The Next Pandemic: SARS-CoV-2/COVID-19

Hedge

3 minutes ago, oldmanfan said:

There are several companies with vaccines that have passed Phase 3.  I would have to read up more, but at least some of them are mRNA based and not attenuated virus, which should enable more rapid production.  Storage for the Pfizer one will be a challenge since it requires very low temperature, but others not.

It will be a real logistical effort to be sure but having enough for the US population by June 1 seems plausible.  The best minds in the world are attacking it.

Thanks OldMan. A well reasoned, non-political response.  I was simply pointing out just how many tests have been done, through all of the various surges, and all of the lines at testing sites, and just how long it has taken to do them. It's taken months and months, and we still only have four states that have administered enough tests to equate to their entire population. Again.... 330 million of anything is an awful lot of anything. 

• Like (+1) 1

21 minutes ago, SoCal Deek said:

Thanks OldMan. A well reasoned, non-political response.  I was simply pointing out just how many tests have been done, through all of the various surges, and all of the lines at testing sites, and just how long it has taken to do them. It's taken months and months, and we still only have four states that have administered enough tests to equate to their entire population. Again.... 330 million of anything is an awful lot of anything. 

You also get people that don't believe in it and will never get tested.

17 minutes ago, TBBills said:

You also get people that don't believe in it and will never get tested.

TB....I'm afraid that you're completely missing the point of this purely academic discussion....but thanks for trying, and especially for not including any name-calling, etc.

6 minutes ago, SoCal Deek said:

TB....I'm afraid that you're completely missing the point of this purely academic discussion....but thanks for trying, and especially for not including any name-calling, etc.

No, I understand you are worried at how are they going to administer vaccines to that many people... That isn't an issue it will happen over the course of the next year 

Just now, TBBills said:

No, I understand you are worried at how are they going to administer vaccines to that many people... That isn't an issue it will happen over the course of the next year 

I'm not 'worried'. I'm just making a purely statistical observation using the recorded figures from testing.  It just so happened that I noticed today that only those four states just within the week achieved or surpassed that level of testing. The World-O-Meter site lists the interesting column of Tests Per Million for each state. Only four have reached the 1 million per million mark. 

Just now, SoCal Deek said:

I'm not 'worried'. I'm just making a purely statistical observation using the recorded figures from testing.  It just so happened that I noticed today that only those four states just within the week achieved or surpassed that level of testing. The World-O-Meter site lists the interesting column of Tests Per Million for each state. Only four have reached the 1 million per million mark. 

So basically you only wanted to put in some statistics that have no bearing on the vaccine distribution? Ok continue on...

2 minutes ago, TBBills said:

So basically you only wanted to put in some statistics that have no bearing on the vaccine distribution? Ok continue on...

Actually it would be very similar, with certain sectors going first, then others, and then others, while the first sector is also making appointments for a second booster injection that most likely has to occur on a specific time regiment to effective.

On 12/1/2020 at 3:19 PM, Big Blitz said:

No.  They would not have over an airborne virus that may or may not have been a biological attack on the planet by a country that sees the world growing more hostile to its policies.  

Let's ignore that.  Everyone else is.

Was the Spanish flu's death toll Woodrow Wilson's fault?  The media back then would have never been so political and stupid as to even ask such a question.  Thats only possible when you live among people that are begging to be ruled not governed.  But that generation was built different than the one currently that thinks there are 65 genders and it can lower the temperature of the Earth---as if that's a good thing.  

you do realize Trump was the one who turned the virus into a political statement , not the media, right ? 

you do also realize thousands of officials from all over the world have stated how terrible the US federal government has responded to the pandemic , right? 

There’s no conspiracy here. There wasn’t in April and it’s the same now. 

• Like (+1) 2

On 8/3/2020 at 3:25 PM, Magox said:

I think we will begin trending down slightly beginning sometime in mid to late August.  Not sure it will be a precipitous drop since other regions are starting to bubble up but the main population zones as you mentioned will have burnt out and will start trending lower.  

I do think we will hit new lows in deaths by time late September comes around.

On 12/2/2020 at 4:08 PM, SoCal Deek said:

Dude, you could ditch the victim complex.

You were not clear with your OP in regards to why you dumped your factoid regarding testing.

Then over the course of several responses you both lectured folks for assuming the point you failed to make while gradually honing in on what it actually was.

You weren't clear and folks filled in the blanks. That is all, no lecturing or moralizing required.

Edited by WideNine
  • Like (+1) 1

My wife works for the local health system, directly with super sick patients in their homes in home care. Today they had a meeting where they were told they expect vaccines within the next 10 days and will be distributing them based on job (covid-exposed workers first) by lottery. My wife is in the first group it seems and will be getting the vaccine as soon as she's able. 

I saw this as a really good bit of non-political news. It's coming and it's coming soon. 

• Like (+1) 1

13 hours ago, Penfield45 said:

you do realize Trump was the one who turned the virus into a political statement , not the media, right ? 

you do also realize thousands of officials from all over the world have stated how terrible the US federal government has responded to the pandemic , right? 

He/she/it realizes all that but he/she/it refuses to admit that his lord and master f'd up on his response to the pandemic and lost the election because of it.

4 hours ago, shoshin said:

My wife works for the local health system, directly with super sick patients in their homes in home care. Today they had a meeting where they were told they expect vaccines within the next 10 days and will be distributing them based on job (covid-exposed workers first) by lottery. My wife is in the first group it seems and will be getting the vaccine as soon as she's able. 

I saw this as a really good bit of non-political news. It's coming and it's coming soon. 

I'd appreciate it if you post which one she gets and how the side effects are.  TIA.

• Like (+1) 1

18 hours ago, Penfield45 said:

Trump's messaging was horrible but we're pretty close in deaths per capita compared to other major European countries (UK, Spain, France, Italy).  It's a little unfair to pin it all on him and I'm glad he lost.

1 hour ago, GaryPinC said:

I'd appreciate it if you post which one she gets and how the side effects are.  TIA.

100%. I assume she'll be the first person I know to get a vaccine (though my brother and his wife are nurses who work on Covid floors in Buffalo so they will be up there too). 

We should all share the early experiences, just to spread the good news. The Calvary is coming. 

• Awesome! (+1) 1

19 hours ago, Penfield45 said:

You do realize that many believe it wasn't, and still isn't, the President who turned this into a political statement, right?

Let's see if those same "thousands of officials from all over the world" also then reject the use of an American made vaccine.