

You could make the argument that the bills should've taken Metcalf over oliver in last years draft. I like the beasley and brown signings, but past those 2, we don't really have any recievers. I'm interested to see if Duke williams becomes anything, but we still need a few solid recievers. 

This is where Zay Jones and Kroft really hurt us IMO. 

Zay was McDermott's pick - traded up for him - and they felt he had flashed at the end of last season.  They were counting on him to take a step, and be at least WR#3.

He had looked good in preseason, too! 

Kroft was our 4th biggest "money spend" on offense, right up there with Beasley.

So our receiver situation was supposed to be Brown/Beasley/Jones/Kroft with wild-card competition from McKensie, Foster and Duke at WR and Croom/Knox/Sweeney at TE.   Only after a few games, it was pretty clear that Jones was NOT gonna step up; Kroft was injured and Croom put on IR; Duke needed more work in the playbook I think.

On 1/29/2020 at 6:07 AM, Steptide said:

The thing that's always surprised me is that McDermott always credits Andy Reid as being a big influence/mentor to him, yet for 3 seasons we've seen a lack of focus on the offense. This upcoming draft really needs to focus on the offense. We need 2 more solid recievers that will be a part of this team for 5 years or longer. I think we're ok at tight end. Get some depth at o line in the later rounds and I think we'll be in pretty good shape for 2020

McD's focus on the roster was to gut the roster and build it and the culture of the team from the ground up. The 2017 team was a fairly mid-level offense with some of its best players often injured (Glenn, Clay and Watkins) and a lot of other key players on the older and likely to be declining side (Shady and InCog.) The QB was a decent QB but one who had limitations and had most likely reached his ceiling. I think a tear down was completely justified. And it took 2 years to trade away players or let their contracts get into a place where they could be cut. 

I do agree that in 2018 they could have handled the QB situation much better as I think the plan was to never have Josh start on that depleted offense for a large chunk of that season but they bungled the whole Peterman thing big time. But by 2019 they spent almost all of their cap space and 3 out of their first 4 draft choices on the offensive end. Yes the WR position was left a little lacking but they did bring in two quality professional WR's and there was only so much they could do in one off-season. 

I think that once McBeane had the cap space to build around the QB they really started to invest in the offense in a real way. They essentially rebuild and O-line, backfield and upgraded the WR position significantly in one off-season, when all they had were 2 starters from 2018.  

• Like (+1) 1

15 hours ago, Chaos said:

The way rookie contracts work, there is a limited amount of time.  Compare the Chiefs in year 2 of Mahomes and the Bills in year 2 of Allen. Or compare year 2 for Lamar Jackson to year 2 of Allen. 

There isn't a limited amount of time. There's hopefully around 15 years. Yeah, he's only on a rookie contract for a few of those, but the end of the rookie contract isn't the end of success.

And please. Did Mahomes or Lamar Jackson do their college time at Wyoming? Allen was always going to take more time to develop than most, you had to know that when you drafted him. More, neither of those two teams did a rebuild as the Bills did. Their rosters were already quite good. We had nine new starters on offense this year. This was always very likely indeed to take some time.

On 1/29/2020 at 9:07 AM, Steptide said:

The thing that's always surprised me is that McDermott always credits Andy Reid as being a big influence/mentor to him, yet for 3 seasons we've seen a lack of focus on the offense. This upcoming draft really needs to focus on the offense. We need 2 more solid recievers that will be a part of this team for 5 years or longer. I think we're ok at tight end. Get some depth at o line in the later rounds and I think we'll be in pretty good shape for 2020

It's interesting that people keep saying we need to focus on offense in this draft, as if Beane and McDermott have ignored it.

Look at last year, 3 of the first 4 picks were offense: Ford, Singletary, and Knox.

But, I do agree more help is needed ... a receiver, another quality back if in the right place in the draft, and more o-linemen. And, I wouldn't be opposed to quality QB for a backup role.

3 hours ago, Thurman#1 said:

There isn't a limited amount of time. There's hopefully around 15 years. Yeah, he's only on a rookie contract for a few of those, but the end of the rookie contract isn't the end of success.

And please. Did Mahomes or Lamar Jackson do their college time at Wyoming? Allen was always going to take more time to develop than most, you had to know that when you drafted him. More, neither of those two teams did a rebuild as the Bills did. Their rosters were already quite good. We had nine new starters on offense this year. This was always very likely indeed to take some time.

It makes zero sense that you get fewer weapons and less offensive support to go with the guy with the lesser college experience.  

2 hours ago, CSBill said:

It's interesting that people keep saying we need to focus on offense in this draft, as if Beane and McDermott have ignored it.

Look at last year, 3 of the first 4 picks were offense: Ford, Singletary, and Knox.

But, I do agree more help is needed ... a receiver, another quality back if in the right place in the draft, and more o-linemen. And, I wouldn't be opposed to quality QB for a backup role.

I agree that they addressed the offense last year, but it's not finished. I mean you look at the 2 teams in the Super Bowl, and both those teams are loaded with offensive talent, and it really didn't take them that long to build. 

• Like (+1) 1

On 1/29/2020 at 11:54 PM, brianthomas said:

Yeah i agree with your assessment of the oline overall. As for the screen passes. You saw them called more often in the 1st half of the season, but then as the season went on it seemed Daboll used them less & less. I havent analyzed everyone, to be frank i'd have no idea how to even do that. But just from watching every game I can tell you more often than not that when we ran one i was scared to death.

Other teams implement them vs us to great success & there is a smooth movement of the play where it baits our defense & off the play goes. But when we ran them on some throws the ball was thrown like a missile, getting there faster than Ford or Dawkins could run, since a fastball isnt the type of throw thats needed & the ball bounces off the rb's hands as you'd expect for a throw so close... (if the rb even turned around at all before the ball got there). Or Allen would over compensate and the ball would have a larger than normal arc with more touch & the ball would take too long to get there, giving the defense that split second of more time to recognize what was going on.

I think its been pretty well discussed here some of the issues Allen has controlling his velocity on shorter throws that need some touch to them. And i'm a big fan of Josh so im not trying to be unfair to him. But i think Daboll took them out of the play book to a good extent simply because that play wasnt working for us & was an accident waiting to happen. And its a play i think we really need in our arsenal to help keep defenses honest & to use our shifty RB in space with blockers out in front of him. The few times where it did work, helped us out a lot. Like the 49 yarder to Singletary vs Washington. These types of plays can really help take the pressure off of Allen... when successful.

I know i can't be the only one who thinks this way. I know the Buffalo News had a few articles where they talk about our inability to execute those plays. But theyre behind a paywall & im not gonna subscribe. But its not like Daboll just stopped calling screen passes willy nilly for the hell of it. Hopefully someone else with more knowledge on the subject can speak to it. But that'd be my general assessment of the whole subject as a fan watching.

I was thinking throughout the year that a 'Screen Pass Coordinator' might be a good hire.

Could give him a different title, but we definitely need focused help.  Lots of room for improvement

• Like (+1) 2